JMS Weekly Update
November 21, 2021
Dear JMS Families,
We want to wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving. We hope that you enjoy this holiday break safely.
This week's Update contains information about the following:
- JMS Handbook Review - Focus on Response to Student Misconduct
- 12:00 Dismissal Bell Schedule - Wednesday
- Pre-Approved Absence Form
- PTA Updates - Check out the PTA Section
Please continue to let our nurse, Mrs. Suess, know if anyone in your family is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms. We want to keep the children here and we want to keep them safe. This information is critical to the safety of the students and staff at JMS.
Dr. Sarah Shaw, Principal
Ms. Katelyn Deet, Assistant Principal
Tuesday - Day 3
Wednesday - Day 4 - 12:00 Dismissal
Thursday - Thanksgiving Break
Friday - Thanksgiving Break
Monday (11/29) - Day 5
Please review a few items in the handbook relating to behavior that we have been seeing lately. We are asking that you review the Response to Student Misconduct on pages 38-40 with your child.
Following our last swastika incident, we have had a very increased focus on behavior around the building. When reviewing the Response to Student Misconduct with your child, please focus specifically on the following areas:
- Unsafe Behavior (horseplay, projectiles, etc.)
- Defacement/Vandalism of Personal/School Property
- Use of Electronic Devices (Cell Phones)
- Threats/Verbal/Written Gestures
Unsafe Behavior - Horseplay
Students are to keep their hands to themselves. They are not permitted to push each other in the hallway.
Students are not permitted to write on desks, bathroom stalls, walls, etc.
Cell phones are not permitted to be used during the day. They are to be kept in a backpack or a locker. They are not to be in pockets. Cell phones are not permitted in restrooms or locker rooms.
All students will be dismissed at 12:00 on Wednesday. We will be following the 12:00 Dismissal Bell Schedule.
Holiday Travel - Pre-Approved Absences
If you are planning to travel for the holidays and will be missing school, please complete a Pre-Approved Absence Form.
If you would like to order school pictures please follow the directions below;
- Visit Wayne's World of Photography.
- Click on "JMS."
- Enter your student's MTLSD 7 digit ID number. (This number can be found on dashboard in the Student Information section.).
- Click on "Order Prints/Products.
- Complete your purchase online.
JMS Yearbooks are on sale now through January 14, 2022. 8th Grade Advertisements are also for sale from now until January 14 for $35.
- Monday, November 1 at 12:00 AM- Tuesday, November 30 at 11:59 PM: $50
- Wednesday, December 1 at 12:00 AM- Friday, December 31 at 11:59 PM: $55
- Saturday, January 1 at 12:00 AM- Friday, January 14 at 11:59 PM: $60
Limited extras will be sold on the last day of school for $60
Order your yearbook and take out an 8th grade ad TODAY! yearbookforever.com
As we prepare to start the 2021-2022 school year, we are asking families who need to borrow student technology to please complete the form linked below:
Be sure to list every student for whom you need to borrow a device on this form. Once you have submitted your form, you will receive status emails including device pickup details from an @mtlsd.net email address. Please also be sure to whitelist @mtlsd.net email addresses with your email provider to ensure that you receive these communications from us.
Please direct any and all questions regarding loaned equipment to our support address: RemoteSupport@mtlsd.net
Middle School Athletics
You can learn everything you need to know about Middle School Athletics, including starting dates, by visiting the MS Athletics Webpage.
JMS PTA Information
Reflections Arts in Education
Congratulations to Maddie Sacco, Paridhi Ganeriwal, and Aaisha Ansari whose entries will go on to represent JMS at the Mt Lebanon Council PTA level.
The purpose of the nominating committee is to prepare the slate of candidates for the annual unit officer elections in March. Any PTA member interested in serving on the Nominating Committee please email email@example.com.
A huge thank you to Marisa Hupe and Debbie Klein for organizing the take home goodies for the 6th grade students.
Several e-mail and text scams have recently hit phones and inboxes of PTA chairs and officers. Note that the JMS PTA currently does not use texting as a method of formal communication. E-mail blasts through Membership Toolkit and/or Principal blasts are our primary methods of electronic communications. If you are ever unsure of the legitimacy of a request, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm.
The JMS PTA Membership Drive is now open! Parent membership in the PTA helps us meet volunteer needs and budgetary commitments which enrich programs for our JMS students and staff. Members receive access to a member directory which has a mobile app.
Go to My Account.
- Check that your updated student info is correct. Indicate your child's team.
- Indicate your preferences for inclusion in the directory. Add a second contact so that both receive directory access and all PTA correspondences. Student phone is optional.
- Purchase a parent membership for $20
- Consider a donation. Donated funds stay 100% with JMS programs without fees. We encourage this rather than purchasing a membership for both parents, unless both parents wish to vote in meetings or hold PTA office.
JOIN US! Together we can do a lot of good for JMS!
SHOPPER & SCHOOL REWARD PROGRAMS
If you haven’t used AmazonSmile Before:
- Go to smile.amazon.com and sign in with your regular Amazon username and password.
- You will be prompted to choose a charity. You should enter "Jefferson Middle School PTA Inc” into the search box that appears. It will say "Pittsburgh, PA" as the location for the charity.
- Make sure whenever you check out, you always go to smile.amazon.com on your browser.
If you already use AmazonSmile:
- Go to smile.amazon.com and sign in with your username and password
- Make sure the charity you’ve selected is "Jefferson Middle School PTA Inc." This information is located under the search bar where it says “supporting”.
- If it isn’t, you can change it by clicking on the charity and selecting “change”
- This will bring you to a page where you can search for “Jefferson Middle School PTA Inc” and allow you to switch charities.
Make sure whenever you check out, you always go to smile.amazon.com to checkout.
If you shop on the Amazon app. Please activate Amazon Smile on your mobile app by opening the app and finding ’Settings’ in the main menu (☰). Tap on ‘AmazonSmile’ and follow the on-screen instructions to turn on AmazonSmile on your phone.
Scanning Box Tops is an easy way to earn money for our school. See Box Tops for more information on how to scan Box Tops and to download the app. Receipts must be scanned within 14 days for the Box Tops to be scanned electronically.
Office Depot/Office Max
Office Depot/Office Max has a school rewards program. When shopping, remember to ask the cashier to tag Jefferson Middle School. For online orders, enter our school ID (Thomas Jefferson Middle School ID:70088453 Pittsburgh, PA) on the Thank You Confirmation page.
Resources For Families
The following resources provide information to help Mt. Lebanon School District families and staff navigate the complexities of COVID-19 and the impact the pandemic it is having on our daily lives. These resources will be updated as more information becomes available.
The MTLSD School Counselors in partnership with The Allegheny Children's Initiative Inc., have compiled a list of social services resources that may be helpful to you and your family. Please take a look and reach out to these organizations. They are here to help with any of the following:
- Mental Health
- General Assistance
Safe2Say Something is a youth violence prevention program run by the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General. The program teaches youth and adults how to recognize warning signs and signals, especially within social media, from individuals who may be a threat to themselves or others and to “say something” BEFORE it is too late. With Safe2Say Something, it’s easy and confidential to report safety concerns to help prevent violence and tragedies.
Here’s how it works:
- Submit a report through the Safe2SaySomething system
- Crisis center reviews, assesses and processes all submissions
- Crisis center sends all submissions to school administration and/or law enforcement for intervention
- If needed, crisis center may contact tipster anonymously through the app
Jefferson Middle School
The Jefferson Middle School learning community has an exceptional reputation for its dedicated teachers, staff and parents working together to provide learning experiences for our children that include high expectations, a challenging curriculum and a shared commitment to provide the best education possible for each and every student.