Ed Tech Tips with E. Mosier
Make your classroom more E-fficient!
Global Classrooms with a Mystery Google Hangout
What is a Mystery Hangout?
What Materials are needed?
The best part about the Mystery Hangout, aside from the students having so much fun, is its ease of completion. All that is needed is a webcam and a microphone - two basic tools on a student Chromebook. However, when there's an entire class, it would work better having a webcam set up on a desktop computer as well as a plugin microphone. Two simple pieces that can transform this lesson in seconds!
How do I get started?
Taking the Hangout a Step Further
Using a Mystery Hangout in the Classroom
- In a foreign language class, connect with another class that primarily speaks that language and communicate in their native language.
- Ask an author of a book you're reading to do a Hangout with your class and discuss the novel.
- Invite professionals in a field to join your class to discuss their profession and what types of subjects they use in their work each day.
- Find a class to do a simple project with, such as math problem solving, science labs, or country reports. Then, connect via Hangout to discuss similarities and differences in the two lessons.
- Ask local (or national) celebrities to join your class instead of having them come in to discuss. This frees up their travel time and offers more interaction time with your students.
Additionally, a HUGE thank you goes out to Mr. Lance McClard (@drmcclard), an elementary principal in Jackson, Missouri for connecting us to his eager class of 2nd and 3rd graders for this opportunity. We appreciated being invited!