By Dalia Garcia
- Born October 26,1911 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Married Issac Hockenhull and later divorced him two years later.
- Mahalia started making recordings in the 1930's.
- In 1947, she was a success with the song "Move on up a Little Higher"
- Appeared on many shows in 1956
- She was also a friend of MLK and a civil rights activist.
- Mahalia gave her final concert in 1971 in Germany.
- Died of heart attack on January 27, 1972.
Why shes famous
- Mahalia was a famous gospel singer.
- She was also on TV shows and movies.
- Civil rights activist
- Known as the Queen of Gospel
- When she started to sing professionally, she added an "I" to her first name, changing Mahala to Mahalia.
- In 1997, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame chose her as an honoree.
- Martin Luther King Jr described her voice as something you hear "not once in century, but once in a millennium."
- Was considered the Queen Of Gospel
- Appeared in the Carnegie Hall, dubbed the first gospel singer to achieve that honor.