March 28-31 ***5th Grade Math Newsletter***
Spring is Here!
Expectations for Student Work
- Follows the directions provided
- Shows evidence of learning and effort.
**Students have their login information and are expected to practice minimal 1 hour daily.
Visit EDMODO for helpful PowerPoint and Links.
This Week's Homework
STUDENTS ARE SUBMITTING HOMEWORK THAT DEMONSTRATES OBVIOUS ACCESS TO THE TEACHER'S EDITION OR ANSWER KEY, WHICH IS A FORM OF ACADEMIC DISHONESTY.
PLEASE NOTE: IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT STUDENT'S SUBMIT AUTHENTIC WORK.
***Worksheets are available on Edmodo on 3/27/16
SPRING BREAK PRACTICE
***WILL BE EMAILED AND POSTED ON EDMODO ON THURSDAY 3/31/16
Volume and Measurment
Unit 6: Volume and Measurement
In this unit students will:
• change units to related units within the same measurement system by multiplying or dividing using conversion factors.
• use line plots to display a data set of measurements that includes fractions.
• use operations to solve problems based on data displayed in a line plot.
• recognize volume as an attribute of three-dimensional space.
understand that volume can be measured by finding the total number of same size units of volume required to fill the space without gaps or overlaps
. • understand that a 1-unit by 1-unit by 1-unit cube is the standard unit for measuring volume.
• select appropriate units, strategies, and tools for solving problems that involve estimating and measuring volume.
• decompose three-dimensional shapes and find volumes of right rectangular prisms by viewing them as decomposed into layers of arrays of cubes.
• measure necessary attributes of shapes in order to determine volumes to solve real world and mathematical problems.
• communicate precisely by engaging in discussion about their reasoning using appropriate mathematical language.