News from 4th Grade
3rd week of 4th grade completed successfully!
News at a glance:
- Thank you to all the parents who attended back to school night!
- Our Donors Choose project to have Science Magazines during reading instruction was successfully funded!! Whoo-ho!!! Thank you SO much to everyone who donated or spread the word.
- We are finding that music/noise playing during independent computer time is very distracting. Please send a pair of headphones from home (can even be purchased at the dollar store) for your student to keep in their pencil box if you're able to
- Math Place Value Test will be on Tuesday and multiplication facts quiz will be on Wednesday.
- Journey's quizzes on spelling, comprehension, grammar and vocab will be this week on Tuesday
- P.E. is on Wednesday
What We're Learning This Week....
Journeys through Wednesday 9/21
Vocab: injustic, numerous, segregation, injustice, nourishing, captured, dream, encounters, preferred, recalled, example
Spelling word (focus on long e vs. short e sound): west, steep, member, gleam, fresh, freedom, speed, beast, believe, speck, kept, cheap, pretend, greed shelf, least, eager, reason
Grammar: 4 types of sentences: interrogative, exclamatory, declarative, imperative
Writing: Narrative Writing
Journey's Next Cycle (Starting Thursday 9/22)
Vocab: isolated, virtual, devour, remote, impassable, access, remote, preserve, extreme, avid
Spelling word (focus on long i vs. short i sound): skill, crime, grind, tonight, brick, flight, live, chill, delight, build, ditch, decide, witness, wind, district, inch, sigh, fright, remind, sprint
Writing: Narrative Writing: Dialogue
We've been working on Place Value to the hundred millions place in math. This included identifying and showing the standard, expanded and word form of a number to the hundred millions place and the value of each digit in those numbers. We will have our test on this unit on Tuesday.
- What is the value of the digit 5 in 432,653,209?
- Write the number 103,420,984 in standard form, expanded form and written form.
- In the number 770 the digit 7 in the hundreds place is _____ times the value of the 7 in the tens place.
- What is the difference between 3,450 and 3,950 (without subtracting and analyzing the place value alone).
Next Unit: Rounding
We will learn and practice rounding number to the 1,000,000 place value. Student began learning rounding in 3rd grade so we will be building on this skill. This is a very short unit.
- Round the number 4,568,700 to the nearest one millions place.
- Which number is 4,560 if correctly rounded to the nearest tens place: 4,554 4,561 5,641 4,565?
This week a letter went home in the students' take home folders explaining how their math minute grades are calculated. Facts will go home on Day 1 in the take home folder, they are printed in flash card format so they can be studied at home! Quizzes will be taken on Day 5. We will do a practice quiz on Monday so they can see how it works. This week, the 0, 1, and 2 facts will be on the quiz. Each week is cumulative so be sure to review facts if need be!
View the details of the project here: