Week of May 22, 2017
Message From The Principal: Week of 5/22/2017
Dear PRT Family,
Just like that we are in the last week of school, summer vacation is about to become a reality, and the 16-17 school year will come to a close. I hope the school year has been a positive experience for your child. I hope they were able to take part in some of the many offerings PRT has. If they just finished their time at PRT, I wish them all the best and hope to hear how they are doing as they continue their school careers! For those who are returning, I look forward to the continued effort we all make for our students; for their growth academically, socially, and emotionally. I look forward to watching them grow as students, to grow as people. Middle school is a unique time, but can be an awesome time. I love the community of PRT staff, of parents, of the entire district as we all work toward preparing kids for their future. The middle school roller coaster doesn't slow down but it can certainly be a fun (if not scary at times) ride. I want to thank the entire PRT community for the support you have given to Prairie Trail, to our staff, and especially to the students. It takes a village and we all have our part. I wish everyone a great summer and I look forward to an exciting 17-18 school year ahead!
Rick Sola, principal
5th Grade Families...
- I will update this weekly (except during the summer)
- I will send you an email letting you know it's been updated and with what new topics
- I aim to be as timely as I can in the information
- I try to minimize communications to this weekly
- This is a great place to reference and stay in the "know" on what is occurring at PRT
- Of course you can also always check out our home page: http://schools.olatheschools.com/buildings/prairietrail/
- There is a link to the Husky Tracks on the PRT home page as well
- Also, follow us on Twitter @PRT_Huskies to see some of the lighter things going on at PRT
- If at any time you feel like you may not be receiving information from the school please contact us at 913-780-7280. Data Operator, Lisa Polson, will be able to verify contact info on file.
With that, I want to welcome you and express just how much I am looking forward to you joining the PRT community next Fall. Please don't hesitate to reach out with questions. If you are new to the PRT you are joining a great place!
Rick Sola, principal
This past week...ICYMI...
- Students no longer have their iPads--they were checked in on Friday, 5/19
- Orchestra and band are amazing and demonstrated as much at their concerts on Monday and Tuesday respectively
- Dodge Ball can be competitive--as was demonstrated in the epic PRT Annual Dodge Ball Tournament--32 teams play to the championship--it was great to see so many freshmen come back and ref the games! Congrats to the "Dodging Divas" on their victory.
- 8th Grade had a great time at Power Play for their EOY celebration--thanks to all your efforts in fundraising to make this event possible
- It's Complicated was performed twice on Wednesday--this was the student-created (100%) musical to raise money for bullying awareness
- Lockers were cleaned out on Thursday
- Jazz Band played in the MPR on Friday morning--the last Friday of the year!
The 17-18 District Calendar is available!
Lunch Account Reminders...
Will your student be participating in Fall sports?
- Girls' and Boys' Basketball
- Wrestling (intramural)
- Cross Country (intramural)
- Cheer and Dance
Fuel Up for Summer Fun
Olathe Food Services once again will be providing meals during the summer. We will have two sites available to any child between the ages of 1-18 at no cost. It does not matter what their status is during the school year, the lunches are free to all. The sites are at Ridgeview and Washington Elementary. We will be providing meals June 5th- 29th, Monday-Thursday. The serving time is 11:00-12:30. See more info on the fliers attached to the 5/15 weekly email.
DC/NY Parent Meeting
Parents interested in the DC/NY trip for Spring 2018, there is a parent meeting on May 23 in the Library from 7-7:30 PM. You may contact Mrs. Jaeger at email@example.com with questions.
***As a reminder, this trip is not school sponsored or school affiliated but many of our students have attended the past several years***
Online Registration for 17-18 Coming This Summer!
District to Launch Online Registration
The Olathe Public Schools registration process has gotten easier for parents. Beginning in July, parents will be able to complete all registration for their children for the 2017-18 school year entirely ONLINE. That means no more waiting in long lines on registration day. Demographic information can be updated, notifications can be approved, fees can be paid online through the district’s online registration process beginning in July. It's important to note that families new to the district will need to visit their child's
school to register. More information about online registration and available assistance from your school will be coming soon.
El distrito está a punto de lanzar las inscripciones electrónicas El proceso de inscripciones en las Escuelas Públicas de Olathe se ha vuelto más fácil para los padres. A partir del mes de julio, los padres podrán completar todas las inscripciones de sus estudiantes de manera electrónica para el año escolar 2017-18. Esto quiere decir que ya no habrá que hacer más largas filas de espera durante el día de las inscripciones. La información demográfica podrá ser actualizada, las notificaciones podrán ser aprobadas y, los pagos podrán realizarse de manera electrónica a través del sistema en línea del distrito a partir del mes de julio. Es importante aclarar que aquellas familias que sean nuevas en el distrito necesitarán visitar personalmente la escuela a la que asistirá su estudiante para poder completar el proceso de inscripción. Más información acerca de las inscripciones electrónicas y la asistencia disponible que tendrá lugar en las escuelas será enviada muy poronto.
KAYS Leadership Camp-July 24-28 in Junction City, KS
It is still not too late to register for KAY Leadership Camp. Please send your son/daughter’s registration form to Mrs. Arnold and she will send them in with the school’s form.
Dates to Know in May...
***Teacher Appreciation Week--5/8-5/12***
- 5-1--6/7 Girls' Bball and Vball mtg. (ICE)
- 5-2--City Track Meet (9:30am-Girls; 2:30pm-Boys)
- 5-9--Teacher Appreciation Day!
- 5-4--Track Uniform Check-in (washed)
- 5-5--Mentor Minutes: Topic TBD; New WEB @ ONW (AM)
- 5-8--Choir Variety Show Tech Reh.-3:15-5:30pm-Aud.; Husky Honors-7pm
- 5-9--Choir Variety Show Dress Reh.--3:15-5:30pm-Aud.; EOY Track Party-ICE
- 5-10--Clubs; Choir Variety Show Matinees; Dance Banquet; School Nurse Appreciation Day
- 5-11--7/8 Jazz Concert @ PRT-7pm; 17-18 Cheer Meeting (ICE)
- 5-12--Choir Variety Show-6pm/7:30pm (2 shows); Yearbook Signing (ICE)
- 5-15--EOY Orchestra Concert--7pm--PRT Gym
- 5-16--8th Grade Celebration 11am-2pm (Powerplay); 5/6 Area Band Concert @ PRT-7pm
- 5-17--It's Complicated matinee; Library Books Due; WEB EOY Luncheon; Dodge Ball Tournament Begins
- 5-18--Dodge Ball Tournament Ends
- 5-19--iPad check-in day
- 5-21--High School Graduation Day
- 5-25--Last Day of 4th quarter--All Grades 1/2 Day
- 5-26--Last Day for Staff
- 5-29--Memorial Day
- 5-30--Summer Weights Begins (see Ms. Smith with questions)
- 5-31--Cheer Camp (through June 4); Report Cards Mailed Home
PRT Summer Camps
Forms and information can be found in the PRT front office, the school website, and the head coach.
- Summer Weights--May 30-June 29--(Coach Smith) (flier attached to the Blackboard email of "week of 5/1")
- Boys' Basketball Camp (Grades 4,5,6)--June 12-15--8-10am (Coach Sharpe)
- Boys' Basketball Camp (Grades 7/8)--June 12-16--10:30am-12:30pm (Coach Sharpe)
- Dance Camp--6/19-6/22 (Coach Willis)
- Volleyball Camp--6/26-6/29--9-11am (Coach Bailey)
- Football Camp--7/10-7/13--7:30-9:30am-- (Coach Sharpe)
- Girls' Basketball Camp--7/10-7/13--9-11am
For more information go to our webpage...
Bold text are new to this week's Husky Tracks
- Last chance to get lost and found items! Please check the lost and found for missing items...items will be donated a week after school lets out (6/2)
- The back drive is a one-way drive and for staff only. For the safety of students and staff please do not use the back drive to drop off students or otherwise pass through.
- Traffic Reminder: Please use the west drive for dropping off or picking up students. The front drive is reserved for buses from 7:15-7:40am and 3:10-3:20pm. Drivers may park up front during these times if coming into the building.
- Student attire--a reminder as the weather warms daily attire should reflect the academic nature of PRT. Shorts should be at an appropriate length and tank tops without a cover avoided.
Locating Your Student's Report Card on ParentVue
Be sure to check your Parent Vue account for your student’s report cards and mid-term progress reports.
The Quarter 2/Semester 1 Report Card have already been posted to your ParentVue account. In your ParentVue account, go to the left margin and click on Report Card. Make sure QT2 is selected. You can also see the report card if you click on the A+ icon under your student’s picture.
Here are the remaining report card and mid-term progress report dates to check your ParentVue account for:
- Mid-Term 3 – Will be handed out at Feb. 8th and 9th Teacher Conference and posted to ParentVue.
- Quarter 3 Report Card – Posted to ParentVue on March 24, 2017
- Mid-Term 4 – Posted to ParentVue on April 19, 2017.
- Quarter 4/Semester 2 Report card – Mailed on and posted to Parent Vue on May 31, 2017
If you want information to set up a ParentVue account, contact Lisa Polson, 913-780-8243.
Traffic in the front drive is limited to buses only between 7:15 and 7:40am. Cars should arrive to PRT travelling north on Valley Road in the carline. For the safety of students and other drivers, students are not to be dropped off along 107th Street. If you need to bring something into the building you can use the front drive and park in a visitor spot.
Students waiting for their rides beyond 3:30 will be asked to move to the front of the building. This is for their safety as the office and PRT will be accessible if they are in need.
Heart Screenings Available
Our district is always looking for ways to ensure the health and wellness of our students. Providing the opportunity for health services that parents may otherwise not know exist is one more we can help.
We are pleased to have made arrangements for ATS HeartCheck to offer their comprehensive heart screening available for your child. The screening includes an EKG and echocardiogram (heart ultrasound) to help diagnose hidden conditions. According to the American Heart Association at least one-half million children in the US have some form of cardiac problem or 1 in 100 kids.
ATS HeartCheck has a limited number of appointments available for the discounted rate of $99 for students ages 8 and older, and pre-registration is required. The normal cost for these tests would exceed $1,500, if done in the hospital or doctor’s office.
All of us involved feel strongly that we don't want any family missing out on this opportunity due to financial issues. Therefore, you can request a discount as well as schedule your child’s appointment by visiting www.ATSHeartCheck.com and click "Make an Appointment" to access both the scheduling and the discount form.
All discounts are determined by, and made possible by grants provided by the Strive for Life Foundation and the Jordan Robert Mann Foundation. Questions or assistance should be directed to ATS by calling their office at (913) 735-5760.
Check out the link at the Olathe Public Schools webpage for additional information:
Daily Bell Schedule
Hour 1 7:50 – 8:40
Hour 2 8:45 – 9:35
Hour 3 9:40 – 10:30
Hour 4 10:35 – 11:25
Hour 4 10:35 – 11:50 (Orion/Pegasus Only)
1st Lunch: 10:35-11:00 (Orion)
2nd Lunch 10:55-11:20 (Pegasus)
Hour 5 11:55-12:45 (Orion/Pegasus Only)
Hour 5 11:30-12:45
3rd Lunch 11:30-11:55
- Semester 1: Glacier and Tundra
Semester 2: Glacier, Tundra, Yukon
4th Lunch 11:55-12:20
- Semester 1: Patriot, Freedom, Liberty
- Semester 2: Patriot and Freedom
5th Lunch 12:20-12:45
Semester 1: Andromeda, Yukon, PE Tundra
- Semester 2: Andromeda, Liberty, PE Patriot
Hour 6 12:50 – 1:40
Hour 7 1:45 – 2:35
ICE 2:40 – 3:10
Office Staff and Information
During the school year, the office at PRT is open Monday thru Thursday from 7:00am to 4:00pm., and Friday 7:00am to 3:30pm.
Please let us know how we can be of assistance.
Receptionists: Kim Wilson/Roxanne Humphry
Assistant Principal's Secretary: Shannon Gouger
Attendance Secretary: Barb Walters
Bookkeeper/Principal's Secretary: Amanda Koerner
Data Operator: Lisa Polson
School Nurse: Julie Beth Anselmi
School Resource Officer (SRO): Joel Flachsbarth and K-9 Zura
Administrators and Counselors:
Elizabeth Holland, Assistant Principal (7th Grade students)
Jennifer Stoskopf, Assistant Principal (8th Grade students)
Rick Sola, Principal (6th Grade students)
Carolyn Hall, Counselor (6th and Glacier students)
Cindy Hey, Counselor (Tundra/Yukon and 8th Grades students)
New Staff Members to PRT in 2016-17
Elizabeth Holland - Assistant Principal
Josh Jetton – 8th Grade Science – Team Freedom
Kelsey Willis – 8th Grade Language Arts/Dance Team Coach – Team Freedom
Alex Schmidt – Spanish/WEB
Kim McKissick – 7th Grade Social Studies/WEB – Team Glacier
Molly Miller – Job Share Computer classes and Cheerleading class teacher
Jennifer Klinkenberg – Orchestra
Matt Koskela – 7th Grade Science – Team Tundra
Melissa Klusman – Read 180
Amanda Koerner -- Principal's Secretary/Bookkeeper