The "Oskaloosa Syllabus"
May, 2014 - News YOU can Use!
Iowa Assessment Data
If you look on HEART, you will notice when comparing to last year, we made some substantial improvements when comparing Apples/Apples (same students) in terms of one year's growth. You will also notice declines comparing Apples/Oranges which are major areas of concern (different students). How can the work in your PLC be driven, in part, by the data you will see this spring? How did individual students perform from one year to the next? What are the causes of the improvements or declines? And the most critical question: "What will we do as a result? "
PLC's should use this data to determine how the year went for their classrooms and their grade. They should also look at the grade beneath theirs to identify the strengths of the group and the areas of concern.
HEART - a link is also on the Teacher Resource Page: https://assessment.gpaea.k12.ia.us/
We will not know how we compared to the AEA or State until our data is uploaded into EdInsight - the state data warehouse.
Technology PD for Next Year
Professional Development scheduled next year is specific to 2 topics per building: Infinite Campus, Google or Deeper Learning with Technology. There will be 3 days set aside for this professional development; the individual plans will be part of your own learning and professional growth.
The graphic below - shared by Shari - illustrates how professional development has changed since the days of "sit and get". We know a one-size fits all approach is not effective. PLC's and professional learning allow us to individualize our experiences to meet our individual needs.
Phonics Resource Purchase Put on Hold
- Continue to use Fundations next year - use as Primary resource and supplement as needed based on student needs
- Bring a literacy "expert" in to observe our phonics instruction and report any disconnects we have using our current method of instruction/resource
- Identify the most effective change to make: new resource, additional training, tweak instruction
If you have any questions regarding this decision feel free to contact Dr. Cooksley
Instructional Coach Survey
Your answers will help us to know how to best serve and meet your needs next year. Look for the survey the 1st week of May.
Teachers Possibly Needed for Elementary Summer School (Jump Start)
We will offer current students/parents in K-2 the opportunity to participate "free of charge" in the summer school. Identified because of academic need, an invitation will go out this spring.
ADDITIONAL TEACHERS MAY BE NEEDED!!! If you are interested in partnering with Wm. Penn and possible lead activities this summer, please let Dr. Cooksley know. We do not know at this time how many teachers might be needed - it depends on enrollment.
Summer school runs from July 14-25 from 8:30-11:50 each day.
High School Piloting Standards-Based Grading!
Rather, they will use a 0, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4 scale as feedback to students on their performance/evidence of learning. Letter grades will still be reported out on report cards, but they will not be discussed or used in the classroom.
Because this is a big change, an action plan is being created. Communication with parents will be the critical piece of this implementation. Student communication initially and on-going will play a critical role as well.
Teachers are enthusiastic about this improvement - we will keep you up-to-date on progress toward implementation.
PLC to Watch for May is ALL PLC's!!!!!
Remember - everyone in the district is a critical piece of the puzzle - working together we can "Believe, Achieve, and Create with PRIDE"!!!
PLC Work in May
May 14th - PLC with Extended Vertical - T-shirt and jean day :-)
In May is when we have many PLC tasks to complete.
- Determine success on SMART Goal and report out - review student assessment data to determine successes for the year
- Identify struggling students (1's and 2's) and communicate those students to the next grade level
- Review student assessment data (Iowa Assessments, MAP and other building assessments) to determine possible work for next year
No PLC on May 21st - but it can be used for Building Choice!
Something to Make you Chuckle!
DLT Update for April
- The HS will begin a pilot with Standards-Based Grading. Meetings will begin soon to make the critical decisions to get started
- DLT members participated in an activity around Bloom's and Questioning. Many said they would utilize this in their PLC. As them about it!
- Reviewed Characteristics of Effective Instruction!
- Discussed how the DLT can bring and keep our new Vision and Mission alive! "Believe, Achieve, and Create with Pride" and "Engaging ALL Students to Embrace the Power of Learning"
DAC Update - April
- Reviewed our timeline - countdown to the Site Visit
- Collective Commitments - the group broke into groups based their roles - Student, Staff, Parents and Admin/School Board. Each group came up with some sample ideas of what they would commit to doing to increase student learning, etc.
- The idea is to have the DAC members help facilitate conversations next year with groups to develop these in a collaborative manner. More on this next fall!
Major Change to PLC/Extended Focus for Next Year
- 1st and 3rd Wednesdays are still two-hour PLC's
- Vertical/Building Choice/PD extended times are flipped with PLC's on the 2nd, 4th, and 5th Wednesdays - this will help accommodate coaches, etc. who typically miss all Vertical Team meetings
- The 4th Wednesday will be more flexible in terms of what content will be delivered... Elementary will have 1-hour of PD centered around the Iowa Core while the MS and HS will use the 4th Wednesday for building choice... more PLC, Vertical or PD.
The 2014-2015 Professional Development Plan should be completed before you leave for the summer - look for it in May sometime. It will have all CT meetings, DLT, DAC, PLC Facilitator meetings, etc. for you to put on your calendar :-)
Emphasis on Iowa Core!
Teaching Channel Videos - Continued Professional Learning
These are great examples any classroom could emulate and make successful!!!!!!