Listening Lesson Plan
All About Money
I chose this topic because currency is an important part in every culture.
In Chinese as a foreign language class, we think that it is necessary for students to recognize the value and the unit conversion of Chinese currency. In China, credit card swipers or the cash register are not available in traditional markets and stalls. It is also a tradition for Chinese to use cash in daily life. Therefore, students need to learn how to use paper money, or coins correctly.
Warm-up: Introduction to Bargaining in China
Pre-listening activities (10 min)
1. Vocabulary teaching first. The students need to work in groups to finish the vocabulary worksheet (see appendix 1). Dictionaries and devices can be used in this section.
2. Review the numbers from one to thousand as well as currency unit.
The students will be divided into two groups of ten, each of them will be given a headband with number 零（zero）~九(nine) on it. Then the teacher will give the instructions “这个东西多少钱”(How much is it?),“这个东西___(价格)”(This one is ___(price)),The groups will try to form the number the teacher told.
(NOTE: Errors should be allowed in this activity. Instead of giving immediate feedback by the teacher, it is better to encourage students to help each other this time.)
3.The teacher will show video clip 2 without showing the sounds and transcripts.The students will try to predict what is going on in the video and share their opinions with their friends.
Students need to use the target language to communicate. They need to explain their predictions by giving examples and exchange ideas with their classmates.
After discussion, students need to write down their predictions.
During-listening activities (25 min)
1. Teacher will play video clip 1 twice. During the listening, they need to fill in the blanks in on the Listening Worksheet A (see appendix 2). After listening, they will work in groups of four to compare and finalize their answers.
2.The teach will play the video 2 which has been shown in the pre-listening activity again. This time, the teacher will play the video with sound. During the listening, they need to check their predictions. Also, they should fill in the “shopping list” worksheet ( Appendix
3) individually. The video can be played more than one time if the students cannot catch up with listening. During the listening, students will make notes of whatever they can heard from the video clip, and try their best to use whatever strategies they can to accomplish the worksheet.
Post-reading activities (10 min)
1. The students will be divided into pairs. Each pair shares their information they get from the video clip as well as the strategies they used during the listening process, then verify their answers of the cloze. One representative of the pair report their completed worksheet to the whole class and the strategies they used to finish the task. The students will confirm the answers of the worksheet and discuss about what strategies they’ve used during the listening and how these strategies helped.
2.Role play:The students will be divided into four groups, each group will be given five members. Two of the groups (A,B) will be given all kinds of merchandise, while the other two groups (C,D) will be given Chinese cash.Groups A&B will try to sell things to Group C&D. During the purchase, the students need to use the vocabulary and the structures they’ve learned in the video 1&2. Also, they are encouraged to put bargain skills into practice.