2A Classroom Update 6
Home of the Golden Lions
December 4, 2015
Felix helps lead Morning Meeting calling on students and making sure they answer in complete sentences.
Avery explains her strategy for solving a number story.
The 2A Golden Lions killed it in their performance for Brooklyn Prospect's high school students.
Is it already December? We hope you all enjoyed the holiday break whether you traveled or rested and relaxed at home. We were happy to welcome students back.
Over the past few Wednesdays, we began experimenting with POD learning. Small groups, each with its own rotation based on the group members' needs, traveled around the classroom engaging in activities in writing, math and reading. The Golden Lions enjoyed the sessions and provided great feedback to make the time even more fun and valuable.
In math, we finished up our unit on measuring lengths. We began a new unit where students will focus on place value to 1,000 and representing numbers in different ways.
In writing, we continued working on our narrative pieces. We focused on revising our pieces. We looked at adding details that paint vivid pictures, "show, not tell", and help our reader connect to our characters. We also worked on including strong leads and endings and transition words that make our writing flow. We are currently beginning the editing process and preparing for publishing our pieces.
In inquiry we began our video project for the Rights, Rules, and Responsibilities unit. We watched PSA campaign videos to brainstorm how to compel an audience to listen to your message. Then we picked groups to work in based on our interests in the following questions (we generated the questions earlier in the unit): Do Rights, Rules, and responsibilities go with the learner profiles? Why are Rights, Rules, Responsibilities important? Why do societies have Rights, Rules, Responsibilities? How do leaders relate to Rights, Rules, Responsibilities? We began researching online to help us find answers to our questions. We will spend the remainder of the unit writing, rehearsing, and filming our video campaigns.
Have a great weekend,
Courtney and Zondwayo
Inquiry Unit- Rights, Rules, and Responsibilities
Golden Lions of the Week
Claudia was our Golden Lion of the Week for the week of November 9th. Her classmates selected her for trying new things and believing in herself.
Avery was our Golden Lion of the Week for the week of November 16th. Her classmates selected her for showing courage in joining a new classroom and being willing to trying things even if she didn't know.
Noah was our Golden Lion of the Week this week. His classmates selected him for considering other's feedback, trying to use others ideas, and looking at the speaker.
- Families are invited to our Fall Curriculum Share on Friday, December 11th. Students will share their video projects from our first Inquiry unit on "Rights, Rules, and Responsibilities."
- Friday, December 11th is also our last swim day. Please make sure students come prepared to swim for our final session.
- Parent Teacher Conferences will take place Wednesday, December 16th - Friday, December 18th. There will be no school on that Friday, December 18th. This is a great opportunity to sit down individually with us to discuss your child's progress, what he or she is working on in class, and how your child could be supported with this work at home. To reserve a time slot with us, enter the following link into your web browser: www.ptcfast.com/reg1. You will then be asked for an entry code, where you should enter: 69B1126097. Please reserve a slot no later than the day before the requested appointment date.
- Families will be invited to our Narrative Writing Celebration where students will read their writing pieces that they have been working so hard on. It is tentatively scheduled for the Week of December 21st. More information to come!
- The December birthday celebration is tentatively set for Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 12:30 pm. Families with students with December birthdays interested in coming can email our 2A class email.
Important Dates to Remember
12/11- Fall Curriculum Share
12/11- Final Swim Session
12/16-12/18- Parent Teacher Conferences
12/18- No School
12/21- Narrative Writing Celebration
12/23- December Birthday Celebration
The Specials Corner
¡2A is packing la maleta!
At this term of the year 2A is getting more and more confortable with the Spanish language. We have been growing so fast and are getting close to travel to México. During the past week we have been exploring clothes in Spanish. ¿Qué ropa llevas? Yo llevo un pantalón y una camisa. Our 2A is full of risk-takers, everyday we take a risk to read in Spanish and to understand new words. This week we are preparing our luggage (maleta) to travel. Our maletas are made with paper and our huge imagination. Our maletas are packed with appropriate weather clothes for México. Please continue to support our Spanish immersion process by exploring México homework.
A big thanks to all the students that worked hard on the GRACIAS installation. It was a total hit! You can take a look at your student picture in the lobby display.
Please enjoy the following pictures of the making of: La Maleta (luggage) and featuring tiny ropa (clothes). ¡Buen trabajo 2B!
A Science Update From Ms. Rosabal!
Groovin' With Ms. Siby
2nd grade dancers have been learning to follow rhythms in various genres of music, ranging from House to Afro-beat. Nowhere is their ability to follow the rhythm more evident than in their class choreography, which includes a Soul Train line. (Oh and we've done our research; how surprising to know some of our dancers own bell-bottoms!) 2nd grade dancers have also been perfecting their twisted, angular, straight, curved, symmetrical and asymmetrical dance shapes. As a result, they are able to replicate some pretty challenging moves performed by professional dancers such as Michael Jackson, Misty Copeland and Keone Madrid. Their growing ability to balance and sustain very tricky body shapes is amazing to see. Take a look!