As the library is a large, open space we ask that all teachers and students are aware of others using the library and respect everyone's right to work in a quiet and organised environment. Please ensure that your classes enter and leave the library quietly and that the three library areas are left neat and tidy.
If you need any help from the library staff during your booked time, at least one of us should be available at the main circulation desk.
This area of the library has been created to allow for classes that might need to do some discussion or small group work, whilst using the library's resources/ technology. There are sufficient desks and chairs for one class and the laptop trolley is located in this area.
This area of the library has been created to allow for classes that are doing doing quiet, independent research or study, whilst using the library's resources/ technology. There are sufficient desks and chairs for one class and the Macbook trolley is located in this area.
This area of the library has been created to allow for classes that wish to use the fiction section of the library for silent reading. There is sufficient seating in this area for one class, but desk space is limited, so this area is not suited to research/ study.
Library During Break Times (please help us get the following message across to students)
- At all times, the library is a space for learning, not socialising.
- Students need to have an acceptable purpose for using the library during the breaks. These include reading, homework, study, research, subject related use of laptops, borrowing/returning, and subject related small group collaboration/discussion.
- At lunch, students will be asked to start packing up 10 minutes before the bell goes to ensure they are organised and on time for their next class.
- No food is allowed in the library. Students with food will immediately be asked to leave. Water bottles are allowed.
- With only 2-3 library staff supervising during the breaks, it can be a difficult space to manage when crowded. This means that there are times (eg. wet weather) when we may need to restrict access and direct students to other spaces in the school (eg. Hall and MPR).
As we do not wish to disrupt subject areas, the exception to this will be when students are required to borrow a resource for their class (eg. novel sets for English).
This will be communicated to students and parents so they are aware of the policy.
If you have specific requests for resources that you would like us to include in the library collection, please contact us.
Also, we welcome any suggestions or feedback you might have on how we can improve the library.