Sherwood Schools: District Updates
December 16, 2022
Change to Elementary School Lunch Menu
Our elementaries will begin serving peanut butter & jelly sandwiches in the cafeteria starting in January 2023. The item that will be served is a Smucker's Uncrustable, a pre-packaged option. This means that there will be no risk of cross-contamination in the kitchens for students who experience peanut allergies and participate in school lunch.
Your children's safety is our highest concern. Safeguards will be in place so that students with peanut allergies will have an alert on their account, preventing them from being served an item containing peanuts. If you have any questions about our cafeteria processes to prevent cross-contamination, please contact Nutrition Services at email@example.com. If you want to discuss concerns about your own child's allergy with our Health Services Department, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
State Testing Update
Oregon's Statewide Assessments in science, mathematics, and English language arts will begin in February 2023 for juniors at Sherwood High School. Scheduled testing will take place during the school day. For additional information on the State Assessments from the Oregon Department of Education, please review the following link.
While no single test can give a complete picture of your child’s progress, statewide tests provide information to students and families, as well as to educators and administrators about what educational approaches are working and where additional resources are needed. Your child’s participation is important to ensure schools and districts receive the targeted resources they need to help all students succeed. Districts are rated on their participation levels as well as student performance on this exam. In addition, some Oregon community colleges and universities waive placement testing for entering students who score a 3 or higher on OSAS tests and meet the college’s standards for continued academic rigor in 12th grade.
Oregon law (ORS 329.479) permits parents and adult students to annually opt-out of Oregon’s statewide summative tests in English Language Arts and Math by submitting a form to the school the student attends. If you decide to opt your child out of the math and/or ELA state assessments, please submit the following form to the high school front office by January 13, 2023 to best support our school with planning.
Inclement Weather Alerts
- School Messenger - This is an automated system that will send district or school level alerts, newsletters, or announcements to the parent/guardian information on file with the school. If your email address or phone number have changed, please update your contact information with your child's school office. If you have unsubscribed from these messages in the past but would like to be re-enrolled, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
- District Website - All high-priority alerts will be posted to the main SSD website here (look for a red alert bar at the top of the website for most up-to-date information).
- District Social Media - The District is on Facebook at www.facebook.com/sherwoodschooldistrict88J or on Twitter at twitter.com/SherwoodSD
- FlashAlert - This is a free subscription service that alerts users via text or app notifications. Sign up at www.flashalert.net/signup or by downloading the FlashAlert app on your smartphone. If you have signed up for FlashAlert previously, please sign in to make sure your subscription is current. If you are not subscribed to our channel, you can search for "Sherwood Sch. Dist." to sign up for our district's alerts.
For information on this year's school bus snow routes, please visit our website here.
Update from the SHARE Center
Happy Holidays to all of you from us here at the SHARE center. We first wanted to THANK you all from the bottom of our hearts for the generous amount of support and donations we receive from you all. Our clothing closet is BURSTING at seams. We would like to invite EVERYONE to come and get winter clothing for the start of the New Year. You can make an appointment by contacting Alyssa at firstname.lastname@example.org or Maria at email@example.com.
We will also be changing our donations policy. We will now only accept donations on WEDNESDAY 8am-3pm every week. Due to the high level of clothing that we have received up to this point, we will only be accepting the following.
- Boy and Girl Clothing 0-24 months
- Boys Clothing all sizes
- Shoes in GOOD condition
- Clothing for teenagers both genders
Thank you for your support! - Alyssa and Maria from SHARE
NAMI of Washington County - Mental Health Resources for Parents
This school year, NAMI is offering free mental health education and support to parents of school-age youth in Washington County. They have classes you can join to learn about different mental health conditions, and speaker events where you can hear from other parents who've been there.
You can call or visit NAMI at their Aloha location if you ever just need someone to listen and/or connect you to the resources available. NAMI is here for you and the children in your life, and you are not alone. Their office is open from 10am-4pm Monday-Friday, and is located at 18680 SW Shaw St, Aloha. For more information or assistance, please contact 503) 356-6835.