Ms. DesBarres Grade One Newsletter
Important Upcoming Dates
- BUDDY BOOKS: Students are continuing to bring home their buddy books daily. Please remember that these leveled books are for your child to read to you. They must be returned daily- just like their library books.
- "Buddy Books" Bookmarks: These are still in motion! I have given the students a new copy of these earlier this week. Please remember the purpose of these is to act as a guide for your child to refer to as they read and come across an unknown word.
- Math: In math we are continuing to work through our addition and subtraction unit. The students have been participating in various math tasks (such as going on "imaginary" adventures where they must use their knowledge of addition and subtraction to solve the problems they come across) and centers this week which have helped them to continue to develop their addition and subtraction skills. Lastly, the students continue to practice their five math strategies this week which have helped guide them when working through math tasks. The strategies are: drawing a picture (to represent the numbers), using their fingers, using a ten frame, tally marks and counting on (example: starting at 20 count on by one 20....21....22...23...24)
- 12 Days of Christmas Kindness: Students have their own Santa's taped to the side of their desk. (Pictures on class dojo page) Each school day students are responsible for completing the 'kindness' task for that day. Our first kindness task was to smile at as many people as we could. Once they have completed that task that day they get to cut that piece of Santa's beard off. The goal is to cut off Santa's whole beard!
1) This week we were introduced to 2 new characters who will help us remember the letters and sounds that we need for reading and spelling. Have your child tell you one thing they remember about Max the Ox and Felix Fox (Xx) and Zackary and Zena the Zebra's (Zz). Then have them tell you what sounds those two characters likes the best, and what letter or letter combinations represent that sound. Max the Ox and Felix Fox (Xx, Ks) and Zackary and Zena the Zebra's (Zz, Ss)
2) This week we learned two new sight words. Ask your child if they remember what they were. (My, By)
3) Goal Setting: the students are continuing to work on setting goals that are achievable. Currently the students have writing goals that they are working on.