The Ritenour Review
2016 - 2017 Third Grade Weekly News
ISTEP Part 1
This week, your child will take his/her first State Standardized test. The last few weeks we have been practicing the formats of the test and getting familiar with the layout - mostly to ease their minds when they see the real thing.
If you’re wondering how you might be able to help your third grader deal with the ISTEP, mention the following tips to your student: 1) Don’t stress 2) Eat right 3) Don’t stress 4) Sleep well 5) Don’t stress and finally, did I mention? 6) Don’t stress. Seriously, let’s remember this is an important opportunity for your student to show what he/she knows. Also, let’s remember it’s one of many ways that we evaluate progress and academic mastery as well as share success and the joys of learning. With that in mind, here’s the schedule:
- Tuesday, February 28th - Math
- Wednesday, March 1st - Reading
- Thursday, March 2nd - Writing
Please send your child with a snack all three testing days. After each session, it is nice for each child to have a refueling snack and a moment to socialize with his/her friends before we continue with the day's schedule.
ISTEP Good Luck Notes:
If you have not sent in notes already, please send in THREE good luck notes for your child. These make a HUGE difference in their happiness each day of testing. Thank you for helping!
- Reading: We focused on the climax of the story. To excite their minds, I showed the kids an old science experiment - vinegar and baking soda. We talked a lot about how the moment those two ingredients meet, they have a strong reaction and bubble over the cup - much like a story's climax!
- Math: During our short week, we reviewed all of the new skills they mastered during the sixth unit and they were able to show what they've learned.
- Social Studies: We are navigating supply vs. demand.
Language Arts: We will finish up Wonder and look for the final climax!
Math: Due to testing, we will not start Unit 7 this week. We will do some fun review activities and practice our fact fluency.
Word Study: We will not have a sort this week,
Social Studies: Economics!
The New Grow Tower in STEM Class
- February 28th: First day of ISTEP Part 1
- March 1: Second Day of ISTEP Part 1
- March 2: Last day of ISTEP Part 1
- March 8th - Spring BME Blood Drive (BME Cafe 3:00-6:30)
- March 9th - PTO Meeting (BME Cafe at 6:00)
- March 13th - IREAD-3 testing begins
- March 22nd - Family Wellness Night (evening event - more details to come)
- March 24th - School Dress-Up: Favorite Pro or College Sports Team
- March 28th - Kindergarten Round-Up (click here for more info)
If you would like to order books for your child through scholastic's website, please click on the link above. Checks can still be sent to the classroom and I will mail the orders.