Tuesday Tech Tips
September 23, 2014
Google Forms - Create Surveys, Assessments, Quizzes, and more.
In one of my masters classes I came across Google Forms. Ever since then, I have been hooked and have used them for just about anything. A Form not only lets you create an online survey/assessment, but it compiles all of the data in a spreadsheet. With a few more clicks of the mouse you can also have the Form graded within a matter of seconds. Results, trends, and low-scoring students/questions are immediately available and highlighted for you. Reteaching and making data-driven decisions can be done on that same day.
To grade your results, you need to install the add-on called Flubaroo. This is very easy to download and you do not need authorization from your IT department because it is within Google. Here is a Flubaroo overview for you to follow or contact me for further support.
Geometry Nets Creator
Here is an example net that I created.
Here is an example of the net put together.
Remind Communication Tool
1) The first feature allows you to attach a file to your message. This could be a study guide, spelling words, a permission slip, etc.
2) The second feature allows you to schedule your Remind messages for a specific time, and they will be sent automatically at that time.
3) When using the Remind App off on your phone, you may add 15 second voice clips for parents or students to hear.
4) Parents and students are able to give instand feedback using Stamps. When a message is sent out, recipients have the ability to choose from four stamps: a star, a checkmark, a "X", and a question mark. This could be useful to see who or who is not attending the field trip, who is confused about a topic, or who read an article. Feedback is only visible to the teacher, so students or parents can feel comfortable providing accurate stamps.
Here are some ideas on what to text your students about:
- Deadline reminders
- Links to YouTube videos, articles, or pictures
- Add a 15 second voice clip (used within the phone app only)
- Kudos to a few students or the entire class
- Files such as permission slips, study guides, homework, or spelling lists
- A "this day in history," or "by the numbers" fact
- Use Stamps to poll your class. Use the ckeckmark for "yes" and the "x" for "no"
- Poll questions using Google Forms or Poll Everywhere
- School news
- Extra Credit
Get Connected with Me Using Remind
Remind Groups-Click on the group you wish to follow to get set-up directions:
*It takes an average of 15 seconds to sign up
*One out of five teachers in America use Remind
*Over 60 million messages are sent through Remind each month
Visit My Page on the HISD's Website!
50 Grants for Educators
"Get Your Tech On" Webinars
- Hot Tech Tools for Today’s Classrooms
- Tips for Building Successful 1:1 Classrooms
- How to Integrate Game-Based Learning in Your Classroom
- Transform Your Classroom: Digital Resources You Can Use Tomorrow
Visit the site to sign up and learn more.
Sometimes it is hard to think of tech needs on the spot, so if you have a running list of questions you would like answers to I can answer them on my school visit.