LABEL GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOODS
By, Lily Robb and Shannon Spies 4B
BENEFITS OF GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOODS
- As far as scientists know, no one has ever been harmed by a genetically modified foo.
- Can mutate plants into plants with genetically modified traits, making them desirable.
- Growing genetically modified foods can help eliminate the application of chemical pesticides and reduce the cost of bringing a crop to the market.
- Can be modified go resist plant infections, diseases, or a specific temperature climate that may damage the crops, such as the cold weather.
- Can be used to add more nutrients to food.
RISKS OF GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOODS
- Foods that are genetically altered can involve risks of unknown toxins and allergens never before seen in humans.
- Food grown from GM seeds can affect surrounding weeds, causing mutations and newfound immunity to pesticides, thus creating the need for more chemicals to be used to treat the weeds and effecting the plants.
- Unknown genetic effect on humans.
- Higher fat content in some foods.
- Can create insect resistance.
Label these genetically modified foods!! People should be aware of what they are ingesting and the risks they are taking by eating these foods. They have a right to know what they are eating and the benefits and risks of them before they decide if they want to eat them just like they have a right to know how many calories or grams of sugar are in a food.
GMO Risks." GMO Awareness. N.p., n.d. Web. 7 Mar. 2013.
Top 10 Dangers of Genetically Modified Food." Invigorate360. N.p., 2 Apr. 2009. Web. 7 Mar. 2013.
Whitman, Deborah B., ed. CSA. ProQuest, Apr. 2000. Web. 7 Mar. 2013.