Scarborough Public Schools
Weekly Newsletter -October 8, 2020
From The Superintendent
You will find the latest message from Superintendent Prince in the box below. In the future, you will also find archived messages from previous weeks in this same box. Please contact the Superintendent's Office at (207) 730-4100 or email@example.com with questions or suggestions.
School Board Happenings
Please join us virtually on October 15 for the next School Board meeting. Links to the agenda and logins for both Zoom and Youtube will be posted on the www.scarboroughschools.org webpage. Because of absentee ballot voting and booths being distanced in the space, no meetings are being held in Town Hall until after the election.
At the October 15, 2020 School Board Meeting, we say a fond farewell to Board member Hillory Durgin. We would like to extend our sincere gratitude to Hillory for her years of service to the Board. One great example is the Spotlight Award that she started to recognize employees across the district. Hillory has been a dedicated advocate for our students and we will miss her compassion and quick wit! We wish her all the best!
As we enter into the fall, our Learning Commons (Libraries) have been working hard to get books into the hands of our students safely. Students are learning how to tag books through our online library software, Destiny. At Wentworth alone we have circulated approximately 2,800 books in the month of September! While we want students to have and read lots of books, we also want them back when students are finished reading them. Please know that books can be returned to any school any time. We process them so that they can safely be accessed by the next interested reader.
Along the lines of reading, a wonderful opportunity has surfaced this year where we have several of our 4th grade classes engaging in a Global Read Aloud with our Librarian, Ms. Lenehan. Students engage in a read aloud and then connect with students around the world in book discussions. This year's book is Indian No More by Charlene Willing Mcmanis and Traci Sorell, which aligns with the upcoming Indigenous Peoples Day on Monday, Oct.12.
Upcoming SPS Events - Mark Your Calendar!
- October 12 - No School - Indigenous People's Day
- October 14 at 6:00 p.m. - Wentworth School Virtual Open House
- October 15 at 6:00 p.m. - School Board Virtual Workshop
- October 15 at 7:00 p.m. - School Board Virtual Meeting
- Thanks to a federal waiver, all Scarborough students can access free breakfast and lunch each day until December 31, 2020, even on remote learning days? Our amazing Food Service staff can prepare food packs for the days your child is learning at home. To place all of your orders, go to https://scarboroughschools.nutrislice.com . You can also reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you need support in having your meal pack delivered.
- Per the Governor's Order, face coverings (cloth facemasks) must be worn in all publicly accessible areas of schools and everywhere on school grounds (parking lots, playgrounds, walkways, entryways, etc.) This is true for students and staff, and also applies to any other visitors as well. We appreciate everyone's support in following these directives.
Health & Safety
Please make sure you review the required Student Health Self Assessment questions EVERY DAY before sending your child off to school.
TOGETHER, we can make our schools as safe as possible!
Links to Our Schools
Services & Information
Transportation | Sarah Redmond, email@example.com