What's Happening at Sparkman HS/S9
September 19-24, Volume 2016-17, Issue 11
Monday, September 19
- SHS: Grammy Day - Dress as your favorite musician or genre of music
- LAST DAY to purchase tickets to Tuesday's Powderpuff game - $3 during lunch
- Last day to turn in guest permission forms for a non-Sparkman student to attend the Homecoming Dance. Forms online (see below).
- Homecoming dance tickets ($10) will be sold online only
- S9: Hat Day - wear your favorite hat
- F/JV Football: Sparkman @ James Clemens F: 5 PM, JV following Freshmen game
- Arts Festival Meeting - Volunteers needed! 3:30 PM - Room 406
- Club Presidents/Varsity Athletic Captains meeting 11:45 AM Media Center. See Mrs. Pate (room 227) with any questions.
Tuesday, September 20
- SHS: Nobel Prize/ESPYs Day aka Mathlete vs. Athlete - Dress as favorite athlete or a Nobel prize winner - Powderpuff games during 2nd period
- S9: Pajama Day - wear your favorite pajamas (long pants only)
- S9: Drama Club 7 or 7:15 AM - S9 Cafeteria
- School Picture money due to Mrs. Coggins in Room 127
- Mississippi State Univ. Representative in Cafeteria during lunch
- V/JV Volleyball vs Bob Jones @ SHS - JV @ 4:30 PM/ V @ 5:30 PM
- Cross Country - Randolph Cross Country Classic @ Randolph
- Swim Team @ A&M vs. Westminster & Boaz 6:30 PM
- Madison County Night of Bands at New Hope HS. ALL Madison County bands will perform at the event. Admission $10. 6:30 PM
Wednesday, September 21
- SHS: Emmy Day - Dress as favorite actors from TV shows or movies - Family Feud in Gym during activity period
- S9: Superhero Day - Dress as favorite superhero
- S9 SGA Meeting 7:50 AM S9 Auditorium
- SHS FCA Meeting- 7:45 in Gym 2
- SHS & S9: Flu Vaccine Clinics (if form turned in by Sept. 16)
- Freshman Volleyball @ Hazel Green - 4 & 5 PM
- Mandatory Prom Committee Meeting 4 -5:30 PM - Room 404
Thursday, September 22
- SHS: Kids Choice Awards aka Throwback Thursday - Dress as favorite children's character or as a child (follow dress code) - Tailgate, Pep Rally & Bonfire starting around 5:30 PM
- S9: Crazy Sock Day - Wear your crazy socks!
- S9 FCA & First Priority Meeting 7:50 AM - S9 Auditorium
- S9 Tutoring: English 7:50-8:20 AM and 3:20-3:50 PM (S9 Room 162)
- UA Honors College - Dean Sharpe 11:30-2 PM - Media Center
- SHS Dance Team fundraiser - Chik-fil-A Spirit Day - A portion of each purchase all day will be donated! You must mention that you're with SHS DANCE TEAM.
Friday, September 23
- SHS: Spirit Day - Wear Homecoming or Red shirt - Pep Rally during activity period & introduction of Homecoming Court
- S9: School Spirit Day - Wear Homecoming, Red, or any Sparkman Senators shirt
- Sophomores & Juniors - LAST DAY to register for the PSAT
- S9 Jr. Civitan Meeting 7:50 AM - S9 Auditorium. Dues $35
- Homecoming: Varsity Football: Sparkman vs. Hazel Green - 7 PM
Saturday, September 24
- JROTC PT/Drill Competition at SHS 5 AM - 5 PM
- Cross Country: Arab Invitational, Arab AL
- Homecoming Dance 8 - 11 PM
Homecoming Week: September 19 -24
If you are bringing a date to HC dance who does not attend Sparkman, complete this form!
Form at this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4jRfOtRe5SaTkFwVnkxb0syNms/view?usp=sharing
Sparkman Volleyball Fundraisers
Impact Aid Forms
What is Impact Aid? It is essentially money the federal government pays in lieu of taxes to schools that educate the children of federal workers. The form asks parents to list their job and where they work. Simply working on federal property like on Redstone Arsenal (NASA, Army, etc.), a federal courthouse or for TVA, will qualify the district for this money no matter if it is a military, civil service, or private contractor job. One form per child is required.
Please complete and return the Impact Aid forms ASAP.
- September 26- Senior Class Meeting- Cap/Gown Info 9:30-10:30 AM - Gym 1
- September 26- SHS Key Club Meeting- 8 AM & 3:40 PM in Room 209
- September 26-Samford University Representative in cafeteria during lunch
- September 26- Univ. of Montevallo Representative in cafeteria during lunch
- September 26- F/JV Football: Sparkman @ Hazel Green F: 5 PM JV: following
- September 26- V/JV Volleyball @ Danvile - 4:30 PM
- September 27- V/JV Volleyball MC Tournament @ New Hope - TBA
- September 27- Swim Team @ A&M vs. Buckhorn & Columbia - 6:30 PM
- September 27- College Financial Info Night 6 - 7 PM - Gym 1
- September 29- SHS SGA Meetings 8-8:20 AM and 3:30-3:50 PM
- September 29- Indoor Track & Field Meeting 6-6:30 PM SHS Cafeteria
- September 29 V/JV Volleyball vs. James Clemens @ SHS - JV@4:30 PM/V@5:30 PM
- September 30- Varsity Football: Sparkman @ Huntsville - 7 PM
- October 3-7- Fall Break
- October 4- QB Club Meeting- 6:30 PM Field House
- October 7-Varsity Football: Sparkman vs. Hewitt-Trussville - Sparkman Learning Community Night
- October 8- Key Club Car Wash Fundraiser - O'Reillys on Hwy 53 in Harvest. Proceeds to the Downtown Rescue Mission
- October 10- Takedown Club Meeting- 6 PM S9 Auditorium
- October 11- NHS Meetings 8-8:30 AM and 3:30-4 PM
- October 11- JROTC Booster Meeting- 6:30 PM SHS Cafeteria
- October 13- SHS SGA meetings 8-8:20 AM and 3:30-3:50 PM
- October 13- MCSPO hosts Candidate Forum- District 5 BOE@ 6 PM SHS Cafeteria
- October 14- Report Cards
- October 15- Sparkman Arts Festival- 10AM- 2 PM at SHS
- October 17-18- PSAT demographics
- October 19- PSAT Test for 10th & 11th graders
- October 22- ACT
- November 1- QB Club Meeting- 6:30 PM Field House
- November 4- LAST DAY to Register for December 10 ACT without LATE FEES
- November 4-5- UCA Regional Cheer Competition at SHS
- November 7- Takedown Club Meeting
- November 11- Veterans Day- No School
- November 15- JROTC Booster Meeting
- November 21-25- Thanksgiving Break
- December 5- Takedown Club Meeting
- December 10- ACT
- December 13- JROTC Booster Meeting
- December 19- January 3- Winter Break
- January 4- Students return to school
- January 9- Takedown Club Meeting
- January 10- JRTOC Booster Meeting
- January 16- MLK Day- No School
PSAT for Juniors & Sophomores is October 19. Deadline to Register is Friday, September 23.
SEE Program Students: You need to submit a proof of employment via pay stub or current time sheet. If you are dual enrollment, submit your current grades.
If you are interested in joining a youth advocacy group called Today's Youth, Tomorrow's Leaders, stop by guidance and get an application. Deadline for applications is Monday, September 19.
Juniors and sophomores interested in participating in the Christopher Columbus essay contest should stop by guidance and get an application.
Sparkman Cross Country and Track
Interested in trying out for SOCCER?
Make sure you receive TRYOUT information!
Potential soccer players use this link to provide SHS Soccer Boosters with your contact info.
Student Government Association
Next SHS SGA meetings are Thursday, September 29.
FTA - Future Teachers of Alabama
Speech and Debate
FBLA - Future Business Leaders of America
SHS Environmental Club
Spark Industry Robotics
SIR Marketing Fundraiser
Gigi's Cupcakes 4 mini's for $6
Pre-sale orders taken Sept. 6 - 20
Cupcakes delivered Wednesday, September 28
2016-2017 SHS Year Book, THE SENATOR, is on sale now!
Congrats to The Senator yearbook staff for their All-American ranking with four distinctions from the National Scholastic Press Association.
Order your 2017 THE SENATOR now online at myschoolfees.com The cost is $80.
Sparkman JROTC Booster Club
Sparkman Key Club
Sparkman Senators Marching Band- 283 members strong!
Sparkman Arts Festival 2016
Students Volunteers Needed: Meetings every Monday 3:30 PM - Room 406
Support Sparkman Arts Festival! Crafters, artists, musicians, authors, etc..., contact Renee Quaife to secure your booth at this great event on Oct 15.
Sparkman Arts Festival Website:http://sparkmanartsfestiv.wixsite.com/sparkmanartsfestival
S9 FCA/First Priority
S9 Drama Club
S9 SGA meets every Wednesday morning at 7:50 in the auditorium.
Follow SGA on Twitter: @S9SGA1617
Follow SGA on Instagram: S9SGA
Upcoming Visits by College / Military Representatives
Where & When? SHS Cafeteria during Lunch
Sparkman HS Students of the Month, Teacher of the Month, Support Staff of the Month
Alaysia Hogan, Aubrey Sales, Michael Seat, Travian Alston
Bryce Ellis, Amanda Brannen, Brooklin Bradley, Brianna Foushee
Austyn Gaither, Haley Haddock, Jayce Herring, Andrew Barnes
Ronald Rice, Roderick Peebles, Sarah Gregory
Teacher of the Month: 1st SGT W. Jones
Support Staff of the Month: Nurse Roberts
Application for Free & Reduced Price Meals
Sign Up to Round Up
Round your utility bill up to the next highest dollar, and that amount will go directly to local schools. The maximum contribution per year is only $12! Funds go directly to The Schools Foundation, which supports public education in Huntsville, Madison County and the City of Madison.
Sign up at this link: https://www.hsvutil.org/huntsville-utilities-community-center/sign-up-to-round-up/
2016-17 Archived Newsletters
Volume 2016-17, Issue 11: September 19-24, 2016
Volume 2016-17, Issue 10: September 12-17, 2016
Volume 2016-17, Issue 9: September 5-10, 2016
Volume 2016-17, Issue 8: August 29- September 3, 2016
Volume 2016-17, Issue 7: August 22-27, 2016
Volume 2016-17, Issue 6: August 15-20, 2016
Volume 2016-17, Issue 5: August 8-13, 2016
Volume 2016-17, Issue 4: August 1-14, 2016Volume 2016-17, Issue 3: Back to School Newsletter
Volume 2016-17, Issue 2: Summer Reading 2016
Volume 2016-17, Issue 1: Summer Break 2016