L.O. Donald Staff Newsletter
Habits of Discussion - Learning to Share
A conversation is like a soccer game: it's hard to move up the field
if your team doesn't know how to pass the ball.
To fully participate in school and maximize their learning, our students need to be able to share their thoughts, ideas, and opinions. Mastering the four "Learning to Share" discussion habits is critical to their success.
1. Listen (& talk only in turn)
- Students look at the speaker, put their hands down, and do not interrupt.
- The teacher signals hands down and models eye contact.
2. Speak Audibly
- Students speak loud enough to be heard clearly.
- The teacher prompts: "Loud and proud."
3. Speak in Complete Sentences
- Students restate the question in the response.
- No incomplete sentences.
- The teacher uses non-verbal "stretch-it-out" signal.
4. Interact Peer to Peer
- Students look at everyone when answering - not just the teacher.
- The teacher signals by pointing to eyes then to rest of group.
The ability to discuss your thoughts and ideas is necessary in every content. Reflect on where you students are in mastering these skills. Have they mastered all four? Do they speak in complete sentences 100% of the time? What are your expectations for classroom discussion?
Thank you for you commitment to your students' long-term success! You are the difference-makers!
Habits of Discussion: Implementation Guide
Monday, February 1, 2016
- 9:00-12:00 TELPAS Test Coordinator Training - V. Davis
- 9:30-12:00 DTR Observation - K. Carter
- 3:15-4:30 PD: Suicide Prevention & Bucket-Fillers in library - All teachers
Tuesday, February 2, 2016
- 8:30-11:00 DTR Observation - K. Carter
- 1:00-2:00 Attendance for Credit - Binder Review - V. Davis, M. Sanchez & S. McGowan
Wednesday, February 3, 2016
- 11:30-3:00 Volunteer Partnership training - S. Ortiz
- 3:30-4:00 Staff ZUMBA! in the gym
Thursday, February 4, 2016
- 9:00-12:00 Kimball FP Principals' meeting at Kimball HS - K. Carter
- 8:50-9:40 PLC Lesson Plan Feedback - 2nd grade
- 9:45-10:35 PLC Lesson Plan Feedback - Kindergarten
- 10:40-11:30 PLC Lesson Plan Feedback - 1st grade
- 12:05-12:55 PLC Lesson Plan Feedback - 3rd grade
- 1:00-1:50 PLC Lesson Plan Feedback - 4th grade
- 1:55-2:45 PLC Lesson Plan Feedback - 5th grade
- 2:30-4:30 ESL Tutoring Grant training at H.B. Bell bldg - K. Carter
- 3:15-4:00 After-School Tutoring
- 3:15-4:45 Girls Scouts in the auditorium
Friday, February 5, 2016
- Parent Lunch - Extended lunch schedule
Saturday, January 30, 2016
- Saturday School
- 2/2 Practice STAAR & Common Assessments - Reading
- 2/3 Practice STAAR & Common Assessments - Math
- 2/4 Practice STAAR - Writing & Science
- 2/4 Brighter Bites
- 2/4 PTA or PTO? Parent Meeting
- 2/5 100 Days of School!
- 2/5 DDI 3rd-5th grades
Scholastic Dollar Days Warehouse Sale
February 3-5 : 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and Saturday, February 6: 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
3470 South Watson Road, Arlington, TX
L.O. Donald 2015-16 Goals
- 80% of students will meet the passing standard on STAAR reading/math in grades 3-5.
- 70% of students will meet the passing standard on STAAR writing in grade 4.
- 85% of students will meet the passing standard on STAAR science in grade 5.
- 80% of students will perform on or above grade level on the Iowa/Logramos K-2
L.O. Donald 2015-16 Campus Priorities
- Improve academic achievement through data-driven and small group instruction.
- Build a strong, achievement-oriented campus culture.
- Improve parent involvement and school-community relationships.