STANWOOD HIGH SCHOOL
FAMILY UPDATE FOR WEEK OF june 5th, 2023
SHS VISION STATEMENT
Stanwood Spartans are united in cultivating character, modeling respect, teaching leadership and connecting to community.
This is an exciting week at Stanwood High School as we will have the graduation ceremony for the Class of 2023. This year we have a record-breaking 17 valedictorians (see photo above). We also have one salutatorian. We look forward to celebrating with our senior class on Friday, June 9th, at the graduation ceremony.
Salutatorian: Owen Thayer
Valedictorians: Cezanne DePew, Ethan Eichler, Mason Ferguson, Magdalen Flickner, Henry Hannawalt, Madeline Husser, Ella Jung, Lindsey Khoury, Ana Marriott, Macauley Martin, Keaton Mayernik, Lane Ovenell, Grady Roberts, Robert Schmidt, Cameron Smythe, Lael ten Hoopen, Quinn Weller
Yearbooks are in!
Additional Yearbooks will be for sale (during regular selling times) and available on a first-come/first-serve basis beginning with SENIORS. After Graduation, the remaining Yearbooks will be open for purchase by grades 9-11.
JUNE 6TH MATH NIGHT
2023 Scholarship Night
Senior Athletic Awards Night
Senior Memory Night - June 6th
Senior Memory Night begins at 6:30 pm in the PAC. This is a free event for
students and families.
This event is sponsored by the SHS Booster Club Grad Night Committee and is not a school event.
SENIOR PARADE June 7th
High School Seniors will decorate and stage between 5:30-6:30 pm at Country Store. The Parade will start at 6:30 pm and end at Josephine’s. Bring your signs and cheer on the Seniors! Stay downtown and support local businesses for dinner!
This event is sponsored by the SHS Booster Club Grad Night Committee and is not a school event.
Senior Check Out June 8th
- If you have finished with your Chromebook, you may turn it in before the designated times on June 7th and 8th.
- Running Start Students, if you do not receive your Check Out form during the period you are on-site for classes, your checkout will be held in the Office. Please stop by BEFORE beginning your Check-out process.
- Partial-Day Students, you will receive your form during the last class you have on campus on Wednesday. You will be able to pick up your form in the Office on Thursday before the Check-out as well.
senior baccalaureate june 8th
On June 8th, family, friends, and members of the community are invited to join and celebrate with the class of 2023. It is an evening of praise, appreciation, and gratitude. The program begins at 6:30 pm in the Performing Arts Center at SHS.
This event is sponsored by the Class of 2023 and is not a school event.
senior sunset june 8th
The annual senior sunset will be held on June 8th at 8 pm at the stadium.
GRADUATION PRACTICE JUNE 9TH
ROOTS TO WINGS JUNE 9TH
GRADUATION JUNE 9TH
Graduation will be held at 7 pm at the Bob Larson Stadium on Friday, June 9th. This is a ticket only event. Children on laps age 2 and under do not need tickets. The gates will open at 6 pm. Half of the main stadium parking lot will be for handicap parking only. There will be limited handicap seating on the track.
We will have a limited number of tickets for sale in the office starting on June 9th beginning at 7:15 a.m. Senior families will be able to purchase two tickets at a price of $2 each (until we run out of tickets).
Seniors need to arrive at SHS by 6 pm at the upper south gym. Seniors can park at the ag parking lot (front of the high school), staff parking lot (back of the school), or at the Church Creek Campus parking lots.
Live Stream - End of Year Events
FINAL TRANSCRIPT GOOGLE FORM
REMINDER: MESSAGE FROM THE SHS NURSES
REMINDER: SUMMER SCHOOL OPPORTUNITY
We will offer summer school in August at our school. If students failed a course, they are eligible for summer school. The program will be free this summer.
Please open the document below for all the information and application.
Chromebook Check in for Grades 9-11
Chromebook check-in for grades 9-11 will be on June 13th and 14th.
Check-out forms will NOT be needed.
Zaid and Friends. A Celebration of Music.
ANNUAL ACTION PLAN
ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT UPDATE
Congratulations to all our Spartan spring athletes on a fantastic season! Just some of the many, many highlights to pass along:
- There were 20 Track & Field athletes competing at the 3A state championships last weekend. The Spartan girls team earned a combined 7th place team finish, and the girls ambulatory team took 2nd place!
- Eli Caniglia won a state title in the high jump, clearing the bar at 6-feet, 6-inches!
- Grace Crain placed 2nd in the Javelin (127’10”)
- Abi Danielson finished 3rd in the 300 meter hurdles (44.95) and 6th in the 100 meter hurdles (15.64)
- Mary Andelin took 4th in the 3200 meter race (10:49.69 — a school record!) and 7th in the 1600 meter (5:03.22)
- Vivienne Berrett took 10th in the shot put (34-08)
- Miya Watanabe climbed the state podium three times in the ambulatory categories: 5th in the javelin, 5th in the shot put, and 7th in the 100 meter race
- Tucker Randall earned three trips to the podium in the ambulatory categories: 3rd in the discus, 4th in the shot put, and 6th in the javelin
- In golf, Conrad Chisman shot a 71-75 to finish 3-over and in fourth place overall at the 3A state boys tournament at Indian Summer Golf and Country Club. Sam Johnston also advanced to the second round. Brooke Lund represented the Spartan girls at state.
- Softball caught fire late in the season and powered their way into the state tournament for the first time since 2010. Great season!
- Girls tennis sent three to the 3A state tournament: singles player Audrey Medina and the doubles team of Tessi Mumbuluma and Alissa Rautenberg.
In the past few days we learned that 40 Spartans were named to the All-Wesco teams for the spring season. See all the names HERE.
On Thursday, the Spartans celebrated the Class of 2023 at Senior Athletic Awards Night. Congratulations to more than 50 Spartan seniors who earned honors, including Booster Club Scholar Athletes of the Year Lael ten Hoopen and Mason Ferguson; Booster Club Athletes of the Year Vivienne Berrett and Ryder Bumgarner; WIAA Cliff Gillies Award winners Lindsey Khoury and Lane Ovenell; and the USMC Distinguished Athlete Award winners Sadie Wermuth and Keaton Mayernik.
Aug. 16 (Football) / Aug. 21 - Fall Sports Begin
Nov. 13 - Winter Sports Begin
MONTHLY LIBRARY INFORMATION AND UPDATE
Book returns and textbook returns: Seniors will get their check-out sheets during 6th period on June 7th. They will continue to check out the following day, June 8th during periods 1-5. All textbooks, library books, Chromebooks, and chargers must be returned before these sheets can be signed off.
- Chromebooks and chargers will be turned in to Mr. Ward and the tech department staff in the SHS Library.
- Textbooks and library books will be turned in to the library staff, Ms. Byrum & Mrs. McNeal.
- Grades 9-11 must have everything turned in by no later than Thursday, June 15th. That includes textbooks, library books, Chromebooks, and chargers.
Summer reading lists: See the June newsletter for summer reading suggestions and ebooks! Ebooks can be checked out during the summer months! See the newsletter for more details. Use the Destiny Discover catalog to check out ebooks this summer!
May 31 - June 2: Library open
Summer SSA Line for Families
This is not a crisis line. If you are in an emergency situation please call 911
For Mental Health crisis please dial 988.
NEW: BELL SCHEDULES FOR WEEK OF June 5th
Monday - Regular Schedule
Tuesday - Regular Schedule
Wednesday - Late Start
Thursday - Regular Schedule
Friday - Regular Schedule (no advisory)
REMINDER: COUNSELOR/ADMINISTRATOR BREAKDOWN
Do you have questions and are not sure who to contact? Here is the breakdown by counselor and administrator based on student last name.
Paige Watson A – Em
Maren Holzinger En - K
Tricia Tayon L - Rh
Emily Elde Ri - Z
Carolyn Coombs A – K
Tom Wilfong L - Z
Zach Ward - Attendance
June 6th - School Board meeting 1 pm/District Office
June 6th - Senior Memory night (not sponsored by the school district) 6:30 pm/PAC
June 8th - Senior check out 1 pm/Commons
June 8th - Baccalaureate for seniors (not sponsored by the school district) 6:30 pm/PAC
June 8th - Senior Sunset 7:30 pm/Bob Larson Stadium
June 9th - Senior rehearsal upper south gym/7:45 am
June 9th - Senior Roots to Wings Elementary School Walks - leave SHS at 10:30
June 9th - Class of 2023 Graduation (ticket only 7 pm/Bob Larson Stadium)
June 9th - No advisory
June 16th - Field day in afternoon
June 19th - No School
June 20th - Last day of school/out at 9:40 am
June 20th - Final assembly
June 20th - School board meeting 1 pm/District Office
DISTRICT NON-DISCRIMINATION STATEMENT
The Stanwood-Camano School District does not discriminate in employment, programs, or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. Inquiries regarding compliance and/or grievance procedures may be directed to the District's Title IX/Affirmative Action Officer and Civil Rights Compliance Coordinator, Maurene Stanton (email@example.com), or the Section 504/American Disabilities Act Coordinator, Robert Hascall (firstname.lastname@example.org) Stanwood-Camano School District, 26920 Pioneer Hwy, Stanwood, WA 98292. Telephone: (360) 629-1200.
El Distrito Escolar de Stanwood-Camano School District no discrimina en sus programas o actividades por motivos de sexo, raza, credo, religión, color, origen nacional, edad, condición de veterano de guerra o grado militar, orientación sexual, expresión de género o identidad, discapacidad o uso de perro guía entrenado o animal de servicio, y ofrece igualdad de acceso a los Boy Scouts y a otros grupos de jóvenes especificados. El empleado mencionado a continuación ha sido designado para atender consultas y quejas de supuesta discriminación: Título IX / Oficial de Acción Afirmativa y Coordinador de Cumplimiento de Derechos Civiles, Maurene Stanton (email@example.com), o la Sección 504 / Coordinador de la Ley de Discapacidades Estadounidenses, Robert Hascall (firstname.lastname@example.org), Distrito Escolar Stanwood-Camano, 26920 Pioneer Hwy, Stanwood, WA 98292. Teléfono: (360) 629-1200.