APRIL 2022 FAMILY UPDATE
GOOD NEWS & IMPORTANT NEWS FROM PROPEL SCHOOLS
FROM THE DESK OF DR. CHEKAN CEO/SUPERINTENDENT
First, let me start by wishing you all a wonderful, relaxing and peaceful spring break! There will be no school for scholars on Friday, April 15, and Monday, April 18. On Tuesday, April 19, scholars will engage in asynchronous learning. We look forward to our scholars' return to the buildings on Wednesday, April 20.
Spring is always a busy time at Propel Schools -- and this year is no exception! Please keep reading to learn more about all of our upcoming events and opportunities. I especially encourage you to complete the Family Survey that was shared with all families on April 8! Your voice matters and we value your thoughts, so please share them with us! More information about how to complete the survey can be found in this communication.
As always, thank you for your time and your support! We are #PropelProud that you have chosen us as your partner in education!
Dr. Tina Chekan
REMINDER - FAMILY SURVEY
PSSA TESTING INFORMATION
The testing cycle will begin on April 26, 2022 and will conclude on May 6, 2022.
Scholars will use their Chromebooks to complete the testing in their classrooms. Please be sure that your scholar brings their Chromebook to school fully charged and ready for testing. Be sure that the scholar also has their Chromebook charger with them as well.
- PSSA testing will consist of three English Language Arts sections, two Math sections, and two Science sections (for fourth and eighth grades only.
Please be sure that your scholar gets plenty of sleep during the testing cycle and eats a good breakfast on the mornings of the testing. Both breakfast and lunch will be available at school on the days of the testing.
- Scholar attendance is vital during the testing period and scholars should also arrive at school on time. If your scholar is absent from school on a testing day, make-up days will be scheduled accordingly. If your scholar misses a testing day for transportation-related reasons, they will also be able to make up the missed testing as necessary.
THIS LETTER from the PA Department of Education provides general information about the testing process as well as the schedule of testing.
Questions about PSSA testing? Please reach out to your scholar's teacher or school leadership team. Thank you for you support!
SUMMER JOBS FOR SCHOLARS!
IMPORTANT CHANGES TO HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS IMPLEMENTED BY THE PENNSYLVANIA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION!
Effective with the graduating class of 2023, our current Junior class, students have the option to demonstrate postsecondary preparedness through additional pathways that more fully illustrate college, career, and community readiness. These pathways can be seen HERE and below.
All Propel high school families should have received THIS LETTER regarding these changes and how they may impact your scholar.
COMING TO YOU SOON: 2022-2023 SCHOLAR INTENT TO RETURN FORMS
We gather this information so that we are able to continue our planning process for the 2022-2023 school year:
- Having data regarding the number of scholars who will be returning allows us to estimate class sizes and then make registration offers to families of scholars who are on our waiting lists.
- Having data regarding the scholars who will not be returning will allow our school teams to efficiently work with families who will be withdrawing scholars at the end of the year and collaborate regarding the sharing of scholar records with the new schools.
You will receive (via Connect 5 email) a link that will allow you to complete one form for each of your scholars. We thank you in advance for your time in completing the form in a timely manner.
Please note that if your scholars will not be returning to Propel Schools for the 2022-2023 school year, it is mandatory that technology devices (iPads and/or Chromebooks) are returned to the school before scholar records can be sent to the new schools. Your Propel School will be reaching out with additional information about the end-of-year collection of technology devices.
BHMS & MMS TRACK TEAMS STILL ACCEPTING MEMBERS!
PROPEL NORTHSIDE COMMUNITY WELLNESS CENTER FREESTORE UPDATE
JUNE 29, 2022 IS PROPEL SCHOOLS DAY AT KENNYWOOD PARK!
Visit www.kennywood.com and follow the instructions below.
Click on the BUY TICKETS tab on the home page, and select TICKETS from the dropdown.
Click on the orange BUY NOW button on this page.
In the top left corner, select PROMO CODE. A box will appear where you will enter your district’s promo code.
Once entered, click SUBMIT.
Select the number of tickets you would like to purchase, and click NEXT.
You must select a date to visit. Surcharges may apply if tickets are used on a different date other than selected. Please note that school picnic tickets are not valid after June 30, 2022.
Follow all remaining prompts to purchase your school picnic tickets!
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER!
- FRIDAY, APRIL 15 - SPRING BREAK- ALL BUILDINGS CLOSED
- MONDAY, APRIL 18 - SPRING BREAK - ALL BUILDINGS CLOSED
- TUESDAY, APRIL 19 - ASYNCHRONOUS LEARNING DAY FOR SCHOLARS/PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DAY FOR EDUCATORS
- APRIL 26 -- PSSA TESTING BEGINS FOR GRADES 3-8
- MAY 16 - MAY 27 KEYSTONE TESTING FOR HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARS
- MAY 30 - MEMORIAL DAY - ALL BUILDINGS CLOSED
- JUNE 8 - PROPEL HIGH SCHOOLS GRADUATION
- JUNE 14 -LAST DAY OF SCHOOL FOR SCHOLARS
- JUNE 29 - PROPEL SCHOOLS DAY AT KENNYWOOD PARK
- JUNE 20 - JUNETEENTH HOLIDAY (OBSERVED) - PROPEL BUILDINGS CLOSED
- JULY 4 - INDEPENDENCE DAY HOLIDAY - PROPEL BUILDINGS CLOSED