WACHUSETT WELLNESS NEWSLETTER
Helping students adopt and maintain healthy behaviors is at the core of our school counseling program. To have healthy behaviors students must first start with education and awareness. We have decided to start a monthly wellness newsletter to give students the start they need!
Theme of the Month: GRATITUDE
"Life is short, smile while you still have teeth." - Unknown
"A warm smile is the universal language of kindness." - William Arthur Ward
DID YOU KNOW?
The first Friday in October is nationally recognized as: WORLD SMILE DAY
The iconic yellow smiley face was invented in Worcester in 1963 by Harvey Ball, a local commercial artist. That yellow smiley face is known worldwide as spreading good will and good cheer and it was invented not far from WRHS!
Even though WORLD SMILE DAY has already happened, let's try to be the reason someone smiles today and throughout October!
With all that's going on around us, no matter where you are or the circumstances...you can always share a smile :)
What are the Benefits of Smiling?
2. Lowers blood pressure
3. Relieves stress
4. Forms connections with others
5. Boosts immune system
6. Relieves pain
7. Increases life expectancy
For more information on WORLD SMILE DAY, go to http://www.worldsmileday.com/
Mountaineer Challenge of the Month: Complete an Act of Kindness in October
"Do an act of kindness. Help one person smile!"
Follow the mission of Harvey Ball and World Smile Day and try some of the activities listed below:
- Write a letter or send a card to somebody you are grateful for.
- Make someone smile by giving them a meaningful compliment.
- Go on a social media compliment spree.
- Go for a walk around your neighborhood and collect trash.
- Leave a kind note for your mail carrier or delivery driver.
- Say thank you to an essential front-line worker.
- Pay for the coffee of the person behind you.
- Support a local small business.
- Go through your closet and see if you have any clothes to donate.
- Donate your old toys to a local shelter.
- Rake a neighbor's leaves.
- Reach out to some old friends to check in on them.
- Call an elderly relative just to say hi.
- Paint kindness rocks and leave them around your neighborhood.
- Tell your loved ones how much you love them.
- Be kind to yourself!
Did you know that doing an act of kindness can help you feel calmer, less stressed, and be healthier and happier?
Watch this short video for more information on the health benefits of spreading kindness!
Join Mayo Clinic Health System for a four-week, self-guided virtual program to help you improve your mental well-being through daily journaling. Practicing mindful thankfulness is one way to boost your spirits, feel happier and enhance your overall health. In addition to journaling, you are asked to complete at least one act of kindness and take deliberate time to be mindful each day. To get started, just print the gratitude journal. Journal sheets are private and will not be collected.