Upper Dublin in Review...
Legislative Meeting Briefs - January 2021
Board of School Directors
January is School Director Appreciation Month! We extend our sincere gratitude to our Board of School Directors for their dedicated service to the students, staff, and community of Upper Dublin! Click here to learn more about School Directors and their roles.
UDSD Board of School Directors
Dr. Darlene Davis, President; Mr. Jeffrey Wallack, Vice President
Ms. Amy Francek, Mr. Michael Henderson, Ms. Jennifer Iannitti, Dr. Art Levinowitz, Mr. Stanley Ropski, Ms. Titia Scherpbier, Mr. Mark Sirota
President's Welcome and Reports to the Board of School Directors
President's Welcome & Reports to the Board
- President's Welcome - Ms. Francek welcomed everyone to the meeting and recapped a number of recent District events including a very successful MLK Day of Service.
- Student Government Association Report - Daniel Caplan shared information about happenings at UDHS. Click here to read Daniel's full report.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Yanni presented his monthly Superintendent's Report. Please click here to read Dr. Yanni's full report.
- Lunar New Year Celebration
- Holocaust Remembrance Day
Recommended Action Items for Approval
Education Committee Recommendations
- Curriculum - The Board approved student field trips and professional learning conferences.
- Pupil Services - The Board approved the 2020 Extended School Year (ESY) program. The Board also approved a confidential educational agreement and a service agreement with an independent contractor.
Finance Committee Recommendations (includes Operations and Transportation)
- Routine Matters - The Board approved routines matters such as a list of excess, obsolete, and non-repairable equipment for disposal, the review of the Treasurer's Report, the list of bill payments, budget transfers, and the spring sports bid for high school and middle school athletics.
- Other Matters - The Board accepted the bid by Munn Roofing Corporation for roof repairs at FWES and approved professional services and set up fees for a PowerSchool COGNOS Finance Reporting software update, Traversa Transportation software contract addendum, Frontline contract renewal for critical Human Resources and Pupil Services software, agreement with Austill's Rehabilitation Services, Inc. (Theraplay, Inc.), and appraisal services agreements with Valbridge Property Advisors for two properties involved in assessment appeals.
- The Board also approved the adoption of the 2020-2021 Eastern Center for Arts & Technology budget.
Personnel Committee Recommendations
- Routine Matters - The Board approved the personnel report, inclusive of appointments, leaves of absence, changes of status, mentors, and extracurricular activities.
- Other Matters - The Board took action to abolish the position of Director of Pupil Services and to add the position of Secondary Supervisor of Special Education.
Policy Committee Recommendations
The Board approved second readings of the following policies:
- Local Board Procedure - Functions (003)
- Resource Materials and Instructional Supplies (109)
- Religion in Schools (132)
- Electronic Devices (237)
- Pest Management (716)
- repeal of Celebration of Holidays (231.1) and Instructional Materials (110)
The Board affirmed the following first readings:
- Class Size (126)
- Involvement of Parents/Guardians in the Title 1 Program (131)
- Use of Medications (210)
- Allergies (210.2)
- Copyright Material (814)
- Social Media and Electronic Communications (817)
- District Annual Assessment of Pupils (919)
- repeal of Energy Management (823), Paper Reduction (830), Internet Website Content (815.3), Website Use and Linking (815.4), and Software Licensing/Copyright Policy (815.5)
Other Business Recommendations
- PSBA Principles of Governance and Leadership - The Board reaffirmed PSBA's Principles of Governance and Leadership. Click here to read the Principles of Governance and Leadership.
- Liaison Committee Reports - Reports from Montgomery County Intermediate Unit, Montgomery County Legislative Committee, Eastern Center for Arts & Technology, Equity and Empowerment Steering Committee, Educational Advisory Committee, Pennsylvania School Boards Association, Upper Dublin Township, and Upper Dublin Education Foundation.
- Solicitor's Report - Mr. Diasio reported that the Board met in Executive session preceding the meeting to discuss personnel matters, Special Education litigation, and a confidential student matter.
Community Input and Follow-Up Comments
- Proposed Student Civic Engagement policy
- Student led voter registration drives
- Civics curriculum