A weekly update from campus...
September 23, 2016
Book Fair & College Week -- Thank you!!
New Friday Tradition at Norris!
Student Showcase Nights
We will have four Student Showcase nights at Norris this year, where students can show off their talents. The Showcase nights include:
- Music and Singing – October 13, 2016
- Art and Poetry – January 19, 2017
- Dance – March 30, 2017
- Athletic Abilities – June 1, 2017
Since we want to showcase as many students as possible, please have your child select one night. All Student Showcase acts must follow the Student Code of Conduct. It is the parent's responsibility to ensure each act is school appropriate. Costumes must meet the student dress code.
Below is the link to the Showcase Night form to sign up if your child is interested in showcasing their special talent. This form will close on Friday, September 30th.
September 27: Master Builders; 2:55-3:45 pm
September 28: Jump Rope Club; 1st & 2nd grade; 7:15 am
September 29: Watch D.O.G.S. Kickoff Event; 6:30 pm
September 30: Jump Rope Club; 3rd-5th grade; 7:15 am
October 3-7: PTA Box Tops Collection Week
October 4: Walk to School Day
- 1st grade Safety Town - Vandercook & Berkheiser classes
October 5: Jump Rope Club; 1st & 2nd grade; 7:15 am
- 1st grade Safety Town - Stroud & Hollis classes
- New to Frisco ISD Orientation; 7:00 pm @ FISD Administration Building
October 6: 1st grade Safety Town - Fine & Brommer classes
October 7: Staff Development Day -- NO SCHOOL for students
October 10: Columbus Day -- NO SCHOOL
October 11: Kids Count Players Performance; Kindergarten-2nd grade
October 12: Jump Rope Club; 1st & 2nd grade; 7:15 am
- Big Orange Pumpkin Patch Field Trip; Kindergarten
October 13: Coffee With Counselors: Protective Parent Program (goes with the Kids Count Players program for K-2nd grade); 8:00 am @ Norris Library
- Student Showcase Night: Music & Singing; 6:30 pm @ Norris Cafeteria
October 14: Jump Rope Club; 3rd-5th grade; 7:15 am
- Storytelling Field Day; 4th grade
October 17-21: National School Lunch Week
October 19: Elm Fork Field Trip; 4th grade
- Dinosaur George Event; all grades during specials
- Dinosaur George Family Night; 5:00-7:00 pm @ Norris Gym
October 21: Jump Rope Club; 3rd-5th grade; 7:15 am
- PTA Spirit Stick Sales at recess
- Frisco Fires Clowns Assembly (This will replace our regular Norris Now, and will be earlier in the day)
October 24-28: Red Ribbon Week
October 25: Master Builders; after school
October 26: Picture Retake Day
- Jump Rope Club; 1st & 2nd grade; 7:15 am
- Opera Field Trip; 3rd grade
- Illustrator Visit: AG Ford; all grades; school hours
October 28: Jump Rope Club; 3rd-5th grade; 7:15 am
- PTA Fun Run; during specials
This year’s college and career week was a great success! All grade levels explored Paws in Job land to find out more about careers and career pathways they are interested in. Your child might be interested in more than one career or pathway.
- Encourage your child to explore their interests and find the “why” behind their spark.
- Observe the toys/activities your child is interested in. This can help to identify where a child’s passion is located. Again, encourage why they like the toys and go from there.
Students chosen by staff who demonstrated college and career readiness were given “tickets to success” as recognition. Rewards were generously donated to our school from various colleges and alumni associations.
- Contact your alumni association(s) and request small items for us to reward our students with. Examples of items we had this year included: pencils, pens, book marks, cups, bags, color pages, stickers, pennants, note pads, lanyards, posters and other elementary appropriate items. Most colleges will follow through when it is mailed to the school directly.
The college and career readiness continued in our Character lab meetings. Students learned about S.M.A.R.T (Specific, Measurable, Action, Realistic, and Timely) goals and started thinking of goals they would like to set.
- Set SMART goals as a family! Don’t be afraid to re-evaluate if needed. As always, CELEBRATE when the goal is accomplished!
The students really enjoyed seeing where our Norris staff members went to college. We will have the college graph and teacher facts in the hallway on display for a few more weeks. Take a look!
BOX TOPS: Continue collecting box tops! The first collection week will be here before we know it.
To stay up to date on all PTA events and important information, like us on Facebook @NorrisPTA, and check out our website: www.norrispta.org. We can also be followed on Twitter @NorrisPTAFrisco
Library Volunteers Needed!
Bookmark contest from Frisco Public Library
How to Pay for College Forum
The forum will be held on October 3, 2016 from 7:00 - 8:00 PM. Please follow the link below for more information.