GAVS Physics AB Course Resources
Module 4: Newton's Laws of Motion
ASSIGNMENT RESOURCES AND TIPS
LAB: Newton's Second Law of Motion
- The lab handout can be found on page 4 of the content.
- I walk you through the lab in this video: https://youtu.be/jr-lh2RAK6M
- You can view the lab rubric in the lab's dropbox folder. Following the rubric is the BEST WAY to make sure that you earn full points on your lab.
- If the lab has a short answer problem that makes you do math, you MUST show your work in order to earn full credit.
Q: I'm having trouble getting the site to work. What should I do?
A: If your computer has issues with accessing the Phet activities you MUST get this straightened out in order to submit the work, and these labs are required with no alternative assignments available. Unfortunately, this is not something that I am able to help with, but a problem that you will need to find a solution to. If you wait until the day the assignment is due to try to access the site and you have problems, you will not be able to get the assignment submitted on time, so it is important that you access this site ahead of time so that you'll either know you don't have problems, or you will have time to get the problems fixed before the assignment is due. Being able to access this site and the activities there is a requirement of the course and it is your responsibility to make sure that you have access. This the help site for Phet: https://phet.colorado.edu/en/help-center/running-sims. This is a blog post that a parent shared with me. The information here enabled her son to solve his computer's problems: https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2016/12/14/edge-flash-click-run/
QUIZ: Newton's First and Second Laws
DISCUSSION: When Have I Applied A Force?
- Make sure you answer ALL questions in the prompt AND respond to two classmates.
- You will only earn a maximum of 70% if you do not thoughtfully respond to two classmates.
QUIZ: Free Body Diagrams and Newton's 3rd Law
- Make sure you do the practice problems before you take the quiz. The free body diagram practice problems and solutions are on page 5 of the content. The Newton's 3rd Law practice problems and solutions are on page 6 of the content.
- If the quiz has a short answer problem that makes you do math, you MUST show your work in order to earn full credit.
TEST: Newton's Laws of Motion
- A great way to study for the test is to go back and look at the quiz questions you missed.
- If the quiz has a short answer problem that makes you do math, you MUST show your work in order to earn full credit. What does showing your work look like? Read this!
- After you finish your test, be sure to review what you missed, and look for the News announcement outlining test correction procedures.