Welcome to GaVS!
Information for a Smooth Beginning of the Semester
Welcome to Georgia Virtual School!
Taking a course online has many benefits. One benefit includes having multiple different opportunities to learn a concept. As students read through the content they can view videos, read scientific articles, do crossword puzzle reviews, and more. In addition, students have the opportunity to attend a live synchronous chat session held twice weekly. In these sessions, we review practice multiple choice problems, perform math calculations, listen to songs with concept specific information, and review essential concepts. If the student cannot attend, they can always listen to the recording. Online courses are rigorous, requiring student motivation and organization. It is imperative that the student print out their schedule and check off their assignments as they complete them. As the parent, you can support your student by asking them how they are doing with their assignment completion from week to week. Accountability is important for some students. In addition, students need to know to communicate with me as often as they need. If I don't hear from a student, I won't know how to help. I want each student to be successful and have a great experience in this course. I look forward to helping your student have a successful semester learning concepts of chemistry and physics.
Information Found in This Issue...
First Task: Complete the Student Orientation Course
When completing the Student Orientation Course, it is important to complete topics in order and complete all items on the checklist.
The following items are required for the completion of the Student Orientation Course (SOC):
- students complete all sign off
- students complete all agreement quizzes
- students make a 100% on the final Student Orientation Quiz.
- Students may choose to opt out of the Student Orientation Course; however, students who elect to opt out of the Student Orientation Course are still responsible for all content presented in the course.
Students must finish or opt out of the SOC before gaining access to the course. Students will not gain access to the course until the first start date or one workday after the semester has begun on June 3, 2013.
Second Task: Selecting a Start Date
Third Task: Jump into the Course & Get Working!
Important Information for Parents
The Parent Account gives you information about your child’s grades and progress in their course. If your child’s grade drops below a 75, you will receive an automated phone call. If your child’s grade drops below a 70, you will receive a phone call from me.
If you already have a parent account please do NOT create a new one.
1) Please check to see that your parent account is linked to your student’s account.
2) For more information click Help on the Log in page or click this link.
If you are uncertain about whether you have a parent account or not,
1) Log in to GAVS at www.gavirtualschool.org and at the Log In page type in your username and password.
2) For more information click Help at the top of the Log In page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
*Information for parents who have NEVER created a parent account.
1) Login to our website www.gavirtualschool.org
2) Click the “Log In To GAVS” icon
3) Click “Create An Account” from the navigation bar.
4) You will need to know your child’s GTID and date of birth.
5) Please follow the directions on the screen.
6) Be sure you have linked your parent account to your student’s account.
7) For more information simply click HELP at the top of the Log In page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
D2L Help Sessions for Students and Parents
Tuesday, June 4th, 11am
This is an online event.
Tuesday, June 4 at 11AM
Thursday, June 6 at 7PM
Tuesday, June 11 at 11AM
Thursday, June 13 at 7PM
You will join by entering the meeting as a Guest. Your username is your first and last name. Here is the link to join each D2L Session:
The space for each session is limited. We ask everyone to join the session using only ONE computer at your home. If the session is full, the recording will be posted within the learning management system and you will have an opportunity to review the recording OR attend another upcoming meeting. The schoolwide D2L meetings are separate from individual Welcome sessions held by me. Please plan to attend the meeting with me as well. Details about the Physical Science Course Sessions are below.