WINTER PARK BAND Weekly Newsletter
November 1, 2020
Orchestra Winds and Percussion Rehearsal
Tuesday, Nov. 3rd, 3-4pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
Full Outdoor Band Rehearsal
Thursday, Nov. 5th, 3-5pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
From Mr. Clemente
Dear Winter Park Band families,
I hope everyone is enjoying a relaxing Halloween long weekend! Happy November!
Tuesday, November 3 will be the first rehearsal of the year for the Orchestra Winds and Percusison. This is a group of select students from the Wind Symphony who perform with the strings as a part of the Park Philharmonic Orchestra. For our new parents, this ensemble is fairly unique to the other high schools in the area, as we are one of a few schools that has a year-round full orchestra with strings, winds, and percussion. Orchestra Winds and Percussion Students: ensure that your part is prepared and you are ready to perform prior to rehearsal on Tuesday.
Our final regular season football game performance is this coming Friday, 11/6. Orange Pep Band will be performing at this game. Please see the event above for the itinerary.
We now know for certain that the football team will be hosting a home playoff game on Friday, 11/13. The pep band performing at this football game will be made up of student volunteers. Students who wish to perform at the playoff game on 11/13 will use the link below to sign up for a spot under their instrument part. Sign up ASAP to ensure you have a spot at the game! If we are still in need of students to fill certain sections, I will be assigning students to fill those gaps. The Drumline and Drum Majors are assigned to the game already since their parts/roles are essential to the performance of the pep band as a whole.
As you may have seen already on the Band calendar, we have added a Full Outdoor Band Recording Session on the afternoon of Tuesday, 11/17. Since we've been able to focus so much this year on our traditional marching band music, as well as lots of "stands tunes," Mr Smith and I want to create something to show for all of our student's hard work. The recordings from this session will be made available to our Band families at no cost.
It's time to show your Winter Park Band spirit with our Band Spirit Wear! Please see below in the newsletter for more details, pricing, and photos of the items and color options available for purchase. This year we've added even more options and logos to choose from. Spirit Wear makes a perfect holiday gift!
I hope everyone has a great week!
From the Band Booster President
Week of November 1, 2020
Thank you to everyone who helped on Thursday night! This Friday is the last home game of the regular season. Orange Pep Band is playing, so please volunteer if you are able. We only have 2 volunteer spots left and would so appreciate your help to cheer on our wonderful band.
I hope you had a relaxing 3-day weekend. Have a great week everyone!
BAND SPIRIT WEAR ORDER: 11/2 - 11/16
Let’s all show our Winter Park Band spirit with spirit wear! Spirit wear is now available for purchase for any current Band student, parent, family member, or alumni. Makes a perfect holiday gift!
Orders for spirit wear must be placed on SchoolPay.com by Monday, November 16, 2020. Items will be available for pickup at school beginning after Thanksgiving Break.
Prices per item:
- BAND LOGO Short Sleeve T-shirt - $10.00
- BAND LOGO Long Sleeve T-shirt - $12.00
- BAND LOGO Hooded Sweatshirt - $20.00
- BAND LOGO Short Sleeve Performance Tee - $15.00
- BAND LOGO Long Sleeve Performance Tee - $20.00
- COLOR GUARD LOGO Short Sleeve Tee - $10.00
- JAZZ LOGO Short Sleeve Tee - $10.00
- BAND LOGO Face Mask - $5.00
- BAND 2020-2021 LOGO Short Sleeve Shirt - $10.00
*** See color options available for all items above in images below. ***
All orders must be placed through SchoolPay.com. Orders due Monday, 11/16/2020.
COMING UP - Butter Braid Fundraiser
Here are the details you need to know:
- What - Butter Braid fundraiser. Butter Braid is a delicious pastry that comes in 8 flavors. They come to you frozen. You just take it out of the freezer and let it thaw overnight, pop it into the oven the next morning and then enjoy!
- When - The fundraiser starts November 9th and runs through the 19th. Money is due WITH the orders. We will also have an online store so you can send a link out to family that might live far away! Delivery of the Butter braids will be December 16th.
- Why - Students will receive $5.50 PER Butter Braid that they sell that goes directly into their band account.
Order forms will come home with students on Monday Nov 9th. Be on the lookout for it then!
If you have any questions, feel free to email me at:
PARENT VOLUNTEERS - WE NEED YOUR HELP!
A huge THANK YOU to all our Band parents who have volunteered to chaperone thus far! I encourage everyone to take a moment and become an approved chaperone so you can help us at future events!
Now that we know that we have upcoming needs for parent chaperones, it's time to either renew as an ADDitions volunteer or apply if you've never done so. It is easy to apply and get approved, and it is a requirement to sign up to volunteer at school. Be prepared to upload a photo and please be sure to read the Covid-19 Acknowledgment.
Follow this link at ocps.net:
- winterparkhsband.com > Click on the ADDitions icon in the center of the home page, just below the SchoolPay.com icon.
- *Click "Volunteer Now"
- Click on the "Additions Volunteers" round button
- Click "Volunteers" as the Opportunity Type
- Select the school of your choice. (Winter Park High)
- Select opportunity #1 called: "Become an ADDitions School Volunteer" (MUST BE THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY SELECTED) and then click "view details". Click "Sign up" Then either sign in if you already have an account or create a new Volunteer Profile account.
- Renewal Applicants can check their Dashboard for eligibility status. Everyone will need to answer or update your safety questions. Just follow the prompts. Then click "Previously Registered Volunteer Next Steps" if you want to search for volunteer opportunities outside of band. *Application is processed and subject to a background check
- If you're a new applicant, click "New Volunteer Next Steps" if you want to look for volunteer opportunities outside of band.
- If you only want to volunteer for band, there is no need to click the "Search for opportunities" link.
- If we become ready for volunteers, you can sign up for band opportunities on charmsoffice.com under "Parents/Students/Members", then enter the school code: WinterparkHSBand, enter your password, click "volunteer", then select an event and opportunity. At this time it is not necessary to sign up for anything. However, if you have a moment, it's helpful to walk through the steps of signing up so you are familiar with the process.
If you have any questions or concerns about volunteering or signing up with ADDitions, don't hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Robyn Fodor - Band Volunteer Coordinator
Unlike a full band rehearsal experience, studying with a private teacher focuses in on the student’s individual needs. Students who study privately once a week from a professional musician are usually those who excel and find Band more enjoyable. These students frequently earn positions in honor groups like All-State and All-County, and make entry into our more advanced bands like Wind Symphony and Jazz Ensemble I. Some even go on to earn college scholarships, even if they are not majoring in music!
By following the link below, you will find a list of local private teachers. This list is not exhaustive, and there may be other individuals who are not on the list. If you know a private teacher who should be added (or would like to be deleted), please contact Mr. Clemente at email@example.com.
NEW PARENT LIAISON
If you are having a technology issue and have not yet reached out to the school about resolution, please email Mr. Steffey at Donald.Steffey@ocps.net to set up an appointment at school for your computer to be looked at. Email should be sent as soon as you read this!
As a reminder, students are considered present in their LaunchED class if they:
- Joined the call before the tardy bell.
- Have their camera on the entire class period.
- Are able to be seen, face and instrument, in the camera view.
- Participate in class from bell to bell.
Students who do not have their camera on for the duration of class, and we have not received an email from the school stating awareness of the issue and work towards it being resolved, will be marked absent.
Thank you for your work to resolve these technology issues!
Thursday, November 6: Full Outdoor Band Rehearsal, 3 - 5 PM
Friday, November 7: Orange Pep Band Performance at Home Football Game, 6:15 - 10 PM
Tuesday, November 11: Orchestra Winds and Percussion Rehearsal with Strings, 2:45 - 4 PM
Friday, November 13: Volunteer Pep Band at Home Playoff Football Game, 7 - 10 PM
Tuesday, November 17: Outdoor Band Recording Session, 3 - 5 PM
Monday, November 23 - Friday, November 27: Thanksgiving Break
FINANCES & CHARMS
Past Due Band Payments
- Band Registration Fair Share - $25.00 Due 5/5
- Fair Share Payment 1 - $25.00 Due 8/19
- Fair Share Payment 2 - $25.00 Due 9/30
- Jazz Fair Share Payment 1(if applies) - $15.00 Due 9/30
- School Instrument Semester 1 Maintenance(if applies) - $60.00 Due 9/30
Viewing your Student's Financial Account in Charms:
There is a direct link to Charms in "Quick Links" on the band website.
- Our school code is winterparkhsband
- The Student Area Password would be a unique password that either the student or parent have set up. (If you don't know the password it can be reset by one of the band directors).
- Once you have logged into the Student Area, click on the round, red $ symbol on the top menu bar to view your student's account
- If your student has earned Band Account Credit (in the Miscellaneous Ledger) this credit can be transferred to pay for many band fees: Fair Share, School Instrument Maintenance, Registration Fees for All-State, All-County and Solo Ensemble.
Requesting a Credit Transfer to pay for Fixed Payments Due:
- Click on the "Transfer Request" tab just below the round, red $ symbol. Select the fixed payment you would like to pay for using the credit. The request is sent to the band directors and the band booster treasurer.
- SENIORS: Please check your credit balance and use it accordingly during the year. Credit for Seniors left at the end of the year can only be transferred to siblings.
2020-2021 FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS SCHEDULE