Preparing For Your Appointment
Follow these 6 steps to make the most of your visit at Olin!
Step 1. Know Your Location!
MSU Student Health Services is available in 5 convenient locations throughout campus. Our four Neighborhood clinics are available for treatment of illness or minor injuries, and are located in South Hubbard, Brody, McDonel, and Holden Halls.
A broader range of health and wellness services are provided at our main location on the north end of campus, Olin Health Center.
Step 2. Make Your Appointment!
To make an appointment call: 517.353.4660
Step 3. Make a List!
Things to include on your list:
- symptoms, questions, or concerns,
- current medications: prescription and non-prescription, vitamins, and any medication that you've had an allergic reaction to or unpleasant side effects with,
- doctors you've seen recently or see regularly,
- operations you've had and the reason for those,
- health habits and exposures.
Step 4. Prepare Your Insurance for Your Visit.
When attending your appointment, make sure to bring your insurance card (or a photocopy of the front and back of the card) to your visit.
If you already have insurance:
- Check with your insurance company to determine whether your insurance plan will cover services at MSU Student Health Services, or elsewhere in the greater Lansing area.
- MSU Student Health Services participate with the Aetna Student Health Plan, traditional BCBS, BCN, Cofinity, PHP for urgent care, and most other Blue Cross/Blue shield plans. Other HMOs and PPOs will consider us to be out of network.
Go to our website for more information: Health Insurance Coverage!
Step 5. Let us Know of Special Needs and Ask a Friend!
Also, if you think it will help, ask a friend or family member to come with you to your appointment to take notes, listen, and offer support.
- "Checklist for Things to Do Before Going to the Doctor." Allegheny County Health Department, n.d. Web. <http://www.achd.net/depression/pubs/pdf/Checklist.pdf>.
- Olin Student Health Services. <http://www.olin.msu.edu/>
- One Medical Group. "Take Note: 7 Ways to Optimize Your Next Office Visit." 1Life Healthcare, 11 May 2011. Web. <http://www.onemedical.com/blog/live-well/take-note-7-ways-to-optimize-your-next-office-visit/>.
- "What You Can Do to Prepare for Your Doctor’s Appointment." Partnership for Healthcare Excellence, n.d. Web <https://www.harvardpilgrim.org/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/PROVIDERS/PATIENT/HANDOUTS/PREPAREFORDRAPPT.PDF>.