MARCH 5, 2018
I hope your weekend was great!
Last week was a great week. Thank you to KOE for all they did to make it special. I know that all of you greatly enjoyed the desserts, the dress-up days, and all of the other wonderful gifts that you received. It is awesome to celebrate the great profession in which we all partake.
There are a lot of fantastic things that are happening at FHN. Look no further than the list of celebrations below or the celebrations that were shared last week. From National Merit Finalists to Teacher of the Year to Pacemaker Award winners, our students and our colleagues are excelling. There is a lot of which to be proud, and I am hoping your share in that pride.
I look forward to what the upcoming weeks will bring. Go Knights!
- Congratulations to FHN English Language Arts teacher Shelly Parks, the FHSD Teacher of the Year! Watch the video an… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Congratulations to Andrew Tollefson on winning the Governor’s Council on Disabilities Youth Leaderships Award. Way to go, Andrew!
- 7 AP Calculus BC students, along with Greg Brown, attended the 21st annual Area Math Tournament at Saint Charles Community College this past Saturday. This year was FHN’s first year in attendance in recent years. Student Madeline Fields placed 3rd in the Target Round for Seniors! Way to go FHN Mathletes!
- FHN speech and debate qualifies three to state: Riley Lawson in Dramatic Interp, Caitlind Walker in International Extemp and Noah Slaughter, DISTRICT CHAMP in Lincoln Douglas. Other award winners for the team were freshmen Minnie Adams and Sami Smith, third in Duet Acting; sophomore Connor Peper, fourth in Lincoln-Douglas Debate; junior Aslee Addison, 7th in Radio Speaking; Riley Lawson, fourth in Prose Reading; Noah Slaughter, fourth in Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking; and the fourth-place Public Forum Debate team of Caitlind Walker and Riley Lawson.
- Congrats to 2018 Online Pacemaker finalist @FHNtoday ow.ly/mWtV30iIEQ3
- FHN Mock Trial Team is State Bound! They are amazing! Way to go, Knights!
- Congratulations to KOE on an awesome week. Thank you for all of your hard work!
Howell of Fame
We have so many awesome people at FHN. Please consider consider nominating someone deserving for the 2018 Howell of Fame! The Howell of Fame Award recognizes the excellence of character, performance, and effort of those who serve FHSD as employees, volunteers, and patrons. Learn more or submit a nomination online here: http://ow.ly/Jn7r30iaSzf
Did you know there are more than 87,000 registered voters that live in FHSD? You can be one too! If you are not yet registered, but would like to vote in the April 3, election, you have until March 7, to register. Find info online: (link: http://bit.ly/2GTVtZU) bit.ly/2GTVtZU
The Climate Committee met last Tuesday, 2/27. We viewed the student climate data and the notes from the Student Summit that was held on 2/1. The committee selected highlights from the notes to be shared at an upcoming faculty meeting and at a possible lunch and learn. Our students had great things to say!
Climate Committee 3/20
Staff Donuts 3/21
FHN currently has 83.5% of students attending 90% of the time. This past week we held diversionary meetings, homebound meetings, and conducted a home visit for various students who struggle with attendance. The Attendance Committee will meet next Thursday to discuss the progress on improving our Attendance Ally program and to brainstorm further steps we can take as a building.
Next Committee Meeting: March 8th
The Behavior team was unable to meet this past week. We will be meeting this Tuesday, March 6th at 2:30 in Room 8. This will be an information gathering meeting
and we will be reviewing behavior data and begin discussions of an expectation matrix for the building.
FHN needs a representative for the District Tech Committee. The next meeting is 3/13 from 5-6 pm at the admin building. If you are interested, please email Dr. Birch.
The Homeroom committee met this past week. We will be sharing information at the faculty meeting and gathering more feedback soon related to options for next year.
TESTING SCHEDULE UPDATE
The EOC window is as follows:
Bio, Gov't, Alg 2: 4/16-24
Eng 2, Alg 1: 4/30-5/8
The ACT will be on 4/24, with ACT accommodations going from 4/24-5/1
2017-2018 Staff Commitments to the Learning Environment
In order to improve the climate/environment at FHN, the staff commits to:
1. building positive relationships with students and staff members.
2. helping students to see the relationship between effort and success.
3. addressing any inappropriate behavior immediately to help set an expectation of appropriate hallway and classroom behavior.
4. giving clear and consistent expectations for device use and by enforcing them.
5. counting tardies consistently.