HLES Parent Newsletter
- We had a great turn-out for our Model Mustangs and our Charlotte's Web Celebration Night! Thank you to everyone who attended as we recognized and honored our students! Some pictures from the events are below!
- February is Black History month! We are celebrating achievements by black Americans and recognizing the central role of African Americans in U.S. History.
Our Mustang Way trait for the month is "Synergize". We will be recognizing students on February 21st for our Model Mustangs.
As we continue with our focus on literacy, please be sure to read with your student daily and also encourage them to read independently. Please also review the document below- "Literacy Information for Parents".
- The 100th Day of school is Thursday, February 7th. On the 100th day of school, we will be celebrating all that we have accomplished and learned so far this year.
- Each month, we will include a Parent Newsletter about Literacy with tips and information about literacy and the importance of developing your child as a reader. Below is this month's newsletter: " 7 Tips for Raising a Reader".
- Please be sure you are labeling your student's belongings (jacket, backpack, lunch bag, etc.) with your student's name. We have quite a few items in our lost and found with no names on them. If your child is missing any of these items, please stop by our lost and found located in the cafeteria.
- Our school day begins at 7:45 am and ends at 3:15 pm. School doors open at 7:15 am for breakfast, and we begin instruction in classrooms promptly at 7:45 am. Please plan to have your children arrive at school as close to 7:15 am as possible so that they have ample time to eat without missing instructional time.
- We ask that parents who drop off their children in the morning do not drop them off earlier than 7:15 am, because we do not have staff available for supervision until that time. You are more than welcome to come earlier that 7:15 am, but if you do, please wait at the picnic tables with your student until our staff is available to supervise.
- Every Friday morning, we have Round-Up (our morning meeting). Round-Up will begin at 7:30 am and end at 7:50 am. If your student is a car rider, please plan to bring them to school at 7:15 am on Fridays so that they won’t miss out on any of the fun.
- Please continue to check Thursday folders for important information coming home. As we continue our focus on literacy, please be sure to read with your student daily and encourage them to read independently as well.
- It is never too late to volunteer! If you would like to be a volunteer at Highland Lakes, please call the office and we will get you plugged in.
- Should your student’s transportation/pick-up need to change, please be sure to communicate that to their teacher in the planner. If the transportation/pick-up needs to be changed during the school day, please be sure to call the office before 2:30. If your student needs to take a different bus, it must be approved by the transportation department. The number to transportation is 830-798-2300.
February is Black History Month
February 2 - District UIL Meet
February 12-13 - Practice STAAR for 4th & 5th Grade
February 14 - Valentine's Day Class Parties
February 18 - Student & Staff Holiday
February 21 - Model Mustangs & 1st Grade Performance
March 1-8 - Spring Book Fair
March 11-13 - Practice STAAR for 3rd, 4th, & 5th Grade
March 14 - Combined Elementary Choir Concert at Marble Falls Elementary
March 18-22 - Spring Break