3L Weekly News
Week Ending May 29, 2015
2015 Central School Spirit Week
- Monday – Haddonfield Day! *Wear your Haddonfield gear to school!
- Tuesday – Sports Day
- Wednesday – Crazy Hair Day
- Thursday – Hawaiian Day
- Friday – Color Day
All grades wear their assigned color:
Kindergarten – Green
First Grade – Yellow
Second – Red
Third – Neon
Fourth – Blue
Fifth – Fifth Grade Class t-shirts
This week in...
Reading: we wrapped up our activities with Two Bad Ants. Students completed Digging Deep questions incorporating textual details to answer questions. They also took a comprehension assessment on the reading.
Shelebration: We continued preparing for Shelebration. This week we learned the dance moves and song we'll sing at the beginning and end of the presentation. I'm sure the kids have been coming home singing it. :-) We also spent time practicing our group, partner, and individual poems. Students should be thinking of props and should be creating props for their poems. The props are due on Wednesday June 10th. Be sure to mark your calendar for our presentation on Friday, June 12 @ 2:00.
Math: we completed a practice test, completed stations to review concepts from Unit 10, and took the unit 10 Assessment.
Writing: This week we spent more time individually writing our fairy tales. Students learned that writers make significant revisions as they draft. This means that writers revise as they write, they don't wait until their finished a story to revise. Additionaly, students continued to review other authors’ writing as mentor text.
Social Studies: we learned more about the history of Haddonfield. We had a lovely time learning about life in the 1700s!
Science: we learned more about each specific planet by completing a webquest. We will be using this information and the information from the Planetarium to create a Prezi Presentation.
Cursive: we reviewed how to tow the letters m and n. Additionally, we reviewed all the letters we've learned so far.
Friday, June 12th, 2pm
Room 216 Central Elementary School, Haddonfield, NJ, United States
Check This Out!
1. Matty C & Destination Imagination
- The Haddonfield Patch wrote an article about Matty and other students from Haddonfield who were ambassadors. "Destination Imagination is the largest celebration of creativity." The link to the patch article can be found below.
2. Philadelphia Museum of Art comes to Haddonfield
- From May to August, replicas of famous art will be in Haddonfield. Check out the links below for more information. It would be a great way to spend an afternoon!
- I have recently started tweeting on Twitter! You can find our pictures via #centralschoolpride, @mlipski1, or @CentralES1 (Mrs. Simkus' Central page)
4. Moby Max: This is a great enrichment tool for Math and Language Arts.
5. Typing Agent: **This is a GREAT tool to help your child with his/her typing skills!
- It is important that students are studying their multiplication facts each night. It not only helps build good study habits, but also builds stamina and quick recall! While it is great students are using strategies such as repeated addition and drawing pictures, these facts must be known by heart. Students can check out my eBoard for additional practice with this skill.
- Please continue to assist your child in packing up all homework in order to ensure it comes back to school. A great strategy is to have your child check off each assignment after it is completed and placed back in his/her Take Home Folder.
Important Dates for 3L
Happy Birthday to:
- Owen, Sean, Mia, Megan, Kiley, Matthew D, and Daniel. They will be celebrating their summer birthdays, with our class, in June.
- Please check our eBoard and contact me if your child would like to celebrate his/her birthday in school.
Poet of the Week:
- Holden: Friday, June 12th
- Matthew D: Tuesday, June 16th
- Poems must be submitted for teacher approval before a student presents!!
Star of the Week:
- Kiley: Monday, June 8th
- *Posters will come home one week before your child's scheduled date.
- Beth Moscatelli: Thursday, June 11th at 8:40
- Angela D'Amato: Monday, June 15th at 10:30
- Schedule is attached to my eBoard under Guest Read Aloud
*Click the link below to my eBoard for additional details!
June 8-12 Spirit Week
June 11 5th Grade Remembrance 6:00 pm APR
June 12 Awards Assembly
June 12 Shelebration
June 12 Spring Social
June 17 Field Day
June 17 5th Grade Swim Party (Rain Day June 18)
June 17-19 Half Days for Students 12:30 Dismissal
June 19 Last Day of the 14-15 School Year
None at this time.
Specials This Week:
Monday is a Day 4:
- Spanish and Strings
Tuesday is a Day 5:
Wednesday is a Day 6:
Thursday is a Day 1:
- Spanish and Music
Friday is a Day 2:
- Gym and Library
A Word from Third
None at this time.