Our Classroom Newsletter
Week of September 19th-23rd
Notes from Ms. Simmons
THANK YOU for the beautiful flowers and sweet cards! They made my birthday so special and I really appreciate your thoughtfulness!
A few quick reminders for this week:
- Monday, September 19th Scholastic orders are due. You may order online by using this link and following the directions on the page: https://clubs.scholastic.com/home. Our class code is H8JXF.
- Wednesday, September 21st is an early release day. We will dismiss the children at 12:30.
Raz-Kids Accounts are set up and ready to go!
Teacher username: asimmons15
Here's what we're learning:
- Reviewing character traits and setting
- Monitoring our reading and fixing words that don't sound right/look right/make sense
- Thinking while we read and marking our thinking with a post-it note
- Strategies for subtraction
- Shortcuts for harder subtraction problems
- Fact families
- Learning to "show not tell" by adding dialogue, action and feeling to stories
- Choosing the right transition words
- Re-reading a story like a detective to be sure it makes sense and the conventions are correct
- Recognizing the long A vowel pattern in -ai, -ay, and a (consonant) e words
- Recognizing that long A can sometimes be spelled with an -ei (as in eight or weight)
- Studying weather tools including the wind vane
- Understanding weather symbols and their meanings
Special Area Schedule for this week...
9/19: Scholastic orders due
9/21: Early Dismissal
9/27: Rob Fowler visit
10/3: Park West Campus Education Fund Campaign begins
Monday: Brody, Eddie, Mikayla, Amari, Jaydon
Tuesday: Ryan, Zoe, Summer, Lilly, Peyton
Wednesday: Sophia, Marissa, Sydni, Kelsey, Jack
Thursday: William, Charlie, Dallas, Brinkley, River
Friday: Colin N., Jacob, Whitney, Colin R.