Bushy Bear Tales
Volume 3- September 28, 2018
From Mrs. Ketterer:
Interim Reports will be sent home on Tuesday, October 9th. Thank you for your support with volunteer requests and attendance at school events and PTA meetings!
- 1 Flu Clinic
- 3 School 3-Hour Early Dismissal: Professional Work Day
- 3 Team & Room Parent Meeting @ 9:30 a.m. in the Cafeteria
- 9 1st Q Interim Reports Go Home
- 9 Parent Math Event: HCPSS Mathematics Coordinator John San Giovanni 7:00-8:00 p.m. in the Media Center
- 12 PTA Fall Fest
- 16 PTA Meeting in the Media: 6:30 for New Families / 7:15 for General Meeting
- 18 Picture Day: Individual Photos by Strawbridge
- 18 2nd Grade Field Trip: CEU Archaeology to Ellicott City
- 19 No School for Students: Professional Work Day
- 23 Field Trip: 4th Grade to Annapolis
- 24 2nd Grade Parent Math Night @ 6:45-8:00 p.m.
- 25 2nd Grade Master Gardener Presentation @ 10:30 a.m.
- 26 Bushy Bear Dash- Throughout the Day during Related Arts
- 31 Halloween Parade and Classroom Celebrations
Bushy Park ES has 79% of our Family Files Updated! Our goal is 100%.
Thank you for taking your time to offer or update your family’s information!
We are 21% away for celebrating 100% of our families being connected!
If you haven’t done so already, please complete the Family File
for your child(ren) now.
Information on completing or updating your Family File is below:
- Log into HCPSS Connect and select the Family File tab and then click on Family File. You will be asked to update or provide the following information:
Parent/guardian contact information. Please provide the most current contact information.
Emergency contacts. Who do you want to pick up your child in case you cannot?
Arrival and dismissal procedures. How will your child arrive to school and be dismissed on a daily basis? Additionally, provide what procedure your child should follow in case of an unscheduled early closing of schools.
Media coverage. This includes students being photographed for ACE awards.
PTA directory. What information do you want included in our BPES PTA Directory?
Resources on how to access Family File may be found online. Parents who have forgotten their login credentials may click the “Forgot Password” link on the sign in page. If you need additional assistance, please fill out this Connect Help Form.
SAVE-THE-DATE- Parent Opportunitly: MATHEMATICS MINDSET on October 9th
Last year, we welcomed international author, Greg Tang, who offered his expertise to parents and to our students!
This year, we are very excited to have our own HCPSS Elementary Mathematics Coordinator, John SanGiovanni (pictured left), here at Bushy Park for an evening conversation with parents. John will be with us Tuesday, October 9thd from 7:00-8:00 p.m. in our Media Center.
The time together will feature John sharing the journey of mathematics and the current expectations and methodology. He will be focusing on:
- Expectations for Mathematics in 2018
- Balanced Mathematics Teaching and Learning
- Myths and Facts about Teaching and Learning Mathematics
- Practical Ways to Help our Students at Home.
Time for Questions and Answers will be provided! There will also be math prizes! A flyer requesting RSVP's will come home next week.
Spotlighting Classroom DOJO Students
- Mrs. Bohn's Class- Marvin Lawrence
- Mrs. O'Leary's Class- Brody Langley
- Mrs. Powell's Class- Anna Sterrett
- Mrs. Wilson's Class- Caitlin Abrecht
- 1st GRADE
- Mrs. Bruner's Class- Allison Smith
- Mrs. Hintz' Class- Charlie Clark
- Mrs. Lambros' Class- James Stockwell
- Mrs. Payne's Class- Teja Narapusetty
- 2ND GRADE
- Mrs. Follmer's Class- Vincent Paik
- Mrs. Hogan's Class- Kelly Moran
- Mrs. Keats' Class- Katelyn Hannan
- Mrs. Stumpfl's Class- Tate Skrtic
- 3RD GRADE
- Ms. Griffin's Class- Harrison Lee
- Ms. Hewitt's Class- Lamiah Ahmad
- Mrs. Hovis' Class- Somara Whitney
- Mrs. Pickett's Class- Elliott DeRosa
- 4TH GRADE
- Ms. Lyter's Class- Seamus Seaman
- Mrs. Perry's Class- Kaitlyn Carr
- Mrs. Richmond's Class- Lisa Richardson
- Mr. Wilson's Class- Emmet Connolly
- 5TH GRADE
- Mrs. Cole's Class- Raymond Liu
- Mrs. Little's Class- Ishaan Mohsini
- Mrs. Stanton's Class- Skyler Mitchner
- Mrs. Yakscoe-Markle's Class- Marisa Argumedo
Our original schedule Team/Room Parent meeting was to be next Thursday, Sept. 27th. Again due to the additional classrooms and roster changes, we are pushing that meeting back to Wednesday, Oct. 3rd at 9:30 a.m. in the Cafeteria. This will only be for the parents who get notified to be Team or Room Parents.
THIS WEEK'S FOCUS: Safety for After School Activities
Our PTA After School Activities chairs are already working with us to create new protocol for before and after school programs that reduce the amount of adults entering the building beyond the secure vestibule.
The following are examples of the protocol we will be collaborating on with PTA members this summer and early fall:
- For before and after school activities, students will be picked up by the activity leader in our front foyer and brought to the space used for the activity.
- Parent volunteers would need to sign-in through the front office and join the activity leader as they gather the children. This would be at the time designated by the activity leader and ideally occur during the Front Office hours of 8:00 a.m.-4:15 p.m.
- For before-school activities, parents dropping off children would need to bring them to the front office.
- Activity leaders will have a sign-in sheet to note attendance of both students and the parent volunteer(s).
- All students participating in After School activities need a GREEN NOTE for EACH day they attend their activity. We appreciate the GREEN NOTE's that students bring to us in the mornings so we can account for their safe arrival to their afternoon activity.
- When after school activities are completed, the activity leader will bring their group to the front foyer and sign-out students to an adult waiting in the secure vestibule. No students will be signed out without an adult picking them up.
We welcome your input and will be collaborating on these ideas and soliciting additional ones at our summer and early fall parent meetings.
Back-to-School Night Presentations Available on BPES Website
Howard County Library 2018 Summer Reading Club
We would like to congratulate and recognize some of our students who participated and completed the Summer Reading Club. Students completed various reading related activities all geared to helping them maintain reading levels and academic progress while they were home for the summer.
Our Bushy Park students who have been recognized in our PA Announcements and here in our newsletter are:
- Cooper Feldman
- Dexter Feldman
- Beckett Friedman
- Emma Friedman
- Liam Friedman
- Chloe Huxford
- Mason Jones
- Hudson Kerber
- Audra Kingsbury
- Keira Kingsbury
- Blake Levin
- Dylan Levin
- Amelia Miller
- Brock Miller
- Alexa Okojie
- Gabrielle Okojie
- Robin O'Neill
- Logan Phelps
- Batool Rizvi
- Hasnain Rizvi
- Christian Sexton
- Jonathan Sexton
- Ryan Sexton
- Clarissa Stein
- Veronica Stein
- Anna Sterrett
- Aubrey Sterrett
Early Dismissal Requests Until 3:15 p.m.
Please help us have an even more orderly dismissal. We are asking that all Early Dismissal requests are completed by 3:15 p.m.
If a parent arrives after 3:15 p.m. to pick up their student, we will ask them to wait until Dismissal at 3:45 p.m. Thank you for spreading the word and for your support!
Guidelines for School Visitation
The Howard County Public School System welcomes visitors to our schools. To limit interruptions and distractions to teaching and learning, and to maximize safety for everyone, persons who wish to visit a school building or classroom are asked to comply with the following procedures:
- Anyone wishing to visit a school is asked to contact the Principal to discuss the purpose of the visit and to establish a convenient time for both the visitor and the school.
- A teacher will be notified, either orally or in writing, in advance by a school administrator that a visit to their classroom has been requested. The teacher may request that the visit be rescheduled.
- Upon entering a school, all visitors must sign in at the main office and receive a visitor badge.
- To avoid interrupting instruction, no students are allowed to shadow HCPSS students.
- Understandably, interactions between visitors and school staff and students will be limited.
- If a follow-up meeting with school staff is desired, the visitor will schedule it for a mutually convenient time.
Cultural Arts News: Upcoming Event on November 15th
To take advantage of this opportunity, look out for our form in your Monday folder and attach a check made out to “Bushy Park PTA”. Barry’s visit to our school supports our efforts in promoting a love of reading and writing. Be sure to ask your child about Barry’s visit. To find out more about him, visit Barry on the web at www.barrylou.com.