4-H Friday News Blast for 9.27.19
Ever Thought of Organizing a New 4-H Club?
Continental Giant Rabbit Show - Saturday, September 28th
Hosted by Cass Monster Hares 4-H Club
Cass County 4-Hers, have some fun and celebrate Cass County 4-H during National 4-H Week!
Plan some of your own things to do:
- Participate in a community service project like: picking up trash, doing yard work for someone in your community, etc.
- Make a poster to hang in a business window or at school (get permission first)
- Make a sign to put up in your yard.
- Give a report at your school about 4-H.
- The list could go on and on. Be creative in promoting 4-H and educating others about 4-H!
Attention administrators, teachers, friends of teachers, parents, and others:
Below is a PDF of the extended learning opportunities brochure that we deliver to the schools in the county. Tracy and Lauren have revamped and they are very excited to share it with teachers and administrators in the county! This brochure includes a list of the variety of curriculum that we are offering for the 2019-2020 school year.
We welcome you to look at the curriculum available to youth in the county, and if you like what you see please talk to teachers in Cass County! We would love to interact and engage with schools in the community and it would be great if you could encourage teachers to take advantage of these opportunities.
October 15th - Another 15th Date to Remember ... Due date for Nebraska 4-H Achievement Applications for Trips and Awards
4-H members ages 15-18 as of December 31 of the current year are eligible to participate in the state-level Nebraska 4-H Achievement Application. The application is a standard application form used for the selection of state award winners, including Nebraska delegates to National 4-H Congress and National 4-H Conference, as well as Nebraska 4-H Foundation scholarship award recipients.
Due date is October 15th, and more details can be found here: https://4h.unl.edu/achievement-application
We encourage you to apply! Every Cass County 4-Her who applies will receive a $20.00 cash prize from the Cass County 4-H Council! It's true!
Nominations for 4-H Council Members
Some people love that kind of involvement and work. If that's you, please speak up. We are currently taking names for new council members.
Youth council members must be age 14 or older, and are part of the decision making process in the Cass County 4-H Program. Youth Council Members have all the voting privileges of the adult 4-H Council Members.
Click on the following link and take a look at the "job description" of council members: https://4h.unl.edu/council-handbook/section-4
Also, check out the constitution of the Cass County 4-H Council on our website at: https://extension.unl.edu/statewide/cass/4-h-resources/#tab4
Nebraska 4-H Shooting Sports Leader Certification Workshop Offered in Lincoln
Information can be found on our website at: https://extension.unl.edu/statewide/cass/nebraska-4-h-shooting-sports-leader-certification-workshop-offered-in-lincoln-ne/
Nebraska State 4-H Camp to Host Annual 4-H Foundation Trail Ride
Make it Yourself with Wool
Love to sew, and learn from others who sew? Consider the Make it Yourself with Wool contest: https://extension.unl.edu/statewide/cass/make-it-yourself-with-wool-contest/
4HOnline Shut Down for Maintenance
Questions - call the Extension Office at 402-267-2205.
KUDOS to our new educator ...
County 4-H Calendar
- Continental Giant Rabbit Show - September 28th
- AkSarBen Stock Show - Sept 26-29
- National 4-H Week - October 6-12
- 4HOnline Shut down for Maintenance - Oct 1 - Oct 15
- 2020 4HOnline re-enrollments and new enrollments begin - October 16th
- Nebraska 4-H Fed Steer Challenge Application Deadline - October 1
- Nebraska 4-H Achievement Trips and Awards - due October 15th
- Youth in Action - application due October 21st
- Shooting Sports Training at the Ashland Gun Club - October 26-27
- 4-H Achievement Party at the EXPO - November 3, 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Prudential Spirit of Community Awards application due: November 5th spirit.prudential.com
- Nebraska Youth Beef Leadership Symposium - Nov. 8-10 in Lincoln
- 4-H Council Meeting - November 18
- Make it Yourself with Wool - November 23
- National Catch-a-Calf applications due: December 1st
- Summer Camps announced for 2020
Ag Information & Other Opportunities:
- October Ag Line Newsletter
- Hort Update
- Gardening articles by Sarah Browning
- Recorded Webinar and info on "Hunting Leases" with vital information for landowners
- Nebraska Extension Publications ... online Library
Cass County Extension Board Meeting ... October 14, 2019 at 5:30 pm
Become a Master Gardener ... for 2020 program, register by January 17, 2020
4-H Mission Statement
4-H Empowers youth to reach their full potential,
working and learning in partnership with caring adults.
The 4-H Vision
A world in which youth and adults
learn, grow and work together
as catalysts for positive change.
I pledge my Head to clearer thinking,
My Heart to greater loyalty,
My Hands to larger service, and
My Health to better living,
For my club, my community, my country and my world!
To Make the Best Better!
The 4-H colors are green and white.
Green, nature's most prominent color, symbolizes growth.
The white symbolizes purity and high ideals.
Nebraska Extension Cass County
Lauren Stohlmann, Extension Educator and Unit Leader, firstname.lastname@example.org
Katie Kreuser, Extension Educator, email@example.com
Tracy Ensor, Extension Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sondra Buell, Office Manager, email@example.com
General Mailbox, firstname.lastname@example.org