HIV & Aids in Africa
What are HIV & Aids?
HIV stands for: human immune deficiency syndrome
Aids stands for: acquired immune deficiency syndrome
There are many ways to be infected, such as doing any of the following with an infected person: sexual contact, sharing needles, transfusions of blood, or if the mother is infected.
Some Statistics about HIV/Aids in Africa
- Out of the 34 million people in the world that have HIV, about 70% are from Africa
- 91% of the children 15 years and under that have HIV are from Africa
- More than 1 million adults and children die every year from HIV/Aids
- Less than 10% of kids in need of treatment in Africa are receiving treatment
- Around 6,800 new HIV infections occur daily worldwide
- The prevalance (commoness) of HIV and Aids is highest in Southern Africa, as you can see from the map below