CCISD Special Services
A Note from the Executive Director:
On behalf of the Special Services staff, I am happy to welcome you to the 2022-2023 school year! We are looking forward to a rewarding partnership with you to ensure our students can achieve their greatest potential. We recognize that in order to be productive in school, our children need support from both family and school staff. We know a strong partnership with you will make a great difference in your child’s education. As partners, we share the responsibility for our children’s success and want you to know that we will do our absolute best to carry out our educational obligations. We look forward to collaborating with you and our special education teachers and staff. Our motto this year is “Big Journeys Begin with Small Steps” and we would like to challenge you to join us by taking a small step with us in our journey to form great partnerships. Hope you have a fantastic school year!
As always, if we can be of service to you, please reach out via the link in the newsletter, by emailing email@example.com, or contacting us through our Parent Resource Center Specialist (Penny Sweeney) at 281-284-0751.
***The information provided in this newsletter is gathered from a variety of sources and is not sponsored by, nor affiliated with CCISD. The information is provided for your information and review.
If translation is needed for the Newsletter:
On the right-hand column under Accessibility, click on Translate and choose desired language.
Si se necesita traducción para el Boletín:
En la columna de la derecha, abajo en donde dice Accessibility, haga clic en Traducir y elija el idioma deseado
Dr. Michele Staley
CCISD Executive Director of Special Services
CCISD Special Services Parent Resource Center Specialist
Parent Resource Center Meet and Greet
Thursday, Sep. 29th, 9-10am
2903 Falcon Pass
Stop by and meet Ms. Penny Sweeney, the Parent Resource Specialist and sign up for our 2022-2023 Coffee Chats with topics centered around parent survey responses. See what The Parent Resource Center has to offer.
When: September 29, 2022
CCISD Learner Support Center- Room 1038
2903 Falcon Pass
Houston, Texas 77062
Email Ms. Penny Sweeney @ firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 281-284-0751 if you have any questions.
Can't wait to see you!
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Calendar of Events Parent Resource Center
Clear Creek ISD Challengers Special Olympics Team is Back in Action!
Attached below is the informational letter, current athlete information form, and physical form. If you are interested in your child joining the Challengers, please complete these items and submit them to Coach Burges as soon as possible.
Back to School Tips for Parents
As the school year is underway and fall extracurricular activities are ramping up, here are some back to school tips:
- Don’t forget to keep up with regularly scheduled well visits with your child’s medical professionals. Discuss any potential concerns about your child’s physical health and if you have any concerns regarding your child’s emotional or psychological well-being, make sure those concerns are addressed as well. Identify any potential issues as soon as possible. Learning requires healthy and happy students!
- Minimize the use of electronics including television, tablets, cell phones, and other devices as much as possible. Children are much better prepared to learn when their brains have engaged in less passive activities. In addition, less screen time leads to better sleeping habits.
- Make sure there is a clearly designated space to do homework if needed. For many children, a space in a family room or kitchen is helpful in order for parents to supervise, monitor, and encourage the completion of homework.
- Get to know your child’s teacher and other relevant school staff. Attend any back-to-school nights if possible and let teachers know what you prefer in terms of communication (e.g., email, phone calls). Maintain open lines of communication throughout the school year.
- When it comes to extracurricular activities, go for quality, not quantity. Make sure your child truly benefits from the activity. After school activities should be fun and reinforce positive social development. Arrange activities on days that are not as heavy with homework or studying if possible. If your child does not enjoy or cannot participate in traditional after school activities, consider other options to build interests and socials skills. For example, check out your local library’s events.
National Association of School Psychologists (2017). Back-to-school transitions: Tips for parents. (Handout). Bethesda, MD: Author.
SEPTA is looking for committee chairs and council delegates. We are unique in serving all our school CCISD campuses and three schools in Santa Fe ISD. Membership is open to everyone. We love having students serve. Registration forms can be mailed to the SEPTA PO BOX with payment. Join the CCISD SEPTA Facebook Page to stay connected.
Mark your calendars for these important dates!!!!
Wednesday, Sept 14th: 6:30PM -8PM Zoom
Thursday, Oct. 6th: 6PM Zoom (membership review), RA meeting to follow at 6:30PM
Wednesday Nov 30th: 6:30PM -8PM Zoom
Thursday, January 12th: 6PM, Zoom. RA meeting to follow at 6:30PM
Wednesday , February 1st: 6:30PM Zoom
Thursday , April 5th: 6:30PM Zoom
Thursday, Oct. 6th: 6:30- 8PM Zoom
Wednesday, November 2nd: 6:30-8PM
Thursday, Jan. 12th: 6:30-8PM Zoom
Wednesday, March 2nd: 6:30-8PM Zoom
Wednesday, May 3rd: Awards In-Person 6:30-8PM In- Person TBA.
Wednesday, Sept. 7th: 9:30AM "Back the Future Rally" Field House
Wednesday, Nov. 2nd: 9:30AM ESC
Wednesday, January, 18th: 9:30AM ESC
Wednesday, March 8th: 9:30AM ESC
Wednesday, May 10th: 9:30AM ESC
CCCC of PTAs Dates to Remember:
COUNCIL RALLY DAY: Monday, February 27th TBA
Council Celebration Thursday, April 13th: 6:30PM Clear Lake HS
Early Childhood Special Education Evaluation Center
The Early Childhood Special Education Evaluation Center (SEEC) evaluates children between the ages of 2 years 10 months and 5 years, who are not in a district Pre-K program and are not yet kindergarten age, to determine if a child has a special education disability and if there is a need for special education services.
The evaluation staff at the SEEC includes: 2 Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs), 1 Educational Diagnostician, 1 Licensed Specialist in School Psychology (LSSP), and 1 teacher, dually certified in Special Education and General Education. The SEEC also calls upon the services of district Occupational Therapists (OTs), Physical Therapists (PTs) and other specialists as needed to meet the needs of each child evaluated.
SEEC has two new members of our team this school year who are excited to be working together to evaluate our youngest learners.
For parents/guardians who have concerns about their child’s development, SEEC conducts screenings for any child ages 2 years 10 months to 5 years (who are not yet kindergarten age), to determine the need and scope of a full and individual evaluation. Screenings are held every Wednesday by appointment.
For additional information, please call (281) 284-0330.
The Early Childhood Special Education Evaluation Center is located at:
Learner Support Center
2903 Falcon Pass Dr.
Houston, Texas 77062
Below is a fantastic article on guiding conversations with children. Our Words have power and they have a lasting effect on our children. .
Transition and Community Partnerships
CCISD's Transition Specialist, Kim Rodgers has compiled a Padlet of Transition information that is updated regularly. Each section is dedicated to a particular part of transition. With topics such as Medicaid, SSI, Agency connections and alternatives to guardianship, the Padlet is a "one stop shop" to get an introduction to many areas of transition. Whether you are a parent of a three year old, or twenty year old, this information is handy as you progress through your child's educational journey.
Mrs. Rodger's office is also our district connection for the Texas Workforce Commission and Vocational Services. Intake meetings occur at the campus level through 12th grade, and then continue on for the 18+ programs at the LSC.
To access the Padlet, click here: