Pioneer Family Communication
Week of September 24, 2023 - September 30, 2023
From the Desk of Principal Mr. Desmond Smith
Thank you Pioneer Caregivers,
Another great week at Pioneer! We had a highly successful Club Day Fair with the goal to increase student participation in any of our 80+ clubs/organizations.
This week will be another busy week at Pioneer. Wednesday, 9/27/23 is an early release day and Thursday, 9/28/23 we will have in-person Parent-Teacher Conferences in our teacher classrooms on 9/28/23 from 5pm-8pm. A link will be sent to parents via school messenger and go live on 9/26/23 for time slots.
Reminder to all Juniors to be sure to have your chromebooks updated by logging off and logging on. Also, please bring your school issued chromebook to school on Thursday so we can run a PSAT digital readiness check.
Congratulations to our National Merit Scholarship Semifinalists: Benjamin W. Botkin, Katerina S. Freudenberg, Oskar H. Hanson, Mason B. Holst, Micah A. Jacobson, Jessica Jia, Iris M. Maturen, Mateo C. Palomares, Sarina E. Pottow, Cameron M. Russell, Janelle M. Schafer, Alexander Swanson, Sophia S. Wang, Alain H. Zhou
Mr. Desmond Smith, Principal
Pioneer High School
PIONEER CLUB FAIR - 2023
CARE CLOSET - C311
EARLY RELEASE DAY SCHEDULE - PIONEER
IMPORTANT DATES - PIONEER
9/26 - Sign up for Parent-Teacher conferences
9/27 - Early Release Day
9/28 - In-Person Parent-Teacher Conferences @ Pioneer in classrooms
10/6 - Homecoming Game vs. Skyline
10/7 - Homecoming Dance - Semi-Formal - Tickets on sale soon! $25
10/11 - PSAT/NMQST - 11th Grade Students only - Digital Tests Ordered for all Juniors!
PSAT/NMSQT 2023 - Testing Updates/Test Schedule
Testing/Late start on Wednesday, October 11th. Please email Dr. Hyliard directly regarding any questions about PSAT/NMSQT Testing - email@example.com
11th GRADE STUDENTS only:
1. PSAT/NMSQT - The digital PSAT/NMSQT is required to participate in the National Merit Program. This test is for Pioneer Juniors only. Students in 9, 10 or 12th grade will NOT be taking the PSAT/NMSQT test on October 11th. Pioneer 9th & 10th Grade students will take the PSAT in the Spring of 2023. 12th Grade Students have already completed their testing requirements.
2. Preparing for PSAT/NMSQT Test Day
All AAPS High School Issued Chromebooks have the BLUE BOOK APP. Students can access by logging out of their chromebook then turn on the chromebook and in the lower left corner is a tab that says APPS. Click APPS and choose the BLUE BOOK APP. Then click” practice test” for PSAT.
* 1) PSAT testing must be taken with a District supplied Chromebook - HIGH SCHOOL
2) Students who have not used their Chromebooks recently should make sure they are holding a charge, have been updated (most current Chrome OS is 117.0) and have been on a network (even home internet) for a few hours so that they have the most current DRC insight and Blue book apps installed on their chromebook.
3. TESTING ROOM ASSIGNMENTS: Room assignments will be posted on 10/6/23 near the Learning Center Doors, 2nd Floor-Planetarium Wall, and on the 3rd Floor on the wall in-between rooms C325 & C327.
4. TEST DAY: Testing Day is Wednesday, October 11, 2023. Students must be in their testing room by 8am! Late students may be turned away. Once chromebooks open and testing begins students cannot be let in the testing room. Students should arrive at 7:30am.
5. WHAT TO BRING: Drivers License or other photo ID (test ID's provided at Pre-Bubbling), Face coverings are encouraged, 2 No. 2 pencils sharpened with erasers, a calculator (not provided), a drink, or snack for your break. A calculator app is available digitally in the testing app.
6. WHAT NOT TO BRING: Prohibited Items List - CLICK HERE, Do not bring any prohibited electronic devices including airpods, smart watches, or cell phones. Do not bring ear plugs(unless approved accommodation). You will be dismissed from the test if these items enter the testing room.
More information about PSAT/NMSQT & click the corresponding link below.
Pioneer Leadership Team
LATE START SCHEDULE - 10.11.23
Information for 9th, 10th, & 12th Grade Students:
1. LATE START SCHEDULE ATTENDANCE: Attendance is expected for all students 9-12 on Wednesday, October 11. Students (9,10 & 12) should arrive at 11:30a and report to the cafeteria, annex, or courtyard for lunch. There will be no admittance to the 2nd or 3rd floors until testing is over.
2. TRANSPORTATION: Buses will run on normal times. There will be no late buses. Students that ride the bus will report to the cafeteria annex please bring any homework. We will have staff available to support students in any academic needs.
*3. ACADEMIC SUPPORT: Pioneer specific subject Staff Instructors will be located in the Cafeteria Annex for any 9th, 10th, or 12th grade students that want to arrive by 8am and receive additional academic support. Students that arrive early must stay in the cafeteria or cafeteria annex. *Please contact Dean Bullinger - firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot as spaces are limited.
Buy your HOMECOMING TICKETS NOW!
Access Code = Student Number
AP TESTING @ PIONEER
Pioneer Administration Team Assignments
Athletics - Ms. Eve Claar
9th Grade Dean - Ms. Jodi Bullinger
10th Grade Last Name A-L - Dr. Daniel Hyliard
10th Grade Last Name M-Z - Mr. Kevin Hudson
11th Grade - Mr. Kevin Hudson
12th Grade - Dr. Daniel Hyliard
AAPS Family Technology Assistance
Students & Families - Technology Virtual Help Desk
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday from 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM
Open a ticket: email@example.com
Schedule an In-Person Appointment: call the Student & Family Help Desk
The Writing Center at Pioneer High School wants to help! We are open daily during both lunches and 4th Hour in room C216. We offer online writing assistance through our website and hold fun writing competitions throughout the year. We want to help with brainstorming, revising, editing, polishing, and really any part of your writing assignment! Come see us!
SCHOOL STARTS at 8AM - Doors Open at 7:35AM
1. CLOCKTOWER - this location backs up so please plan accordingly
2. FLAGPOLE ENTRANCE - near student parking lot
3. E-HALL ENTRANCE - near the tennis courts
Please do not drop off students in the 7th Street Bus Loop
PIONEER BELL SCHEDULE
Senior Portraits are due by November 17, 2023. Directions to submit them can be found on our website. If you choose not to submit a portrait, we will use your school photo.
Senior Tributes are due by February 10, 2024. These loving tributes to your student can be purchased through YearbookForever.com by selecting "Create a Senior Ad".
Preferred names: If your student goes by a name other than their legal name, that name is in PowerSchool as a "preferred name," and they would like to be referred to as such throughout the yearbook, please direct them to fill out this form so we get it right!
Order a yearbook today! Prices increase on December 31, 2023.
RAHS @ PIONEER
PTSO @ Pioneer
Dear Pioneer Families,
Welcome to the 2023-2024 school year! At Pioneer High School, we prioritize top-notch education for our students, safety for our students and staff, and community connections for our Pioneer families. The Pioneer PTSO (Parent, Teacher, Student Organization) supports Pioneer High School within all three of these foundational pillars.
Pioneer PTSO funds are used for the following:
- grants for teachers who need to purchase supplemental learning tools for their classrooms (guest speakers, online subscriptions, extra books, lab materials, etc.)
- holiday gift cards for families in need (food, clothing, etc.)
- teacher and staff appreciation events
- student activities and registration materials (Wagongate, Ice Cream Socials, Freshmen Orientation)
-scholarships for prom, yearbook, Bon Voyage, and homecoming
Please consider donating to the Pioneer PTSO for this school year. You can donate on our Square website at https://ann-arbor-pioneer-high-school-ptso.square.site/ or by scanning the QR code below. We typically suggest $50 per student, but welcome any donation you would like to make. We did not mail a letter home with an envelope and need folks to donate so that all programs have what they need to be successful.
The PTSO also needs people to join the organization. Parents who want to help shape the future at Pioneer High School for their children have a voice through the organization. You can help as little or as much as you are able. You can even pick the events that you would like to be a part of! Please click on the QR code below to get your name on our volunteer list. Please note that a one-time background check is required to do any volunteering in the AAPS.
We need help with WagonGate- a special tailgate for the 9th graders. Please sign up to donate snacks or games using the signup genius below. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0F4CADAC23A3FE3-pioneer2#/
You will also need to fill out the volunteer form and submit a background check- it is good for the WHOLE YEAR!
Every year after graduation, Pioneer hosts a Bon Voyage celebration for all seniors in a safe and fun way with food, games, a casino and prizes. This in-school tradition was started after an alcohol-related car crash claimed the life of a Pioneer senior on graduation night in 1994. This year, Bon Voyage will take place on Thursday, June 6, 2024 and requires a lot of volunteer support and resources to make it happen. Please email Dani Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to be added to the volunteer list. We need non-senior parent help the most, as most seniors would rather not party the night away with their parents. A great way to pay it forward and meet other families.
Here are some important dates for exciting Pioneer events coming up:
Capsule Night Wednesday September 12th - Senior Parent Meeting 5:00 pm-6:00 pm, visit classes in person 6:30 pm-8:00 pm
Wagongate Thursday September 14th 5- 6:30pm (Wagongate is a 9th grade only event that is essentially a tailgate before a home football game, free to all 9th grade students, includes food and games! A great time for freshmen to build community and have fun!)
Parent Teacher Conferences Arena Style September 28th from 5:00 pm-8:00 pm
Homecoming Saturday 10/7
If you have any questions or want to learn more, please contact Jill Anderson at email@example.com
Thank you for your support!
Your Pioneer PTSO
Jill Anderson, Jodi Wilkins, Laura Houk, Michele Loewe, Mary Jane Worden, Dani Jones, Laura McEwen, Lindsay Vlasak, Bethany Williston, Kelly Cleland, Jill Schloff, Rachel Robinson, Laura Florence, Liz Kolb, Lynne Pauer, Jenni Wilkening, and Amy Frontier