Google Drive: Managing Your Files
Unit: Google Apps - Lesson 4
Aim: Students will learn how to properly name and organize files in Google Docs for assignment submission.
Do Now: Sit down quietly and log into your computer. (4 mins)
Filename: A name given to a computer file to distinguish it from other files, often containing an extension that classifies it by type.
Google Drive and Docs - Managing Your Files:
After you've been using Google Drive for a while, you might find yourself having a hard time keeping track of all your files. Fortunately, Google Drive offers a number of features to help you manage and organize your files.
In this lesson, you will learn how to find files easily using the search, filter, and sort tools. You'll also learn about folders, which let you organize your files into groups. Finally, you'll learn about the file action buttons, which allow you to organize, preview, or delete your files quickly.
Proper Filenames For Assignments
Class - Name - Assignment Title
Watch the video below to learn how to organize your files:
How do I organize files in Google Drive?
Follow these steps to access Google Drive:
To Create a Folder:
- In Google Drive, click the Create button and then select Folder from the drop-down menu.
- A dialog box will appear. Type a name for your folder and then click OK.
- Your folder will appear on the left below My Drive.
- In Google Drive locate the file you wish to add to a folder.
- Click and drag the file to the folder.
- The confirmation box will appear at the top of the page, confirming that the file has been moved.
- The file is now stored in the folder.
To Set a Folder Color:
- Hover your mouse over the folder and then click on the arrow that appears.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Hover your mouse over Change color and then select a color for the folder.
- The selected folder color will appear in the left-navigation pane.
- Any files stored in the folder will display the folder's color in the view pane.
Next Steps / Homework
Create colored folders for each subject area and create a folder for your personal information.
- Social Studies
- Drama or Art