Lake Myra Elementary School
Listed below is the Wake County Public School (WCPSS)website that will give further county wide information on the SPED program from the county. This is a great beginning resource to take a look at if you have not. This site contains information about the overview of the vision of SPED programs in WCPSS. In addition it goes into detail about resources and Transportation available to SPED families.
Bridging the Gap of School and Home in SPED
1. Parent Involvement boosts student achievement.
2. Parenent involvement is actually better predictor of academic success than standarized tests.
3. Parent Involvement defines as "any variety of activites that allow parents to participate in the deucational process at home or in the school."
4. Teachers and Schools can overcome barriers to parent imvolvement by reaching out and builidng trusting relationships.
WebsiteFor the first Newsletter we decided that a link to WCPSS SPED website would be a great first step in obtaining information you may need. Please take a few minute to take a look at what WCPSS has to offer and that may be of help to you.
Parent Resource Room at the Lake!
If you have not had a chance, please come by and check out the Parent Resource Room at your childs school. This would be a great first step in obtaining information to help your child. We highly encourage Parent Involvement, so come check it out and see what YOU may learn!
CCR K - 5th
CCR classes are designed to serve students with disabilities on the Common Core as defined in their IEP. A full continuum of services (regular, resource or separate) is offered at every school. The educational focus is on acquisition of reading, writing and math skills and provides behavioral support for the student to be successful in the general and special education classes.
Autism Pre K - 5th
Speech language impairment is -
- A communication disorder, such as an impairment in fluency, articulation, language, or voice/resonance that adversely affects a child’s educational performance.
- Language may include function of language (pragmatic), the content of the language (semantic), and the form of the language (phonological, morphologic and syntactic systems).
- A speech or language impairment may result in a primary disability or it may be secondary to other disabilities.
Occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants are part of the education team within a school district. The profession of occupational therapy is concerned with a person’s ability to participate in desired daily life activities or “occupations.” In the schools, occupational therapy practitioners use their unique expertise to help children to prepare for and perform important learning and school-related activities and to fulfill their role as students. In this setting, occupational therapist support academic and non-academic outcomes, including social skills, math, reading and writing (i.e., literacy), behavior management, recess, participation in sports, self-help skills, prevocational/vocational participation, and more, for children and students with disabilities.
Upcoming ******SPED Website******
SPED is getting a WEBSITE!!!!
Lake Myra Elementary - Special Education
Wenell, NC 27591
(919) 365 - 8990
SPED Teacher and E-Mail address
Jeanie Lagas - CCR K-5 firstname.lastname@example.org
Debi Parker - Pre-K Autism email@example.com
Derek Pattison - K-2 Autism firstname.lastname@example.org
Jan Mitchell - 3 - 5 Autism email@example.com
Carol Gates - Speech firstname.lastname@example.org
Jamie Throndest - Occupational Therapist email@example.com