Irons Jr. High Newsletter
We Are Hawks!
Start of School 8/11/21!!
We are excited to welcome students back to Irons on Wednesday, August 11th! Our goal is to provide the safest learning environment for our students and staff. With the rise of COVID-19 cases in our community, we continue to encourage hand washing and staying home when sick. Wearing a mask or face covering, while optional, is also encouraged. These measures helped keep our school open last year, and we are confident they can help slow the spread this year.
Masks are encouraged but will continue to be optional for all students and staff. For more information, please see our Roadmap to Remaining Open information at https://www.conroeisd.net/roadmap-to-reopening/
I hope everyone is having a great week. For those that were able to attend Irons schedule pick day last week, your child's schedule will be available in Parent Access Center on Monday, August 9th., I hope you enjoyed touring the building and seeing friends.
On the first day of school, August 11th, the building will open to students at 7:45. We ask that parents refrain from walking students to class. We will have staff available to assist all students in navigating the build. As students arrive on campus, all students will get a new schedule printed on colored paper. The counselors are still working to ensure that the master schedule is perfect and that class sizes are as balanced as possible. Ninety-nine percent of schedules will remain the same. Students will pick up the new colored schedule in the cafeteria and report to first-period class.
Students will then attend all seven class periods on a modified bell schedule. That will allow time for students to review aspects of the student code of conduct, classroom expectations, how they are going home the first day, how lunch procedures will work, and getting to know you activities. We will ask all students how they will be going home on the first day; bus, car rider, or walker, throughout the day. Please remind your student of how they are going home the first day.
I also encourage you to log in to parent access, look up your child's bus number and pick-up and drop-off times, and then review that information with your child.
You can locate bus information on the CISD website at https://www.conroeisd.net/parents/back-to-school/
If you prepurchased school supplies and could not pick them up on schedule pick-up day, we will distribute them to your child Wednesday.
Please remember that traffic will be very slow the first week or two of school as we all return to school routines. You could expect buses to run late in the afternoon for the first week or so of school. Please be patient as transportation adjusts to traffic patterns in the area.
Our staff has had an exciting week of Professional Learning related to our campus goal of Learning Recovery. Our team attended professional learning in high-quality instruction, building a safe and collaborative culture, effective communication, and small group intervention. We are excited to implement a new intervention and enrichment time within the school day called Hawks Nest. While in Hawks Nest, students will participate in Reading for a Better Life, homework completion, choice boards, and character development lessons each week. We will have Friday gameday to give students brain breaks from the rigors of school by allowing them to play card games and board games such as Uno and connect four.
A great way to support Irons Jr. High would be to donate new or used games to your child's Hawks Nest teacher.
Students not playing a sport will be allowed to attend games to cheer on their friends this year. To encourage students to do their best and show that classwork and grades are important, any student who would like to attend a game as a fan must pass all their classes and have good discipline when purchasing a ticket. Students will buy a wristband, which will act as their ticket, on the day of the game during lunch. Siblings of players may attend with a parent without purchasing a wristband. Student tickets prices will be $1, and adult tickets prices will be $2 this year.
This year we will only allow deliveries from parents and family members. We can not accept food deliveries from food delivery companies such as Uber Eats, Grubhub, etc.
Open House is scheduled for Wednesday, August 18th, 6:00-8:00. Open House will be a come-and-go event to meet teachers and view classrooms. We are monitoring COVID spread in the community to determine if this event can occur at this time or in this format.
I am looking forward to an exciting, safe, and successful school year! I am ready to see all of our students back on campus next Wednesday!!
Irons Jr. High Principal
We Are Hawks!
Car Rider Information
- Please pull forward to the car in front of you
- Only pick up students in the pick-up zone
- Do not park and have students walk to the parking lot for pick up
- Please be patient as everyone learns the pick-up procedures
- We load about 350 cars in 20 minutes
Irons Jr. High Dress Code
- Clothing must cover areas and undergarments from one armpit across to the other armpit, down to approximately the middle of the thigh. Tops must have at least 1 1/2" straps. Cleavage should not be visible. Rips or tears in clothing should be lower than the middle of the thigh.
- Tops exposing midriffs, back area or cleavage is prohibited.
- Boxer shorts or pajamas are not allowed.
- Skirts and dresses must mid-thigh length.
- Shoes must be worn at all times and should be safe for the school environment (house shoes or slippers shall not be worn).
- See-through or mesh garments must not be worn without appropriate coverage underneath that meet the minimum requirements of the dress code.
- Headgear including hats, hoodies, bandanas, head scarves, skull caps, do-rags, beanies, hair bonnets, and caps are not allowed unless permitted for religious, medical, or other reasons approved by school administration.
- Clothing may not depict, imply, advertise, or advocate illegal, violent, or lewd conduct, weapons, or the use of alcohol, tobacco, marijuana or other controlled substances.
- Clothing may not display or imply vulgar, discriminatory, or obscene language or images.
- Sunglasses may not be worn inside the building.
- Clothing and accessories that endanger student or staff safety may not be worn.
If the parents are unable to bring a change of clothes for the student, we may:
- Ask the student to change into their PE shorts/shirt.
- Ask them if they have a change of clothes in their backpack/locker.
- Provide them with a clean loaner set of PE clothes.
If you will need bus transportation and have not signed up in the past please do so as soon as possible.
Did you know?
- That when you sign up for free and reduced lunch every year that you not only support your family with a needed benefit, but Irons Jr. High also receives increased funding for the school year. That extra funding is purely based on the number of students who receive service. You are helping your family and Irons Jr. High by completing the application every year. Please do not miss out on these available benefits.
- Applications may be completed on-line at https://www.myschoolapps.com/
- Complete one application per household. Eligibility is based on family income and size, or if the family has a SNAP or TANF number. The guidelines are located on the Free and Reduced Application.
- Parents will be notified if the students are eligible for Free/Reduced Meals.
- Students who participated in the Free/Reduced program during the previous year in Conroe ISD may continue to eat at the same Free/Reduced status for the first 30 days of school. When a new application is completed before the 30-grace period ends, the new status overrides last year’s status.
- Applications may take up to 10 days to process.
- Foster children are eligible for Free meals. Please contact our office with student information for faster processing or fill out an online application.
- Parents must pay for student’s meal until the lunch application is processed.
- You, your children or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply.
- All student financial information is kept confidential in the Child Nutrition Office.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT NAZIA NIZAM (936) 709-8197 or email@example.com
Please do not miss out on this benefit, complete your application before your child loses benefits on September 17, 2021
8/11 First Day of School
8/16 First Day of Before or After School Football Practice
8/16-8/19 Volleyball Tryouts
8/16-8/27 Book Fair
8/18 Irons Open House
8/23 Cross Country Tryouts
8/26 School Picture Day
8/31 First Football Game
9/2 First Volleyball Game
9/6 Labor Day
School Cash Online
Paying school fees online is fast and easy and can be done from any computer or smartphone. Getting setup up is three simple steps:
1. Create Your Profile: Go to www.conroeisd.schoolcashonline.com and click on “Get Started Today”.
2. Confirm Your Email: Check your inbox for the email confirmation and click on the link inside. Sign in with your new login details.
3. Add a Student: Click “Add Student” and fill in the required fields with your child’s details.
The PTO at Irons Jr. High is looking for parent volunteers and board members for the 21-22 school year. Almost all board positions are still available if you are interested. Also, throughout the year, there are fun activities and opportunities to help. If you are interested in helping out, please let us know how you can help. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ways to donate:
Sign up as a Board Member - email@example.com
To be notified of various opportunities throughout the year - Remind101 text- @ironspto to 81010
Gifts of Green:
Venmo (coming soon)
AmazonSmile, donate to Irons Junior High PTO. You have to go to AmazonSmile before making purchases.
Please print, complete form and return to Irons Jr. High in the summer or at schedule pick up day.
Incoming 7th Grade Immunizations
Parents just a reminder that Tdap (Tetanus/Diptheria/Pertussis) and Meningococcal are required BEFORE the first day of school, August 11, 2021, as well as any other immunizations not in compliance with state law. The Department of State Health Services is not waiving the immunization requirements due to Covid-19.
If your child has received these immunizations and you have not sent a copy of your vaccine record to the school, please forward your student's updated record via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (936) 709-8599.
If you wish to receive an exemption for immunizations, please request the form online at https://www.dshs.texas.gov/immunize/school/exemptions.aspx . The form must be notarized and the original kept here in your student's health file.
Students must have an updated vaccine record on file with Irons to receive a schedule on the summer schedule pick-up day.
Enjoy your summer and stay well!
Leslie Marcelissen, RN