A newsletter for Alta Vista Staff~Week of October 28, 2019
Don't Forget! Next Week's Calendar
- Red Ribbon Week ALL WEEK of October 28
- Fact Fluency Assessments (Gr 1-2) ALL WEEK of October 28
- 1/2 Day Math Planning with Mr. A (Select Teachers) on Monday, October 28 at 12-4 pm in PLC Room
- Wear neon/bright colors/sunglasses on Monday, October 28
- Region 12 ELAR Coaching on Tuesday, October 29
- Wear crazy hats & socks on Tuesday, October 29
- 50th Day of School on Wednesday, October 30 **Wear 50's Outfit**
- Wear pajama slippers/house shoes on Thursday, October 31
- Adopt-A-Cop Presentation (5th Grade) on Wednesday, October 30 at 9:00 am in Cafeteria
- Faculty Meeting (Ms. York with Region 12) on Wednesday, October 30
- Staff Pumpkin (Logan O'Lantern) Hunt throughout school day on Thursday, October 31
- Reading PLC on Thursday, October 31 (All subjects for grades 3-5)
- GT Nominations due Thursday, October 31
- Wear tribe shirt or tribe colors on Friday, November 1
- Email Mrs. Helton your "Kindness Counts" for the month of October for Tribe Points (11/1) on Friday, November 1
- Family Game Night on Tuesday, November 5 from 5:30-7:30 pm
- Faculty Meeting ?? on Wednesday, November 6 at 3:30 pm
- PLC on Thursday, November 7 (Region 12 with Judy York)
- School Picture Re-takes on Friday, November 8
- Report Card grades due Friday, November 8
- First Video Lesson due on Friday, November 8 (watch your video and take notes BEFORE Wednesday, November 13)
Coming Up Soon: Thanksgiving Lunch on November 22
Waco Independent School District Energy Management will be asking all Campuses to participate in a “District-wide electrical usage competition.” The competition will compare last year’s usage to this school year, and compare the percentage of decreased electrical usage. This competition started August 2019 and will end July 31, 2020. $5000.00 will be divided between 3 campuses with 1st place: $3000.00, 2nd place: $1500.00, & 3rd place: $500.00. Energy Management will be monitoring and recording all data for this competition.
Don't forget to turn in your Accommodations form to Ms. Salazar every Monday. Attaching work samples is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Mrs. Helton's To-Do List
- Review PLC Notes Template for any outstanding to-do items before next PLC; plan and collect student work samples (10/31)
- Send home permission slips and paperwork for GT nominations; turn in to Mrs. Helton (10/31)
- Do October Fact Fluency Assessments (Gr 1-2); start planning November fact fluency lessons (all grades!) (10/31)
- Turn in your Home-School Compacts and Parent Involvement policies to Mrs. Maynard
- Email Mrs. Helton your "Kindness Counts" for the month of October for Tribe Points (10/31)
- Schedule time to record lesson-email Mrs. Orchard (11/8)
- Sign up to sponsor a UIL event-email Ms. Boggess!
Red Ribbon Week Plans
- All Week: Door Decorating Contest. Tribe points awarded for school favorites!
- Monday: Have students work in teams to create a poster for Red Ribbon Week with positive choices. OR Have students work in teams to create a slogans for Red Ribbon Week. Email to Mrs. Maynard for Tribe Points.
- Tuesday: Circle Time-I choose to be drug free because ____.
- Wednesday: Have students brainstorm a list of “drugs” and then discuss why it’s important to stay away from them.
- Thursday: Circle Time-Someone that can help in a difficult situation is _________.
- Friday: Walk Out on Drugs Walkathon-Have your class join the rest of the school on the track for 2 laps around the track to support “Walk Out On Drugs.” Meet at the track by 8:20.
Red Ribbon Week Daily Dress Up Themes
- Monday: Bright Enough to Be Drug Free (wear bright colors or sunglasses)
- Tuesday: Top to Toe - Drug Free We Go! (wear crazy hats and socks)
- Wednesday: 50 Ways to Be Drug Free (50's dress)
- Thursday: Comfortable Enough to Be Drug Free (wear pajamas slippers) Students requested!
- Friday: Tribe With Me and Be Drug Free (wear tribe shirts or tribe colors) Students requested!
Tribe points will be awarded for participation.
Conscious Discipline & CHAMPS
Do you need help getting pictures taken for your CHAMPS posters? Email Ms. Malcom and the behavior team can come help! Need help putting a Tier 1 Behavior Intervention in Branching Minds? There's a guide for that here! The leadership team is looking forward to visiting your classes during morning meetings and seeing the great things happening!
The Foundations/CHAMPS Implementation Team participated in ongoing training this past week. We discussed ongoing concerns with cafeteria behavior and the transition back to the classroom; we are looking at different ways to increase positive interactions in the cafeteria and clarify expectations for students & staff. Your suggestions and input are welcomed! Please email Mrs. Helton.
UIL Sponsors Needed
- Art Smart (Gr 4-5)
- Chess (Gr 2)
- Music Memory (Gr 2-5)
- Creative Writing (Gr 2)
- Ready Writing (Gr 3-5)
- Dictionary Skills (Gr 5)
- Listening (Gr 5)
- Number Sense (Gr 4-5)
- Spelling (Gr 3-5)
- Story Telling (Gr 2-3)
- Oral Reading (Gr 4-5)
The contest will be in late January most likely.
Make sure you check the PLC Notes Template to review "To-Do" items prior to PLCs each week. Bring your laptop, planning calendar and materials, assessment data, and student work samples each week.
Upcoming PLC Schedule:
10/31: Reading (Gr 3-5 Both Subjects)-meet in classrooms
11/7: PLCs with Judy York (bring lesson plans for next week)
Due October 31 (Grades 1-5)
Resources for nominations: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/108WZ9JV6AxoCl_DlFTIRRx4_ESvXGPAL?usp=sharing
1. Have parent give permission to test for GT using the "Nomination Form." https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oAbtziak_xOpyRzsfgM2vRHKh3m8ECejg6JTU-2kxw4/edit?usp=sharing
2. Send home the link to the digital Parent Questionnaire or provide parent with a paper copy. You will have to input the parent questionnaire answers into the digital Parent Questionnaire. bit.ly/gtnomparent
3. Complete the digital Teacher Questionnaire. http://bit.ly/gtnomteacher
4. Have your student use a computer to complete the digital Student Questionnaire. bit.ly/gtnomstudent
Waco ISD Giving Campaign
The 2019-2020 Giving Campaign is a 4-week period that allows all Waco ISD employees the opportunity to financially support the Waco ISD Education Foundation and/or United Way of Waco-McLennan County via cash, check, credit or payroll contributions. By combining into ONE drive in ONE timeframe, we hope to minimize confusion and prevent donor fatigue that can occur with back-to-back drives.
The Giving Campaign will run from October 7th-31st. Forms will also be placed in your boxes, and please visit wacoisd.org/giving for ALL information about how to give based on your preferences (cash, check, credit or payroll).
A few things to note:
Staff of the Week
Congratulations to Ms. Arthur for being our STAFF OF THE WEEK. We are so proud of her for passing her special education certification testing.
Math & Science Vertical Planning Days
- Math Planning Dates (Grades K-5): October 28, December 10, February 18
- Science Planning Date (Grades K-5): November 12, January 10, February 19
Please work with Ms. Bonnie to secure subs for these days (grades 3-5 only). Grades K-2 will use the aides assigned to their grade level.
Upcoming Reading Coaching
- October 29: On-site in-class coaching all day; email Mrs. Logan if you want support
- October 31: Reading PLC
- November 6: On-site in-class coaching in morning; planning with select teachers in afternoon (A. Martinez, Greer, Sharp)
- November 13: 1/2 Day reading planning for Long, Villela, V. Martinez, Foreman, 5 Martinez; 1/2 day writing planning for Foreman/V. Martinez
- November 19: On-site in-class coaching in morning ; planning with select teacher in afternoon (Long, Villela, V. Martinez, Foreman, 5 Martinez)
- December 5: Reading PLC
Box Cards & One Eyed Jacks Training for Math Coming November 14
Grades 3-5 Training: 8 am - 11 am
Grades K-2 Training: 12 pm - 3 pm
You will need to create a 1/2 Day School Business Absence in TEAMS (7:45-11:45 or 11:45-3:45). Please work with Ms. Bonnie to secure subs. The subs in the morning will be able to cover the afternoon classes for the lower grades (if you don't have an aid in your room).
GT Update Opportunities
Foundation 30 Hours of GT Training OR Initial Administrator/ Counselor training (Deadline December 13, 2019)
Day 1: Nature and Needs of Gifted Learners, Responsive Learning
Registration Code: c11277WISD11371
Day 2: Screening, Assessment and Identification, Responsive Learning
use the link and code provided above
Day 3: Differentiating in a G/T Classroom, Google Classroom (oqa726)
Day 4: Critical and Creative Thinking, Google Classroom (mslr7j)
Day 5: Depth and Complexity, Google Classroom (eg3pzl)
Annual Update Options- All annual updates are due no later than May 1, 2020
Book Study (September 1-December 20, 2019) 6-Hours Credit Each
Living with Intensity, Susan Daniels (Eduphoria course link)
Mindfulness in the Classroom, Season Mussey (Google Classroom 2mp2z0i)
Frames (ebook)- J. Taylor Publishing. (Must be purchased and downloaded from JTayloreducation.com. Item # JTE-5D) (Google Classroom q359noe)
90 Minute Google Classroom Updates- Complete 4 to fulfill your 6-hour Update
Depth and Complexity: Creating Tiered Instruction (Google Classroom wtda9jh)
Differentiation in the Classroom: The Basics (Google Classroom ifxecn)
Depth and Complexity: Creating a Choice Board (Google Classroom F5gm8ec)
Depth and Complexity: Creating a Frame (Google Classroom 67xr2h)
*Additional courses will be added throughout the year.
PK, K, & 1 District Professional Development & Coaching Requirements
PK Teachers - 30 hours of Early Childhood Professional Development is required for all PK3 and PK4 teachers in the 2019-2020 school year (15 hours of CLI PD courses and 15 hours of coaching)
**See Mrs. Helton to find out exactly how many hours you have acquired so far for the year.