Welcome Back Bears!
Back to School Reminders:
- All visitors must check in at the front office, show photo ID, and obtain a visitors pass. Please note: In order for the students, and new lunch monitors to have time to establish their routines, we will begin welcoming lunch visitors on Monday, August 19th.
- There are no check-outs after 2:15. Also, please remember to send a note to the teacher letting them know you will be checking your child out early. This will ensure your child has his/her belongings with them when you arrive. (Remember, classrooms are locked when not in use, if you arrive when your child's class is traveling, your child cannot access their belongings.)
- Transportation changes must be submitted in writing, no later than 12:30 PM. (We cannot accept transportation changes over the phone or via fax/email.)
- Bus passes are for emergencies only.
- All students must have a transportation tag attached to their backpack. If you purchase your child a new backpack throughout the year, please remove the tag from the old backpack and send it in to school with your child. We will attach it to their new backpack for you in the office.
- Car Riders, please be reminded there are no left turns when exiting on to Hurricane Shoals Road.
- Ice Cream will be sold during lunch each Friday starting 8/16. The cost is $1.
- Friday's are spirit wear days. Staff and students are encouraged to wear their Dyer/Mountain View spirit wear each Friday.
Dyer Elementary 2019-2020 School Council
Hello Parents and Community Members!
Are you looking for a way to get involved at Dyer Elementary School? Get connected by becoming a member of our 2019-2020 Local School Council. What is Local School Council? Well, it’s a group of at least seven members made up of parents, teachers, business members (who must also be parents) and other community members who meet directly with the principal, four times during the school year. During these meetings, the council will discuss Dyer's Local School Plan for Improvement and all aspects of school accountability.
This year, Dyer's School Council meeting dates are tentatively scheduled for:
Thursday, 9/12 from 8:00AM - 10:00AM at Mountain View High School (Cluster Meeting)
Monday, 11/4 from 9:30AM-11:30AM at Dyer Elementary School
Monday, 2/24 from 9:30AM-11:30AM at Dyer Elementary School
Monday, 4/13 from 9:30AM-11:30AM at Dyer Elementary School
If you are interested in being a member of our DES 19-20 Local School Council, please email Jennifer York at Jennifer_York@gwinnett.k12.ga.us Should we have an overwhelming response, we will hold elections to select the committee.
2019-2020 Free/Reduced Lunch Applications
Students that received free/reduced lunch during the 2018-2019 school year will have a 30 day grace period to re-apply for the 2019-2020 year.
Read - A - Thon is Coming!
We are excited to announce that we will be bringing back the Read-a-thon fundraiser this year!
Read-a-thon is a program that brings students together with family and friends to
encourage reading and to build literacy skills.
The main focus of the Read-a-thon is for everyone to know we are committed to
improving reading skills. To that end, the Read-a-thon promises to be a fun, exciting
journey for all participants as they begin a personal Reading Adventure that challenges
each reader to complete 10 reading sessions over our 2-week event.
Our Read-a-thon will start on Friday, August 23, 2019
Please check your child's Friday folder this afternoon for instructions explaining how you will activate their personal Read-a-thon page.
We understand that, as parents, you have high expectations for the quality of your
child’s education but also have limited time.
That’s why we chose to hold a Read-a-thon.
You will find this to be the easiest fundraiser possible. By simply activating your
reader’s personal page and using the promotional tools found there, friends and family
anywhere in the world can show their support for your reader by making a donation to
Your involvement in the Read-a-thon will help your child develop a lasting love of
We hope each one of you will activate your child’s personal page right away so they will be ready to go on the 23rd!
PAWSitively Exciting News!
During the first two weeks of school (and beyond) students will learn about the behavior expectations in each area of the school from the classrooms, to hallways, cafeteria, buses and so on. We teach these expectations using the acronym PAWS:
- Personal Best
- Act Responsibly
- Work & Play Safely
- Show Respect
Students are acknowledged and praised for exhibiting desired behaviors. In years past, we used a paper ticket economy where students would earn tickets that could be redeemed for prizes and parties. This year, we are shifting to an electronic points based economy. This new PBIS Rewards system will make it easier for all of our staff members to recognize students' positive behavior. While our ticket economy is going paperless, our student rewards (PAWS cart, PAWS Parties, raffles, etc.) will remain the same.
Parents, you can help support this program in a variety of ways:
- Review the DES behavior expectations with your child using our PAWS acronym.
- Donate your time! We will need parent helpers to help students shop on the prize cart, and to assist with PAWS parties throughout the year. New this year! We are seeking a PAWS Parent for each grade level to assist in securing items for prize carts, and helping to plan PAWS parties. (See your child's teacher for more information.)
- Help solicit local businesses for small gifts and/or gift cards for staff rewards.
- Donate prizes for students. Anything from dollar tree/Oriental trading items to gift cards.
- Make a financial contribution of $5 per student (part of Online Orientation fees) to help offset the cost of student prizes/parties & PBIS Rewards Program software.
- Support our PAWS fundraisers and spirit nights throughout the year. We already have two fundraisers up and running, birthday messages on our marquee and Stay PAWSitive t-shirts, see below for more information.
STAY PAWSitive T-shirts: On Sale Now!
Sizes are available in Youth XS through Adult 3X. Cost is $15 (additional charge for 2X & 3X) and orders can be placed via MyPaymentsPlus through Friday 8/30. We will have samples in a full size run available at both curriculum nights for anyone that would like to see the shirt in person. Shirts will be delivered the second week in September.
Birthday Wishes in Big Lights!
15 - Sonic Spirit Night
21- Brusters Blue Ice day
23- Read-a-Thon Kick off
30- College Spiritwear day