The Korean War
By Connor Johnson and Domenick Riggio
Sabre pilot shoots down Russian Mig-15 bis
The new US M-38 Jeep, outfited with the eight channel ARC-3 radio.
This helicopter became one of a few introductions for the specialized team of men, the TACP or Tactical Air Control Party.
The Air War
In the years of WWII, Jet aircraft had been introduced to the world. However it wouldn't be until the Korean war broke out in 1950, that Jet aircraft would have a central role in aviation combat. The USSR supplied North Koreans, and the UN supplied South Koreans would be the first to engage in Jet combat.
Supplied Jet Fighters:
- F80c-Shooting Star (USAF)
- F86-a5 Sabre (USAF)
- Gloster Meteor (RAAF)
Roles of the war
North Korean and USSR Pilots
- Targeted B-29 bomber formation and intercepted ground attack fighter bombers.
South Korean and UN Pilots
- Tasked with supporting bomber formations, and engaging Mig's in combat.
- 792 Mig-15's and 108 other aircraft (La-9's, Yak-9p's) destroyed
- 211 Sabres and 277 F-80c's destroyed.
Ratio of Mig-15's to F86-a5 Sabres shot down is 10:1.
Impact on the Decade
Impact on Today and Solutions for the Future
Since the War was not one by either side this war is bound to emerge at some point in the future, and unless there is an agreement made beforehand... then the bloodshed and insane ideologies will continue.
1)Agence France Presse. (Producer). (2013). The Koreas: Sixty years of conflict [Video Clip]. Retrieved from http://elibrary.bigchalk.com
3) Hudner, T. J., & Busha, J. P. (2005, December 01). BOND OF BROTHERS. Flight Journal, (6), 64, Retrieved from http://elibrary.bigchalk.com
5) Korean Conflict Air War June 1950-July 1953, retrieved from: