Slippery And Slimy Dissection
Earthworm Dissection Lab
1. Name the organs of an Earthworm.
2. Describe the appearance of various organs in the Earthworm.
These are organs labeled that are on the external of the earthworm.
These are all the organs labeled on the internal of the earthworm.
Functions Of Circulatory Organs
Intestine: Breaks down food and blood circulating absorbs it.
Anus: The opening of the intestine.
Aortic Arches: Tubes that keep blood flowing.
Ventral Vessel: blood moves through to tubes called aortic arches.
Dorsal Vessel: Blood moves through to tubes called aortic arches.
1. There are around 6,000 species of earthworms.
2. Earthworms breathe through their skin.
3. There is a disease called Guinea Worm disease or also called Dracunculiasis; There is a link below to more information on this disease.
4. The largest worm in the world can grow up to 3 meters in length that lives in Australia.
5. Charles darwin thought of worms as "The intenstines of the Earth."
Annelida was the 4th to last phylum on this cladogram.
Gardeners tend to like earthworms because they mix the soil, loosening it and moving nutrients around. Earthworms even shred leftover plant parts into smaller fragments eaten by microorganisms. In these ways, earthworms can improve and enrich the soil, allowing garden and certain crop plants to grow better.