Mrs. Carlson's Weekly Newsletter
A Peek Into Our Week
The Life of Mrs. Carlson
Happy New Year! I hope you all had a wonderful winter break and are ready for the 2nd half of the year!
This is a picture of Molly and me on the day we celebrated her and Emma's first birthday!
Don't forget to follow me on Twitter!!
Reminders and Annoucements
Clear, 2 liter bottles: In preparation for the new science unit, I am looking for donations of the clear, old style, 2 liter bottles. The goal is for each student to bring in 3 bottles. Please remove the product label and cap before bringing it in. Thank you so much in advanced for your help!
Scholastic book orders are placed the last Friday of each month. Please click on the link below to place an online order. The next order will be placed Thursday January 28th.
Reading Log: Students should be logging 30 minutes of reading at least 4 days per week. After reading is complete students should fill out the reading log and have you initial.
*January Reading Log due: Thursday January 28th
- January 11th- PTA Meeting 7 p.m. in the Addams Media Center
- Monday January 18th- No School in observation of MLK day.
- January 29th- No School- Records Day
- February 2nd- PTA Talent Show Auditions
- February 5th- Girls Sports Night
Odds and Ends
- Spelling Test and Homework due: this Friday January 15th
- There will be a guest teacher on Thursday January 14th. I will be at a science conference at Oakland Schools.
Late Start Dates:
Questions to Ask Your Child
- Did you book shop this week? What books are you currently reading in Reader's Workshop?
- Did you check any books out of Mrs. Carlson's library this week? If not, try to find a book and bring it home this week!
- Tell me about your adventure/survival unit. What book are you reading? What are you looking forward to the most about the new reading unit?
- Did you bring home your Friday Folder?
- Can you share your planner with me?
- In Math we began our new unit on division by taking a pretest.
- In Reading we began our new adventure survival unit.
- Students previewed and selected their books and formed book club groups of 4.
- This expands our groups from 2 people to 4 people. Students will practice how to manage with bigger groups in reading discussions.
Students worked together to light the light bulb! Students learned that in order for electricity to flow, it must be connected in a circle or circuit.
Thank You PTA
Student's thanked the PTA for providing our classroom with 25 new books through the Scholastic Book Fair.
Students took a picture in front of our new wooden mailboxes! My brother- in- law was kind enough to make them and we are so excited to use them!
Thank You PTA
dive into their adventure/survival book club books.
learn about their character
keep track of events and time using a timeline.
prepare for discussions with 5 star jots.
MATH: Unit 3 Division
- learn new vocabulary and identifying numbers in a division problem.
- learn and practice dividing with remainders
- learn long division strategies for large numbers
SCIENCE: Unit 3- Magnetism and Electricity
- continue investigating electricity with simple and series circuits.