Cleaning and Sanitizing
ServSafe Chapter 10
To use cleaners correctly, follow these guidelines:
- Follow manufacturers' instructions carefully. If not used as instructed, cleaners can become harmful.
- Do NOT use a cleaner that has a different purpose in replace of another.
By using heat and chemicals, food-contact surfaces can be sanitized.
- Soak item in hot water (171*F)
- At least 30 seconds
- Or through a high-temperature dishwasher
- Tableware, utensils, and equipment can be soaked in a chemical sanitizing solution
- Or you can rinse, swab, or spray
Three Types of Chemical Sanitizers
- Concentration - The amount of sanitizer to water *Critical
- Temperature - Water needs to be at a correct temperature before mixing with a sanitizing solution
- Contact Time - Sanitizer solution must make contact with the object being sanitized within a certain amount of time
- Water Hardness - Affects how effective the sanitizer works; Amount of minerals in water
- Water pH - pH of water also affects a sanitizer
How and When to Clean and Sanitize
- Scrape or remove food bits from surface
- Wash the surface
- Rinse the surface
- Sanitize the surface
- Allow the surface to air-dry
How to Clean and Sanitize in a Three-Compartment Sink
- Rinse, scrape, or soak items before washing them
- Wash items in first sink
- Rinse items in second sink
- Sanitize items in third sink
- Air-dry items on a clean and sanitized surface
Cleaning and Sanitizing in the Operation
"Vomit and diarrhea can carry Norovirus, which is highly contagious. Correct cleanup can prevent food from becoming contaminated. It will also keep others from getting sick."
Developing a Plan
- Creating a Master Schedule - what/who/when/how it should be cleaned
- Training your staff to follow it - Schedule time for training
- Monitoring the program to make sure it works - Make sure it's working
If food-contact surfaces are in constant use, how often must they be cleaned & sanitized?
B. Every 5 hours
C. Every 6 hours
D. Every 8 hours
What is Sanitizing?
B. Reducing the pH of a surface
C. Reducing the hardness of water
D. Reducing pathogens to safe levels
What is the correct way to clean & sanitize a prep table?
B. Remove food from the surface, sanitize, rinse, wash, air-dry
C. Remove food from the surface, wash, sanitize, air-dry, rinse
D. Remove food from the surface, air-dry, wash, rinse, sanitize