Greyhound Newsletter 8/20/21
"Blended Learning Initiative" for 21-22
This year you must sign up for a time slot. Students are limited to one additional guest and masks are required for all.
At this time our students and staff that have been vaccinated will not need to quarantine, if in close contact of someone COVID positive, unless they are experiencing symptoms.
Chromebooks are coming! Please click to complete the agreement form ASAP!
All students in grades 6-12 will be issued a district Chromebook and should have it in their hands by the end of the first week!
What does this mean and what do we need to do?
- Blended learning enhances in-person learning by providing each student educational access to digital and online resources.
- Teachers and students will use the Chromebooks for in-person classroom activities and students may take the devices home for schoolwork and collaboration.
- ONLY district owned Chromebooks will be allowed. You will not be able to send a personal Chromebook, laptop, or tablet to school.
- Blended learning is not distance learning. While it will definitely make life easier for students who miss school due to illness or school activities, it will not look like distance learning did last year.
- There are no up-front fees for families. Fees may be assessed for missing or damaged equipment.
- Devices will be returned at the end of each school year.
- The Blended Learning 1-1 Agreement Form must be completed for each student by Tuesday, August 24 so we can have Chromebooks ready for check out at Jump Start.
- Students may not pick up a Chromebook unless that agreement has been completed by their parent or guardian.
- Additional opportunities for Chromebook check out will be held during Open House and in the first week of school. All students are expected to have the form filled out so they can have the Chromebook in their hands by the end of the first week.
- Teachers may start expecting student work through those Chromebooks the second week of school.
Required Back-to-School Forms (itemized list)
Sign Up for a Jump Start Session We are requiring sign ups this year, and probably in subsequent years, to eliminate long lines and heavy congestion.
Required for ALL STUDENTS:
- 2021-2022 Blended Learning 1 to 1 Agreement This one is really important, all students must have a district chromebook this year and this agreement is needed prior to pick up at Jump Start.
- Annual Health History Sorry, this one is still paper only- a paper copy is on it's way to you in the mail now.
- Family and Student Handbook Consent Form
- The District mails a copy of the handbook to each household, make sure you read it and sign the online consent form.
- Locker Agreement Form
- Academic Honesty Online Form
- Attendance Policies and Procedures Online Form
- Dress Code Online Acknowledgement
Optional or just for some students:
- Order a Back to School Tshirt from Exec for $1
- School Photo Orders
- Educational Benefits Form (We encourage ALL families to fill out this form, whether you may use the individual benefits or not, as it is a critical aspect of school funding.)
- Parking Permit Online Application (Seniors have first priority)
- SENIORS ONLY: Late Start or Early Release (not both) Parent/Guardian Permission Form
- SENIORS ONLY: Open Campus Lunch Parent/Guardian Permission Form
- Yearbook Website Please visit the Birch Log site to learn how to order a yearbook, send in senior photos, etc. a table will be set up at Jump Start- the price goes up as the year goes on, order as soon as you can!
- Music Boosters Contact Info Form- THIS ONE IS PRINT ONLY - copies will be available at Jump Start - for all families who want to receive communication
- All Night Grad Party Registration Form (Seniors only)
Remember that right now masks are required in all district buildings and only one guest per student will be allowed at Jump Start. Thank you in advance for your support in helping us with this by arriving with a mask on. If you forget we will have one for you.
Jump Start is Scheduled for Wednesday, August 25 from 12:00-6:00 pm.
*Please note: each student may only bring ONE guest and masks are required!
Jump Start registration will take place on Wednesday, August 25, 2021 from 12:00-5:45 p.m. This year to control the flow and lines, we are asking that you sign up for a time slot. Please click here to sign up: Jump Start 2021
What is Jump Start?
- Students will receive their schedule and locker assignments.
- All students in grades 9-12 will have their school pictures taken on this day. For grades 9-11 this photo is for the yearbook and a new student ID. Seniors are required to get their photo taken for an ID that all students MUST have. You must be recognizable, no face paint, hats or sunglasses.
- All required forms are linked in this newsletter and can be found on our website. We ask that you complete the forms prior to Jump Start but they are all REQUIRED to be completed by Friday, September 10, 2021. If you are unable to complete the forms online we will have paper forms available at Jump Start and in the office during open hours.
- Visit our Activity Fair! It will be also open again during Open House. This is an amazing chance to visit tables set up around our commons area and learn more about the incredible opportunities to participate in activities outside the classroom.
- If you are entering grades 10, 11, or 12 and are new to our building, we will have students available on Jump Start Day to take you on a tour. This is especially important for any students who stayed in distance learning all year. Take the opportunity to find your classes and learn your way around. (9th grade students will have full tours during Hound Pack on September 1.)
What if we are uncomfortable coming to the large back-to-school events or can't make it?
As you receive your counseling assignment next week you can also work with them if you have concerns about other events or things you need to take care of for the fall return.
Click the flyer above to place an online order for school photos!
The link above is active for 48 hours after picture day. Once this code expires, families can still order pictures through MyLifetouch.com for their students with the codes (Portrait ID & Access Code) that are provided on the proof sheet. These proof sheets come with the bulk shipment of packages approximately 3-4 weeks after picture day. Every student that had their picture taken will receive a proof sheet.
If you have questions about their order, or are having troubles ordering, contact LIfetouch Customer Care at 1-800-736-4753. The hours are Monday - Friday. 8am-8pm, EST.
Printed Planners will be available for all students again this year. Pick up at Jump Start or in the Main Office after Jump Start.
Each fall Exec Board sells shirts to students at a very low cost. Click here to sign up to purchase yours. They will be distributed the first week of school.
SCHEDULES ARE NOT FINAL UNTIL THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL. As changes are made we often need to re-balance classes. The classes you have shouldn't change, but the hour and teacher might.
Schedule changes will ONLY be made if a form is completed and turned in (NO EMAIL OR PHONE CALLS ACCEPTED).
Any student who meets any of the allowed circumstances may pick up a schedule change request form that must be signed before it is turned in to the counseling office. Please be patient when requesting a schedule change. Counselors are unable to meet with everyone on the first day and you may have to wait for an appointment. Students should report to their assigned class until the meeting with their counselor to see if a change is possible.
SENIORS ONLY: Late Start/Early Release and Open Campus Lunch Forms
We are allowed to have open campus for lunch as long as the parent/guardian and student agree to the following conditions. Failure to meet these conditions may result in the privilege of open campus being revoked for the student and possibly for the entire senior class. Students MUST have this completed form submitted by the parent/guardian in order to be allowed to leave campus.
You MUST have your student ID on it's lanyard and in order to be allowed to leave at lunch. Those students with a completed form will receive a sticker for the back, making it easily identifiable by supervisory staff and principals at the door.
Additional Forms You May Need
Yearbook Website Please visit the Birch Log site to learn how to order a yearbook, send in senior photos, etc. a table will be set up at Jump Start- the price goes up as the year goes on, order as soon as you can!
Music Boosters Contact Info Form- THIS ONE IS PRINT ONLY - copies will be available at Jump Start - for all families who want to receive communication
All Night Grad Party Registration Form (Seniors only)
PTSA (Parent/Teacher/Student Association) Membership form, Wish List information (optional for all)
Parking Pass Applications
*During the first week of school, parking in the main lot is first-come, first-served. Students are NOT allowed to park on Greyhound Drive, in the Stadium Lot, or in the Staff Lot across the street. You can expect a Duluth Police Department Parking Ticket should you violate our parking rules. Repeat offenses result in your car being removed (towed).
*NEW this year, you will not have to submit a paper copy of your valid driver's license or proof of insurance. You WILL be asked to show them at the time of permit distribution.
This is the summary document of all major events at EHS. For full details and team schedules, visit the link at the end of the newsletter. *ALL DATES AND EVENTS ARE TENTATIVE AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE due to COVID, weather, etc.
Counseling Office Notes: Welcome New Counselors!
We are thrilled to welcome our new counselors and appreciate the additional time we will now be able to devote to our students in these much smaller caseloads. Our new counselors begin the week of August 30. Until then Mrs. Savre and Mrs. Forsman are doing their very best to answer any questions and respond to counseling office requests. We thank you for your patience as the school year begins.
New Counselor Assignments are below with their contact information.
Counseling Office Contacts:
Jenn LaBelle, Registrar: ext 2143, email@example.com
Jamie Savre, Counselor (A-E): ext 2154, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jessica Forsman, Counselor (F-La): ext 2041, email@example.com
Morgan Costley, Counselor (Le-Re), ext TBD, firstname.lastname@example.org
Laura Horton, Counselor (Rh-Z,) ext TBD, email@example.com
Click for resources both at East and in our local community for supporting student and family mental health.
Activities Office News
CLICK HERE for the Athletic Registration Packet (can be filled out online if you are currently enrolled and in the system as an East High School Student)
Please have the following information ready before starting the registration process:
- ISD709 Student Number (Lunch Number)
- Contact Information (E-mail Addresses, Phone Numbers)
- Emergency Contact Information
- Family Medical History
- Health/Dental Insurance Information
We welcome a new Activities Office Clerical staff member this year, Alyssa Thompson accepted another position in the district.
Activities Office Contacts
, Clerical/Treasurer: ext 2304,
Shawn Roed, Activities Director: ext 2151, firstname.lastname@example.org
This calendar has details about practices, games, rehearsals, and events in our facilities.
Tickets can be purchased online in advance and at the door/gate with cash, check, or card. Avoid the lines! Purchase online and have your e-ticket ready to scan as you enter.
Notes and Resources from Outside Agencies (Not ISD 709)
We are passing along an opportunity for any Class of 2021 students who were unable to graduate this past spring or during summer school. This is a pilot project between YES Duluth and LSC specifically crafted for seniors that did not graduate.
If the senior is eligible for YES Duluth (their status of not graduating on time greatly improves eligibility), then they can enroll in both YES Duluth and LSC. They will attend LSC for in-person GED prep/support and First Year Experience. Their tuition will be paid for by YES Duluth, and each student may be eligible for a stipend for their GED class time.
There are only 15 slots as we are trying to keep this a small pilot project. Please click the link to learn more.
Click to learn about the volunteer led All Night Grad Party. This is an event organized and run by a parent/guardian volunteer group with the help of many local businesses.
This form and payment can be turned in to the ANGP box located in the high school office at any time. Bring it to Jump Start! We will have paper copies available.