Knightly News: EXCEL
Week of January 24th:
Beginning of third quarter and second semester!
Thank you so much for your commitment last week as we learned remotely. I am so proud of the students and staff. They have been doing GREAT things virtually. The admin team has thoroughly enjoyed visiting classrooms and seeing our students engaged and taking ownership of the their learning. If your child was not able to join live instruction, please have them access the recordings for each day and submit the assignment for each of their classes. This will ensure they do not get behind and also count for attendance purposes. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns.
2 hour delay schedule for Monday
9:45 – Teachers arrive
10:00 – Duty time begins
10:00-10:20 – Students unload
10:20 – Tardy Bell rings/Announcements
10:30 – 11:40 Core 1
11:40 - 1:20 Core 2/lunch
1:20 – 2:30 Core 3
2:35 – 3:20 Encore 2
10:30 – 12:10 Core 2/lunch
12:10 – 12:55 Core 3
12:57 – 1:42 Encore
1:45 – 2:10 Core 3
2:10 - 3:20 Core 1
10:35 – 11:20 Encore 2
11:25 – 1:00 Core 2/lunch
1:00 – 2:10 Core 3
2:10 - 3:20 Core 1
10:35-11:20 8th grade Encore 2
11:30-12:50 Lunch and Planning
12:57-1:42 7th grade Encore 2
2:35-3:20 6th grade Encore 2
Athletics this week
Monday-1/24—BB vs PG @ SGMS---500PM—Boys Play First---No 5th QT
Wednesday-1/26—BB vs AJ@ AJ---445PM---Boys Play First---Yes 5th QT
Thursday-1/27---BB vs Welborn @ SGMS---445PM---Boys Play First---5th QT
EXCEL at Athletic Events:
- Students may not stay after school unless they are an athlete supervised by coaches, or pep squad supervised by it's advisors.
- Masks are required by everyone except the 10 players on the court. Masks should cover nose and mouth at all times. Failure to follow this current ruling for schools will require dismissal from the game.
- Be respectful and mindful of those around you so that all that are in attendance can enjoy the game. Please stay seated while in the stands so all fans can see.
- Concessions and restrooms will be on the café hall so there should not be anyone in any other area.
- Please clean up after yourself and throw away all trash before leaving your area.
- Students must have rides pick them up in front of the school no later than 15 minutes after the game is over. Announcements will be made at the end of 3rd quarter and midway of 4th reminding students of the current time and to call or check in with your rides.
- After the game all fans, students, families etc. must exit the gym and building and meet their friend/child/athlete or ride outside. Only players may go with coaches to change and pick up belongings.
- Any student that is not picked up within 15 minutes after the game will not be able to stay for the next home game.
Joshua Lockettemail@example.com: Grade 6 and Maholic Walsh teams- Tonya Grahamfirstname.lastname@example.org: Grade 8 and Nelson team-
Reflect and Renew : SEL focus
Focus on Social Emotional Learning: Read each of these quotes and reflect on what they mean and how you can apply in your daily life. Each week we will share other quotes to make a difference as we finish this school year STRONG!!
Counselors will be visiting with grade levels over the next month sharing about future decisions such as High school options for 8th grade and the YouScience assessment results.
Responsible decision Making quotes
1. “Unsuccessful people make decisions based on their current situation; successful people make decisions based on where they want to be.” Anonymous
2. “Don’t base your decisions on the advice of those who don’t have to deal with the results.” Anonymous
3. “Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions.” Anonymous
4. “You are only one decision from a totally different life.” Anonymous
5. “Always go with the choice that scares you the most, because that’s the one that is going to help you grow.” Caroline Myss
8th grade High School options
It’s that time of year again, our 8th graders will be applying for high school options and preparing to leave SGMS. The PowerPoint that will be shared with students in the coming week is attached below for your reference. Important information and dates are included. These can also be found on our SGMS website.
Assessments coming up this month and Report Card date
Please be sure your child is in attendance and on time. These assessments will help us with instructional decisons during Second semester.
January 26th: Report Cards-sent to your email address electronically
January 28th: Math 6 and 8 Interim #2 and Math 1 Interim #2-
2nd Quarter Awards Recognition—Join us Virtually!!
We will recognize students in early February for their success 2nd quarter and 1st semester. We will recognize academics, character and attendance.
Please make plans to join us online!
We look forward as we celebrate our many accomplishments!
8:30 am 8th grade Fallon team
9:15 am 8th grade Williams team
10:00 8th grade Welder team
February 3rd: UPDATED DATE and TEAM ORDER
8:30 am 7th grade Maholic team
9:15 am 7th grade Nelson team
12:15 7th grade Walsh team
8:30 am 6th grade Hauck team
9:15 am 6th grade Yakout team
1:45 pm 6th grade Groff team
8th grade Families: Yearbook dedications
Generally, teenagers don’t tend to like adult authority, so a leader of their age often becomes an example to follow.
Natural Helpers or Ambassadors
As we begin 2nd semester students will have the opportunity to share through an anonymous survey peers with whom they trust. These students will be chosen as Natural Helpers or Ambassadors at SGMS. This group serves as peer mediators and reporters of bullying, threats, etc., They help with school and community service projects, show new students around, serve as tour guides when the fifth graders visit in the spring, and work with our special needs students.
The NATURAL HELPERS program is designed to meet four basic goals:
- to help young people learn how to prevent some of the problems of adolescence
- to help them learn how to mediate/intervene effectively with peers
- to help them choose positive ways of taking care of themselves and others
- to help improve our school and community
Chosen students will receive a contract end of the week to bring home and share with parents and get permission to become a Natural Helper or Ambassador. All contracts are due back no later than January 31st.
Ms. Maholic is spearheading this iniative if you have any questions please reach out to her at email@example.com or at the school # 336-674-4266
Our administrative team is available to assist with any and all SGMS questions or concerns. You may reach us at 336-674-4266 or by email. We love your partnership please reach out if you have suggestions or shout outs for our amazing staff.
Tracy Roof, Principalfirstname.lastname@example.org (students with last names P-Z)
Lorie Rainey, Assistant Principalemail@example.com (students with last names G-O)
James Moore, Assistant Principalfirstname.lastname@example.org (students with last names A-F)