Montera Middle School eBulletin
December 6, 2021
(scroll down for more information)
December 6-December 17
- Montera Relief Fund Gift Drive
Monday, December 6
- Girls soccer tryouts, 4:30-5:30 PM
Tuesday, December 7 & Thursday, December 9
- Boys soccer tryouts
Wednesday, December 8
- Los Comales Taqueria fundraiser, 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Thursday, December 9 - Montera Cheer at the Holiday Stroll, 5:30-8:00 PM
Wednesday, December 15 - Winter Teacher Appreciation Day
Thursday, December 16 - Minimum Day
Friday, December 17 - Minimum Day. NO AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAM
December 18-January 2 - Winter break. Happy holidays!
A very special thank you to Ms. Shogbesan and Mr. Worrall for all of their hard work to make our December Winter Concert a huge success! And thank you to Mr. Bell and Ms. Recco for showcasing their students' amazing art! In addition, we are so appreciative of the administration for their support. Finally, we are grateful to Bridget Davies, Candace Johnson, and so many volunteers that helped with logistics, organization, and donations. This event was special in so many ways, especially as it is Montera's first in-person gathering this year!
Thank you! Thank you!
We appreciate your generosity on GivingTuesday!
With your support and donations, we have reached our fundraising goals for the Mini-Grant Program.
Make your tax-deductible gift here: Donate to Montera PTO
Upcoming Events and Activities
Montera Relief Fund & Gift Drive 2021
Once again the Montera PTO and Administration Team are working together to host a Holiday Gift Drive to help Toro families in need. Choose gifts to buy or sign up to contribute money or gift cards here.
We will be collecting gifts, gift cards, and funds through Friday, December 17. Cash donations are needed most (donate through the Relief Fund and we will buy the gifts for you).
Many of the administrators, including Mr. Avent, contribute their own time and efforts to bring cheer to Toro families who need it most. But they can’t do it without all of you. Please help us meet our goal of helping multiple Montera families in need this holiday season. Thank you!
Donate to Montera's Sock Tree
Montera's social skill class is getting into the spirit of giving by creating a “Sock Tree” this holiday season. Please send in new pairs of socks or gloves in any size to hang from our tree.
Socks and gloves will be donated to a local shelter.
For questions, contact Karen Bruin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Winter Teacher Appreciation Day
Winter Break is coming up and it's time to celebrate our Montera teachers and staff.
Let's send them off to Winter Break with warm cheer and appreciation! We're planning a cookie and gift giving celebration on Wednesday 12/15.
We need cookies, fruit, gifts, money and/or your time - we've got the beverages covered.
Click this Sign-up link for details!
With gratitude and thanks-
The Hospitality team
In-person Campus Tours for Prospective Parents -- Volunteers Needed
School options season is upon us. Montera will host virtual information sessions and several in-person tours.
The following in-person tours all begin promptly at 9:30 AM:
- Friday, December 10
- Wednesday, December 15
- Friday, January 7
- Friday, January 21
Sign up to lead or attend tours:
You can now sign up for Lunchtime Duty via this link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0F4BA4A729A1F5C52-lunchtime .
This new sign-up link allows for flexibility if your schedule is different each week.
Thank you to Paris Pryor for setting up the Signup Genius.
20% Back to Montera on Holiday Gift Boxes
Local Food Adventures is extending a 20% donation to Montera Middle School for the remainder of the holiday season! So send favorite flavors of the East Bay to family & friends all over the country!
Local mom and Local Food Adventures founder Lauren McCabe Herpich has put together a collection of foodie gift boxes from local spots like Amphora Lafayette, Rockridge Market Hall, Oaktown Spice Shop, Everett & Jones and more! All boxes include free nationwide shipping and your message in a handwritten greeting card. Order by December 10 for guaranteed shipping in time for Christmas or select local pick-up for any last-minute gifts. Order now using this link to ensure we receive credit, and the 20% donation, for your order: https://bit.ly/LFA_Montera_Holiday
Sports & After-School Activities
Sign Up for Winter 2022 Montera Afterschool Fee-Based Classes
Art, Jazz Band, Wood Shop, Yoga, Dance
Sign up here.
You do not need to register for the afterschool program to attend these classes. However, see details about Yoga and Dance in the sign-up sheet.
Prices have increased for each class because more classes are being offered for Winter.
If you have questions, email Bridget Davies at email@example.com
Hip Hop Dance Class - Sign Up Now!
Montera Afterschool Program is pleased to offer a two-session Hip Hop Dance Class with Destiny Arts Center. Classes will be Tuesday, Dec 7th, and Dec 14th from 3:45-5:15. This will be a trial program and based on student interest we will consider adding this to our Winter/Spring classes.
- This class is limited to 15 students and will take place in the MUR
- There is no fee if you are enrolled in our after-school program. Otherwise, the fee is $20 for both classes.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Payment link is https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=R9NULL2WCHCE4
Destiny teaching artists are supported to engage and partner with classroom teachers so that they can co-create a positive classroom culture and draw connections to classroom curriculum.
COVID Testing Information
A friendly reminder to stay on top of Covid testing as the holidays and yet another potential surge descends upon us.
COVID TESTING: Covid testing is available at multiple OUSD sites throughout Oakland. Find locations and times here.
TESTING PRE-REGISTRATION: Before attending an OUSD Covid testing site for the first time, you must register here. This is a one time only registration and can be done at any time. Families are encouraged to pre-register so they are ready to go should they need to get tested.
Montera Safety Bargaining Team Survey
Ms. Ranahan (7th Grade Math) and Mr. Pettengill (6th Gr. Humanities) have joined the OEA Safety Bargaining Team and are seeking YOUR input into our upcoming negotiating sessions.
Fighting for safety in our schools is going to take all of us working together. Please ensure the bargaining team hears as many voices and perspectives as possible by completing this feedback form: https://tinyurl.com/SeptSafetySurvey
Thank you for your time and consideration!
Volunteering on Campus
Email email@example.com once you are cleared.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Latex free band-aids (NOT with antibiotic medication in it) in assorted sizes. EVERY teacher needs at least one box and the front office and nurse's office also need a supply.
- Tweezers for splinters (not the plastic ones)
- Ice packs for PE and front office
- Vomit bucket for front office and pick up waiting area
- Cleansing wipes
- Assorted pads
- Assorted sizes back-up underwear (S/M/L/full-figured)
Add whatever you can think of... Thank you!
Other Important Montera News and Information
Support Montera All Year Round
If your student is feeling ill
Returning to school:
- Get medically cleared (doctor's note or negative PCR test, AND symptoms have improved and student is fever-free for 24 hours - OR -
- 10 days have passed since onset of symptoms and student is no longer feeling ill
If your student tests positive for Covid-19
- Plan on staying home at least 10 days
- Notify the school of the results
- Work with the Contact Tracing Team
COVID Information from the District
- OUSD is required to report every single positive case to the ACPHD.
- A response team conducts contact tracing for each positive case and notifies families of students with prolonged close contact.
- If you are not notified, then your student was not determined to have prolonged close contact with the person who tested positive, so there is not a need to get tested unless your student develops symptoms.
- Vaccinated students do not need to quarantine as long as they are asymptomatic.
- Unvaccinated students who are asymptomatic can do a modified quarantine, continuing to attend school but testing twice a week for two weeks following exposure and not participating in any extracurricular activities.
- Exposed unvaccinated students may choose to stay home for 10 days with an excused absence. If so, they should contact their teachers for assignments during that time.
Montera Middle School
This eBulletin is produced on a weekly basis by the Montera Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) except on holidays. It sometimes contains paid advertisements. These advertisements do not imply endorsement of any product or service by OUSD or Montera Middle School.
If you have news you'd like to include, please send it to eBulletin@monterapto.com by noon on Sundays. Submissions may be edited for spelling, grammar, brevity and clarity. In addition, while we strive for accuracy, being human sometimes gets in the way. If you spot something so off the mark we should hang our heads in embarrassment, please bring it to our attention. Thanks!
Be Safe. Be Kind. Be Responsible.