Irmo Elementary Family Updates
#HeartoftheHive September 13-17
A Note From Your Principal
Dear IES Families,
Happy Sunday! I hope you have had a terrific weekend. Please review the details for this upcoming week and mark your calendars for our Virtual Curriculum Night as well as Fall Picture Day. For our Virtual Curriculum Night, you will have the opportunity to both learn specific information for your child's grade level through a prerecorded video as well as have a live virtual portion to ask questions.
I am looking for four additional amazing parents to serve on our 2021-2022 School Improvement Council (SIC) at IES. This information was originally shared with families on Wednesday, 9/8. Please see the detailed information below and submit your photo and blurb by tomorrow at midnight if you have not already. Your voice and positive influence is needed for the best for our bees! Thank you!
2021-2022 IES Curriculum Night
What do you need to know?
The 2021-2022 IES’ Curriculum Night will be held on September 15th in a fully virtual platform.
Prerecorded classroom videos will be shared at 3:00 pm on 9/15 by your classroom teacher. This will include specific information about your child's grade level curriculum and classroom. This will allow you time to view before the Q&A portion.
The teacher will also provide a live virtual question and answer portion from 5:30-6:00, following the prerecorded video, to answer any questions you may have about what you have viewed.
Virtual Curriculum Night is on 9/15Prerecorded portion shared at 3:00 pm by email
Live Q&A portion 5:30 pm-6:00 pm by link
Irmo Elementary School is Accepting Nominations for The School Improvement Council (SIC)
The IES School Improvement Council (SIC) is an advisory council to the principal that is focused on school improvement issues. It is made up of representatives of parents, teachers, and community members. The SIC meets monthly during the school year to discuss areas of school improvement and support at IES. We are selecting four parent representatives for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Would you like to serve in the heart of the hive? Please submit a "get to know you blurb" and photo of yourself (or photo of you with your IES students) to Carol Tomlin (school secretary) at firstname.lastname@example.org. This blurb and picture submitted will be used in the voting process.
- Potential candidates will be accepted until midnight on Monday, September 13th.
- Parents will have the opportunity to cast their vote electronically from the names submitted by 9/13 at 12 pm. Virtual voting will be held from September 15-September 22.
Run Hard is BACK for BEES!-We have a few spots left!
The Run Hard Club is an eight week running club for elementary and middle school students that equips students to run a 5K. During the season, students train twice a week for about 1 hour with a focus on endurance training and the Run Hard Core Values. Our very own IES staff coach our bees which allows us to continue with this option during this time. If you are interested in Run Hard for your bee please register at runhard.org. The cost for the season is $90. Our season will begin October 4th!
Congratulations to our IES AND D5 Outstanding Elementary School Volunteer Group of the Year for 2020-2021: McGregor Snack Pack Program
Congratulations to our IES AND D5 Outstanding Elementary School Business Partner of the Year for 2020-2021: Chick-Fil-A Harbison
D5 COVID-19 Close Contact and Quarantine Update
School District Five has updated our guidelines for quarantining close contacts.
If your child has been identified as a close contact to someone who tested positive for COVID-19, then your child will be required to quarantine 10 days from the date of exposure. There are four conditions in which a student does not have to quarantine:
- Guardian provides a positive PCR test within the last 90 days for student.
- Guardian provides a record of a positive antigen test within the last 90 days for student. A positive antibody test will not be accepted.
- Guardian provides proof of full COVID-19 vaccination for student.
- Guardian provides proof of a negative test on day 5 or after. A student may then return to school on day 8 of quarantine.
School District Five created Levels of Mitigation based on guidance from SCDHEC Mitigation Guidance based: COVID-19 Interim Guidance for K-12 School Operations and began the school year operating on Level Orange.
- View School District Five’s COVID-19 Operations guidance and Levels of Mitigation: Levels of Mitigation Text only version: Levels of Mitigation
These COVID-19 prevention strategies remain critical to protect people, including students, parents and guardians, teachers, and staff, who are not fully vaccinated, especially in areas of moderate-to-high community transmission levels:
- Mask use
- Physical distancing
- Contact tracing, in combination with isolation and quarantine
- Staying home when sick and getting tested
- Screening testing to promptly identify cases, clusters, and outbreaks
- Handwashing and respiratory etiquette
- Cleaning and disinfection
If we utilize these tools in an effective manner it can help us stop the spread of COVID-19 and keep in-person learning going and keep schools out of Level Red.
Level Red may occur if a school reaches a level of High community transmission & high positive case rate on District COVID-19 Dashboard (More than 15%). The Superintendent will make the decision to go to Red based on what he calls the ISS model (Instruction, Safety, and Supervision)-can the school provide safe instruction for students, can the school provide a safe learning environment for staff and students and can the school provide supervision of the students.
The district debuted a new dashboard on Monday August 23. You can access the new dashboard by visiting: www.lexrich5.org/covid19dashboard. The 2021-2022 dashboard features the number of positive, isolated, and quarantined students and staff. Some components will be updated daily while others will be updated every Thursday. This dashboard will also publicize the mitigation level for the current week for each school.
For more information on health and safety protocols, click the "21-22 COVID-19 Information" tab on our district website or visit www.lexrich5.org/21-22reentry.
9/14 Virtual PTA Board Meeting
9/15 Virtual Curriculum Night
9/16 Fall Picture Day