Mrs. Morris' Class Room 220 (09-01-15 edition)
Our class is settling into our schedule and classroom routines nicely. Students are busy reading their reading group novels and learning how to participate in literature circles. Word Study groups will start on Tuesday, September 8th and quizzes will be every Friday. We are currently reviewing 4th grade Virginia Studies material and we will switch to science on Tuesday, Sept. 8th. Your Child's first science teacher will be Mr. Humphrey, and they will be learning about cells.
Please come September 8th to our Back to School Night. We will review fifth grade expectations and routines.
We are excited about our upcoming field trip to the UVA Art Museum for the Writer’s Eye tour on Monday, September 14th.
In the next couple of weeks, you will see a reading log come home. Please be sure to sign your child's reading log to verify that 150 minutes per week have been read. Please feel free to adjust the nightly minutes based on your family’s schedule, just be sure to have all 150 minutes completed each week.
All math classes are investigating numbers to develop a solid understanding of prime and composite numbers as well as the relationships between numbers. Our next step will be to learn about operating with large numbers and the distributive property. If you have math questions, please direct them to your child's math teacher.
We are excited to announce that 5th grade has been fortunate enough to have additional computers added to our grade level! We are currently working one-to-one in our classrooms. We are confident that these computers will continue to help support our students in the development of timeless and contemporary skills and competencies which enable life long success.
- I need a volunteer for Fridays during the times of 10:30-11:30am to help with Word Study.
- I also need a volunteer to make copies weekly, you can pick the day:)
- I need a volunteer for our field trip for Writer's Eye on Monday, the 14th of Sept. *We will only be able to take 1 volunteer, so the 1st person to email me will be chosen.
I know some people told me that they could help out at Open House, but I met so many new families and can't place who they were. Please email if you are interested in helping me. Thank you in advance!
DONATIONS NEEDED FOR SCIENCE
Donations are needed for our upcoming science unit. We are in need of:
- plastic bags of assorted colors (brown, blue, red, white, and ect)
- wooden dowel rods
- styrofoam cubes
- plastic bottles of various sizes
- plastic bottle lids
- duct tape
- pipe cleaners
- Aluminum soda cans (rinsed and punch a hole in bottom)
- cardboard toilet paper tubes or paper towel tubes
- scraps of cardboard
- colored construction paper
- 2 boxes of straws
- 2 balls of thick string
- 5 bottles of Elmers Glue
- Most of the items are recyclable items from your household:) Please send the items in, as you collect them. All of these materials will be used in our Science STEAM project. Thank you in advance.
BEE sure not to let these dates BUZZ by you!
September 8th – Back to School Night 6-7:30pm
September 9th – BEE Fall Registration
September 14th - Writer's Eye Field Trip to UVA
September 15th – International Dot Day & PTO Meeting
September 16th - Day of Caring
September 19th – BEE Fall Classes Begin
September 25th - Outdoor Picnic and Movie Night
September 28th – NO SCHOOL - Professional Dev. Day